Sony XDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD Radio Tuner - Exceptional! - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-10-09, 11:33 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Another dimming solution

My non-invasive solution to the problem of the info panel glowing brightly all the time was accomplished with a Harmony remote that runs the whole living room AV system.

I added some custom commands to the XDR-F1HD's routine on the Harmony so that when I select "Listen to Radio" it activates the tuner but also triggers a couple of dimmer commands in order to raise it to medium and then full brightness while on.

When I select another activity on the Harmony not requiring the tuner it triggers enough dimmer commands to set it to the lowest setting (quite dim) just before it powers it off. That's how it stays until needed again. At that dimness it doesn't seem more noticeable than the powered-off display of the DVD-VCR player beside it.

I can live with that. As for the power outage problem, maybe I'll dig out that giant capacitor I kept from a dead air conditioner I scrapped... I was saving it for something just like this but I'll have to go check the values on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-10-11, 03:59 PM
DHC Supporter

Stampeder, thanks for your solution for the tuner display. I added 'bright' command once on the 'Listen to HD Radio' activity to turn display on brightest and added 'bright' command twice when turning activity off to dim display to lowest. Works great with Harmony One.
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 11:34 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep that's the ticket. I couldn't remember the count of signals or the command name but that's it!

post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-10, 12:36 AM

Discontinued?

Has the XDR-F1HD been discontinued?

Not much on eBay (and high prices for recent offerings) and B&H say it has been discontinued and can't find much googgling.

It is/was fabulous compared to any other tuner I've had, with iBiquity HD just icing on the cake. But various annoying shortcomings (like losing its memory in twenty minutes with no power (unless you do a simple mod)).

Upgraded versions????

Ben

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-10, 12:43 PM

Yes the XDR-F1HD and the XDR-S10HDiP are both discontinued. I spoke to Sony Style USA support about this to confirm. They had no information about if or when there would be replacement models. We will see.....
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-10, 02:02 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

What a shame, and I doubt many owners will be parting with theirs.
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-10, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Kinda sounds like it will join the ranks of fabulous tuners of the past..

McIntosh MR-80
Marantz 10B
Dynalab 101 (not sure of the full correct model #)
Sansui TU-9900 (I had one)

I think the Dynalab WorldPort is still being made...

There are others of course but that's what comes to mind at the moment..

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-10, 09:48 PM

With the acclaim it received (and Sony must have known what a star they potentially had), why?

I understand the heart of the unit was a Philips component. Was this just the front-end or was all the trick signal processing that made the Sony great also inside the off-the-shelf Philips piece?

What other gear has that Philips component inside? Something in the pipeline from Sony for $350?

We just bought a Florida condo halfway between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. I was keen to try HD reception down there. A conventional yagi would get PBS stations front and back since they are about 170 degrees apart.

Maybe I'll have to carry the Sony whenever I go!!!

post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-11, 01:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Maybe I'll have to carry the Sony whenever I go!!!
Make sure you have a sufficiently long extension cord for your travels. :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 10:01 PM

http://www.antonline.com/p_SY-XDRF1H...953.htm?sID=NX

This ad showed up in the advertising on this site and there it was. The radio some of you have been looking for.

Never heard of Ant Online before. Not sure where they are located.
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 01:09 AM
DHC Supporter

ANT On Line is Atlanta Network Technologies in Georgia. I bought my Sony there 2 years ago...best price I could find at the time... but they are also 'Out of Stock'.
post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 05:09 PM

Any news of a new Sony or equivalent FM-HD?

Just returned from Florida. Great PBS classical music at our snowbird condo but ONLY on an HD-2 channel. That Sony received it beautifully. Therefore I rely on HD to hear it.

post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 02:51 PM

You know that nice Sony tuner that everybody bought for $80.... well, a used one just sold on eBay for us$207 (plus $8.50 shipping).

Sony has not been doing well in recent years. Can they be THAT stupid to terminate a model that people will pay 3X the price for when used?

I can't believe it.

Yes, model had some shortcomings. But for signals less than full strength, I never had better sound, right down to barely any signal power at all. And getting HD is a plus too.

Guess I'll have to schlep the tuner to Florida if I want to get the good music that NPR broadcasts on a secondary HD channel near our snowbird condo - can't pick it up with regular FM-stereo reception.

Ben

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 03:12 PM

Makes no sense. Here is a product people want, yet SONY won't re-release it. Just release it, and this time add two speakers to it, and it's a new product. Simple as that.

If you are looking for a second HD Radio that you might want to use at your condo. Amazon USA has re-furbished TEAC HD-1.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 09:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

If Sony doesn't make any money on it (it also relies on an essential part from Philips too) then they won't do it. I wish they'd sell or license the specs though so that a knockoff could be manufactured.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.