Some radio news out of Saint John, N.B. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
  • 2 Post By uhclem
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Some radio news out of Saint John, N.B.

The FB page 'Canadian Radio News' reported last night that all the local on-air radio staff for the 3 Maritime Broadcasting System radio stations in Saint John, CJYC 98.9FM(Kool 98), CIOK 100.5FM(K100), and CFBC 930AM(Country Favorites), have been let go.

A member of that group drove by the Union St. studios for those stations(located in a former Bank of Montreal branch) and said that the studio lights were all turned off.

Call me silly or what have you, but I think that this may be starting to smell of a potential sale of those stations, and it also begs the question if all of MBS Radio might soon be on the block for an offer.

If MBS Radio were to be sold to a larger company, who do you think would get it?

Last edited by RaginRonic; 2018-02-16 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correction of one word for clarity.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 12:44 PM
Both CTV and Rogers are acquiring independent stations. However, this type of heavy handed approach stinks like a Bell takeover. Rogers often keeps staff through a buyout. CTV typically makes stations get rid of staff before the sale and gets rid of more after.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-02-25, 01:38 PM
I bet Saint John is the test canary in the coal mine, with the CRTC too spineless to say anything.

All hail I Heart Radio and the other mega media corpses, dishing out pre-approved pap from their marketing headquarters.

"Good morning, this the 98.9 wake up show with your hosts Alexa and Siri, with traffic reports by the Emily voice from Garmin."
Tridus and CamDAB like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.