Amazon Prime Music Comes to Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Amazon Prime Music Comes to Canada

Press release: Amazon Canada Launches Prime Music

Poked around a bit and there's a fair bit of stuff in there, although I don't know how it compares to Spotify. Also saw an article that says they finally added Chromecast support. Will have to test that tonight. Amazon's own website doesn't say as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 09:56 AM
Veteran

The "more than one million songs" in the tagline isn't too promising as Spotify advertised 20 million songs when it launched here in 2014.

--
Neil
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:43 PM
Veteran

I am a Prime member, but this is not going to peel me away from Spotify so far. No family plan, no Chromecast support and a very limited library.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Spotify is the world leader and it's tough to beat, even for a heavyweight like Amazon. Spotify's CEO, Daniel Ek, is considered to be the most powerful person in the music industry.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah looks like there's no Chromecast support in mine either, although I'm seeing Americans saying it's popping up. Weird. The lack of a family plan is also ridiculous since the US has had that for years.

I already had Prime though because my wife orders a lot of little things, so this is just a nice bonus.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 08:58 AM

Can anyone get their amazon prime music to work? Mine keeps asking me to subscribe to unlimited and when I contact Amazon, they tell me they are aware of the problem and are trying to fix it. But it appears as though others have access to it? Any insight?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 11:11 AM
Veteran

That is great if you like streaming your songs instead of owning a licence to play it back indefinately, how guaranteed is it for the songs to stay on there indefinitely, will they remove songs like how net flix removes movies every now and then? I predict in the future that no one will want to let consumers "own" rights to music, just the rights to "Stream" it digitally, but which is not good if they decide one month to remove that song from their library.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Free music services typically have limited access to features. They often limit or disable play on demand for artists and albums. Instead, you are only allowed to play service generated playlists. They also nag you to subscribe, both when logging in and when listening. It's worth $10/mo just to get rid of the nags.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It was working for me a couple days ago, haven't tried it since. I've got Prime, and I didn't hear much if any nagging.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 12:52 PM
Veteran

That's because it isn't a free service for Prime members. It's part of Amazon Prime.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 01:05 PM

It isnt a free service for Prime members? I thought if you were a Prime member this was part of your prime subscription?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 01:09 PM
Veteran

That's what threw me off and resulted in post #8. It's part of a Prime membership, therefore it's not really free. It's more like a bonus gift for buying Prime. If it was available to nonmembers then it would be free.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 01:11 PM

Oh ok, ya I get that you have to pay to be a Prime member. Ever since they launched the service in Canada, it doesnt work for me. I tried the app and the website, both just try and get me to subscribe. When I contacted amazon, they told me they were aware of the problem but didn't have a timeframe of when it would be fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.