HD Radio in Canada - Industry & Regulatory - Page 32 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #466 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Ben some TV tuners are able to tune into WNED classical 94.5 via their OTA TV signal which has multiple audio feeds.
Yes, but.... my TV watching and my HiFi listening are in different rooms and different quality speakers.

Which leads me to my essential question for the wise persons on this forum: Quality of delivery, for folks who really, really, want top notch sound.

Let me put it this way. Can readers help me understand what transmission media fall into the "top notch" category and which are just OK good sound?

For top notch, I'd include lossless computer files, IBOC on a good day, and CDs. (And often MP4 files and vinyl records)

But where do YOU rate:

sound from my HD TV HDMI jack
FM radio
"computer radio" from quality-conscious broadcasters

Thanks.
Ben
Didn't end up selling my Sony tuner while in Florida. Maybe next year... if the C$ goes down to 68 cents again.

Grand Is.(TV ant),BostonNY(FM ant),CN Tower,all in 2 deg; 4221, 60ftRG6, 8dB distr amp
SonyHD-FM, Wine.6065, 40ftRG6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Ben my understanding is that WNED is using the TV signal to feed the audio to the 94.5 transmitter site.So the quality is depended on the TV itself.WBFO 88.7 is also transmitting HD2 signal of 94.5.This is working sometimes for me.94.5 totally useless for me.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #468 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 05:57 PM

While you may think the TV transmitter gets a HiFi feed from the radio control room, there really are all kinds of challenges to quality along the path to the TV transmitting antenna.

There are other bottlenecks subsequent to my receiving antenna as well, but I have some control over those bottlenecks.

So my question is whether the standards and typical technology of HDTV sound is high quality?

Ben

Grand Is.(TV ant),BostonNY(FM ant),CN Tower,all in 2 deg; 4221, 60ftRG6, 8dB distr amp

post #469 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

For OTA, ATSC1.0 audio comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 lossless capability baked in. ATSC2.0 and 3.0 will support DTS, TrueHD, and a bunch of other newer formats. Cable and Satellite HD offer similar audio capabilities or are moving towards them.

Back to HD Radio discussion here.
post #470 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 09:43 PM

But how do those abstract names perform as compared to HD FM? Or computer streaming compared to HD FM?

That is the essential question: does anybody need HD FM (or any broadcast medium for that matter) if their Internet streaming music (on-line, real-time) is just as good quality?

Ben

post #471 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

They're not abstract. You can look up each of them on Wikipedia to see their individual properties. As for comparing the actual audio quality it would be necessary to have the same programming simulcast via HD Radio and HDTV sources, but even then there might be audio tweaking of different sorts performed at local radio stations. CamDAB often comments on those sorts of local quirks he experiences on radio stations.
post #472 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 07:18 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Is anybody able to answer my questions comparing the performance - in theory or in practice - of those various sources to HD FM quality?

Ben

post #473 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 09:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
With Ibiquity's HD Radio being proprietary, and it's receivers not displaying bitrate or other technical details, we'll never know just what is going on with it.

I find the trend of matching the FM / HD audio quality to be massively, horrendously irritating on so many levels. (yes, there is a grammatical redundancy there, but it gets the point across :-) )

Taking a highly processed STL (Studio to Transmitter Link) and plowing it into the HD digital stream has often resulted in the digital signal sounding more "harsh" than the analogue counterpart. Very reminiscent of early masters used for making vinyl LP's being used to make CD's.

Secondly, I've come to notice that sometimes, when the analogue is delayed to match the digital, a low bitrate is used, and the result sounds beyond horrible. I suspect CKPC FM Brantford Ontario had been testing something as for a couple of days a week or so ago they sounded horrid, but it seemed to right itself and they sound fine again, but no digital component was noticed, so I suspect some analogue testing was being done. Having said that, I've heard HD Radio sound magical, same with the DAB system, but folks just keep taking shortcuts that end up not making the end result any better.

@stampeder , I cought that reference. :-) I call it the way I see it. Some may not like it, but in the end, isn't the betterment of any technological change supposed to bring improvements to as many facets as possible?

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #474 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB
Some may not like it
The broadcasters who are limiting dynamic range and other desirable audio qualities? No. Consumers who want proper audio? Much appreciated!
post #475 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 07:20 PM

Is there such a thing as AM HD radio? My Toyota Car head unit shows the HD Logo (greyed, which means it wasn't fully acquired) on a radio station on the AM dial (Sorry, don't have the frequency), but it was broadcasting silence.

Checking the HDRADIO.com site, one buffalo station (970 WCDZ) seems to broadcast on AM. I was surprised to see that it was supported. How does it sound like?
post #476 of 476 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 08:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
I don't have gear to receive HD Radio on the AM band, but there are some stations in the U.S. using it. Thus, I can't comment on the sound quality.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.