Automation of Canadian Radio Stations - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Who works for Bell Media? Not me. is it someone else on here?

And for your info, the emergency alerting system works just damn fine the way it is. Maybe its broken where you live but where I live it works damn fine and works well. I keep in constant contact with Pelmorex and discuss the system with them, give them feedback and suggestions and so far they have been listening, have you made any effort to reach out to them and give them your feedback?

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Someone who lives in the GTA saying that *anything* is "damn fine" because it works fine in the GTA is a giant pile of horse hockey. Chances are that it is not fine in some other regions. That's like someone saying that the weather is fine or TV reception is fine or the electricity is fine on the east coast because it is fine in Toronto. That's the problem with broadcasting in Canada. It's become so centralized that it works "damn fine" for about four large cities that also happen to be political capitols and it often "sucks" for the rest of Canada.
Tridus and denben73 like this.
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 07:22 PM
Veteran

We're not talking about the emergency alerting system, which didn't exist back at the time anyway. This is about local radio being able to provide local information in an emergency and how totally useless they were because they were all on automation.

And yes, it's typical Center Of The Universe mentality to assume that if it works in Toronto it works everywhere in Canada.

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Where I find emergency alerts frustrating is that I live on the border and the weather alerts are not the same from Environment Canada and the U.S. Weather Service.

Environment Canada doesn't care about where I live - unless the same storm is affecting Hamilton/Toronto or anywhere in the GTA. Local radio may give some warning, but the Toronto radio stations provide nothing unless it is coming that way.

The U.S. information is more reliable, and specific. For example, today my weather map shows a high wind warning from Environment Canada that is covering all of Lake Ontario (no surprise as it affects Toronto) where the U.S. information is specific to high waves, shoreline flooding, and only for a specific area in one or two counties in New York.

The U.S. stations I listen to either have a live dedicated weather person who looks into local information or forecasts, or a weather person from a local TV station giving the weather information and warnings. The Canadian ones in my area (that are automated) just give the generic GTA forecast from Environment Canada that is sometimes a day or two off depending on when they took the time to record it, and the person reading it is the same one that reads commercials, bumpers, and generic stuff that is pre-recorded all day long.
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 10:58 AM
Veteran

We are seeing similar things here. One day, we had severe storm warnings for within the hour but saw nothing, barely a few clouds in the sky. I know that these things can be forecast down to a small area so it's obvious EC messed up.
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 10:27 AM
Veteran

Ok fair enough, but Trius, has anyone physically contacted the affected radio stations and let them know your complaints? sometimes people like to vent their frustration and do so online but they need to know that sometimes all that venting the company might not even know there is a complaint about their radio station so it would be business as usual and no change to the problems which are happening. If people are upset and do not complain to the stations then the onice is on them, that would be their problem.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Why bother? All they care about is happy advertisers. As far as demographics are concerned, I've been outside any that the local stations care about for over a decade. So I check the local forecast and news online while listening to Spotify. Problem solved. I've told the radio survey people as much more than once.
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Even though you answered a question which I had directed to another user I am not mad, oh well. Besides the point, I am just saying that life is much better when if you see or hear a problem, you notify the company, and guess what? 9 times out of 10, they will FIX it. if 0 people complain to the company, then chances are, it almost won't get fixed.

I had a problem with my hydro company's web site, I contacted the webmaster, I even contacted the hydro company customer service line, they acknowledged the issue and confirmed that no one else has brought it to their attention before, and I'm the first, and they were happy to fix it. The problem was there for months, but people are just lazy or think, "ahh, someone else will complain so why should I bother" and that's the problem, the someone else does NOT complain, and its a never ending cycle. sometimes JUST DO SOMETHING, will get the ball rolling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.