Fm transmitter - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Fm transmitter

I've had it with my stupid FM transmitter! I read how to tap into the CD L&R speaker wires and I'll give that a try. I'm wondering where a good place might be to add the 3.5mm jack. The poster uses a corner of the face of the radio. Has anyone tried somewhere else, of knows of problems I might face doing so?

Maybe someone will recommend me a new fine transmitter?

Last edited by 57; 2018-05-14 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 10:47 AM

FM transmitters are junk. I've gone through a dozen of them over the years and they always fail or get interference in major cities. Try driving down the 401 in Toronto during rush hour and tune in an "open" FM frequency - all you get is everyone's iPhone, Sirius-XM, and other devices as they drive by.

Do you have the make/model of the radio you are trying to add the jack to? If it is in a car, you may have other options to tap into it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I'll tell you that in Montreal in the rush hour is not sweet) Although to be honest I do not use the transmitter in the city only when I drive off-road or in the "backwoods."
I enter AUXradio input if you meant it

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 11:38 AM
Veteran

hello Jinjer, are you trying to play an external source in your CAR stereo? if so why would you waant to tap into the speaker wires? most car radios have an AUX (Auxiliary) input or a cd changer input, which is essentially the same as an Aux but also has extra wires to control the disc player in your trunk.

Are you trying to use one of these?

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 03:29 PM
Veteran

At one time, XM sold a device that went between the car AM/FM antenna and the car radio. It sensed the voltage from the XM radio, disconnected the car AM/FM radio and fed the XM radio FM directly into the car radio. It also worked with Sirius radios. Not sure if anything similar is still available. The XM device probably wouldn't work with other types of FM transmitters.

As already stated, modern radios often provide alternate solutions. An AUX plug is probably the best for avoiding any kind of interference. Bluetooth might also be available for use with phones and players that support bluetooth.

I don't recommend tapping into the speaker wires. It probably won't work as described and it could damage the radio or the player. Depending on the car, replacing the radio might be an option.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
I've had it with my stupid FM transmitter! I read how to tap into the CD L&R speaker wires and I'll give that a try. I'm wondering where a good place might be to add the 3.5mm jack. The poster uses a corner of the face of the radio. Has anyone tried somewhere else, of knows of problems I might face doing so?

Maybe someone will recommend me a new fine transmitter?
I think your initial post is lacking too many details to provide a meaningful response or suggestion.

1.) what is "stupid" about it?
2.) referring to something you read but without sourcing it. We supposed to guess??
3.) 3.5 mm jack.. adding it to what?? to connect from what to what?

4.) the biggest problem I can see is trying to modify something without first understanding
the interfaces / signal levels, impedances ur dealing with, etc.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 10:15 PM
Veteran

@majortom Obviously, you never had an FM Transmitter. They either fail or crappy or they get interference. The best I have found was from Monster for my iPod Classic.

@Jinjer What about buying a new car stereo?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hallo , Paolo! hmmm...Actually, I dont know... I guess its a good idea, but maybe ExDilbert rights...

majortom, as DSgamby saw, transmitters " either fail or crappy or they get interference ". My transmitter is Mpow Streambot ( info about transmitter ) . He also brakes, does not "catch" a signal, makes noise...
3.5 Jack adding to L&R speaker.

DSgamby now I'm starting to think about it ...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

But firstly, thanks u for answers!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Part of the problem with FM transmitters is that the allowed power was reduced significantly a few years ago. The newer models have hardly enough power to reach the car antenna. Meanwhile, there are people with high power models that were made before the new standards that have them connected in ways that radiate power for extended distances. The first satellite radio I had came with a long antenna wire that they recommended wrapping around the car's external antenna. That's going to drown out the signal from surrounding low power devices. A more recent FM transmitting device had no external antenna and the signal was very weak. And, yes, these devices are cheap. Most are made to sell at bargain basement price points and are not made to last. They are a disposable product. It's best to look for another solution.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 01:24 PM
Veteran

I can recall driving on the 401 and often picking up someone's Sirius XM Satellite broadcast on my car radio, even when there is quite the distance between my car and the surrounding cars. Their FM transmitter sure has a lot of transmit power, it even drowns out a high power FM station I am listening to. And yes its true the newer models are much weaker in terms of transmit power. When I first started using Sirius XM Satellite Radio, I used an FM modulator, but since then, both my car and my wifes has a 3.5 millimeter stereo auxiliary jack which I have connected to the Sirius XM radio and it pumps the broadcast right into the car stereo with no interference or signal fades

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 09:21 PM
Veteran

I would find one that allows you to transmit on any frequency from 88-108 MHz. Not just a handful of pre-canned "channels".
That way you can dial it up to the quietest channel in your area.
Goes without saying if ur in a big city, that clean spectrum will be hard to come by.
I have played with these things in my house too and the old rule of thumb, you get what you pay for applies. If your looking to spend $10 or less that's what ur gonna get.
I have never used the Sirius XM radio platform.
Call it what ya want, but IMO it is NOT radio and have no use for it.
Sad day when GM stopped putting CDs in their cars, and only put SXM radios inside..

Curious how do you tell the difference, meaning how do you know when problems you have are strictly on the FM modulator side,
and not problems with the satellite signal itself? Does the satellite receiver go in an out of lock when it has satellite problems??
Is there some indication of that to the user when there are satellite signal problems?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 10:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Sad day when GM stopped putting CDs in their cars, and only put SXM radios inside..
Can they not play music from cell phones or USB sticks, the way Fords can?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-16, 03:08 PM

My car has SDLC card input, USB input with Lightning and micro USB Connectors, a 30Gb hard disc and a DVD drive. My wife's Ipod works perfectly plugged in via Lightning.
Only thing it can't do is rip CDs to the hard drive...but there is a way to patch the car software even to do that. This is a 2014 car so it was built before the Apple and Android car play stuff.

What is this FM transmitter business in the 21st century?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 12:03 AM
Veteran

Radio features depend on the car make and model as well as the radio that was installed. Not all car radios have the features listed. I suspect that most don't have anywhere near that variety of options. Some don't even have all the features claimed by the manufacturer due to it being a fleet model or some other special purchase. Our car radio is missing Sirius/XM despite the manufacturer claiming that all their cars have it. It also doesn't have any other inputs such as a mini-plug, bluetooth or USB. All it plays is CD, AM and FM, nothing else. I had to make a bunch of CDs to listen to a playlist in the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in