Fm transmitter - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 11:44 AM
Veteran

I Purchased my car based on my research about the car's specifications, not because of the radio's features. The radio I got was a pretty basic model, so yeah I can see some people are also in the same situation as me where they buy the car based on the car's features that suit their needs, and not because of the features of the radio. Also when buying a car, some people can't afford new, so they buy used cars and can not customize the radio option and have to take the radio "As-Is" that comes with the car, and often the radios are pretty mediocre at best, with a basic AM/FM and CD Player. No USB, No Bluetooth, No iPod, no Android, and some cases no Aux. Yeah it sucks, but those are some of the reasons people may want a FM modulator, so they can listen to music without the need to constantly burn audio CD's. Some cars may not have an aux button, but still compatible with auxiliary input, as long as it accepts a CD changer. you need to do your research first which is difficult, but I managed to find this out in my previous car how to Macguyver my own auxiliary connector with a 3.5 MM jack which I could use with my ipod. There were also people who were much more knowledged they were able to macguyver a better connector with an ipod connector which interfaced with the cd changer port which even allowed them to change tracks using the car radios Skip and rewind buttons, pretty cool eh?

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the info. I didn't know such things were possible with modern car radios.

When purchasing new it's often possible to upgrade the radio. It's also possible with used but tends to be too expensive for the factory radio and sometimes not feasible with a third party radio because the car's electronics in integrated into the radio itself. Tried looking for a used factory radio upgrade once but couldn't find one. The best option I've found is the adapter box that tapped into the radio's FM antenna wire. Don't think they are a common item but wouldn't be difficult to make.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 12:37 PM
Veteran

I've never tried the FM modulators that integrate directly with the FM antenna line, but i think they would be a lot more reliable than the ones which are wireless and less prone to outside interference since the RF is shielded, however one drawback is that a lot of cars have steered away from the typical and standard FM Antenna connector. Some cars use the european fm connector, some use the Amplified european fm connector, some use a proprietary connector, some have multiple antenna connectors for cars that have optional sirius xm support, etc. so yeah it can get confusing.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 06:37 PM
Veteran

I like Paulo's roll your own plan much better than bowing to some corporate entity like SXM doing nothing but playing MP3's over and over with a computer, charging you for it...
IMO that's essentially what SXM is.

When I listen to radio, I wanna listen to it the way it's supposed to be.
With a live human being DJ, and yes commercials.
When not in the mood for that, I'd like to play my own tunes, and not some MP3 encoded files.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 06:48 PM
Veteran

SXM has DJs on many of their channels. They are very good DJs as well, some of the best in the business. The vintage music stations have DJs that have been playing music on air since as far back as the 1960s. Despite claiming to be commercial free, SXM has promos for itself, other SXM stations, artists and specials so they are there as well. Or you could listen to some of the talk stations. They also have a web service that adds programmed playlists, similar to Rhapsody and other music services. It's not a "do nothing" service but is somewhat overpriced and the music quality is about the same as MP3s so I'll give you those. As for the ads, I don't miss them at all.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I have a gadget I love for my 2008 Prius - a USB-powered Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm stereo output that I run into my AUX input. I get a little extra noise, but it's pretty decent, and was about $10, IIRC.

Rob T
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-18, 10:07 AM
Veteran

The issue with bluetooth is that early versions had low audio quality. Version 2 is about the quality of a low bit rate MP3 and is typical of cheap adapters. Newer bluetooth devices often use v4 which has much better audio quality, more channels and more features.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Rookie

Lookup Gromaudio.com. They have USB, bluetooth for just about every OEM radio head unit out there. I have been using them on everything from 1991 cars to 2009 cars.
very good quality product.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Today, 12:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Lookup Gromaudio.com. They have USB, bluetooth for just about every OEM radio head unit out there. I have been using them on everything from 1991 cars to 2009 cars.
very good quality product.
I had a chance to look at the site, they do NOT have devices for every model or every year. For example for my car (Hundai) they stop at 2009, my car is 2010, plus even if they did have one for my car, they're quite expensive at $150 USD, I might as well buy a cheap head unit open box sale from Best Buy or one of those car stereo shops for about the same price and get a new functioning car stereo with probably a lot more features.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in