Automation of Canadian Radio Stations - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
I do not want to get political but Despite all the challenges of station owners owning and operating an FM Radio station in the struggling economy, I still fully support FM Radio and will FLAT OUT REFUSE to use a streaming service such as spotify or Google Music or apple music or Tital or wave or what ever they're called. and like I said I do not want to make this political, but no one NEEDS to listen to their favourite song like right this second, people in today's day and age have lost this skill called PATIENCE, they can't wait for a song to air on the radio they need it NOW...
I don't know how much more off base you could have gotten but ExDilbert covers the major points. Looking at some recently added tracks on my favourite track playlist, I have a feeling that I'd be waiting a long, long, long time for one radio station to play "I Say A Little Player" by Aretha Franklin, "Sons & Daughters" by The Decemberists, and "Sleepy Maggie" by Ashley MacIssac. Looking at what I listened to yesterday, what radio station is going to play an album of English Baroque music and the mono versions of The Rolling Stones' singles from the 1960s? Looking at my Spotify-generated playlists, what radio station is going to play thirty songs from new releases every week based on my listening history? Or make available six "endless" daily-changing genre mixes based upon what I listen to? People in this day and age are not forced to listen to whatever a corporate radio programmer decides they should listen to. This is not laziness.
Tridus likes this.

--
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 01:50 PM
Veteran

I love the Daily Mixes on Spotify! Discovered quite a bit of new artists that way.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Aretha Franklin was a great suggestion so I looked it up on Spotify. That brought up an Aretha Franklin plus 4 other related playlists. If I don't like those I can bring up a playlist based on any of the songs in the current playlist, select another playlist based on Aretha Franklin or I can select one of her albums. The possibilities are endless. It's also automated and can be rather shallow at times but it's still way better than almost any radio station.

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 12:01 AM
Veteran

Yeah this is not new, I was able to do this 20+ years ago, by simply phoning in or emailing in to a station and requesting a song, obviously your not going to call a heavy metal radio station and request a motown song, well you can if you want but that wont really get you very far. its not rocket science, and I was able to do this even before the internet was mainstream, and I would get my requests played. I have even requested songs to be played for a friend who is having a birthday, try asking spotify to give your friend a shout out on the air, I have not seen it done before. Any ways you guys are a little to hyper on this spotify stuff, chill out. We know newer technology has its pros and cons but sit back and take a deep breath and think about the bigger picture. We know technology of streaming music and its potential, but you guys are making all kinds of crap about how Conventional FM Radio Broadcasting is broken and all, which is very rong, stop taking it out on FM Radio, FM did nothing wrong, it serves its purpuse if you don't like it, then go ahead and binge your music to your hearts content, remember, spotify is doing what net flicks did for TV, letting people binge the crap out of music, but your also forgetting Radio is not just playing music, they also play news, weather, sports, comedy, skits, etc, spotify only streams music, and all these kids who are hooked /addicted to it will go thru their generation and drive to work listening to drake all the way, but someone like me who is smart, will listen to something important like news, traffic, weather, road closures, make it to work on time while the spotify addicts will be stuck in gridlock, but thats okay, they will have their favourite drake song playing so i guess it will be okay.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 12:22 AM
Veteran

I remember when I could request songs and get birthday wishes on the air as well. It's not going to happen when a station computer is playing the music or the show is being sourced from a studio 200km away. I like hearing DJs on the radio but the days of having one pick up the phone while a song is playing on the turntable are long gone.

As for news and weather and anything else local, it's more efficient to do that by other means such as a local website or a social media page. Why should I have to listen through 5 minutes of commercials to hear 5 minutes of news and weather? Gave that up a long time ago.
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 10:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Any ways you guys are a little to hyper on this spotify stuff, chill out. We know newer technology has its pros and cons but sit back and take a deep breath and think about the bigger picture. We know technology of streaming music and its potential, but you guys are making all kinds of crap about how Conventional FM Radio Broadcasting is broken and all, which is very rong, stop taking it out on FM Radio, FM did nothing wrong, it serves its purpuse if you don't like it, then go ahead and binge your music to your hearts content, remember, spotify is doing what net flicks did for TV, letting people binge the crap out of music, but your also forgetting Radio is not just playing music, they also play news, weather, sports, comedy, skits, etc, spotify only streams music, and all these kids who are hooked /addicted to it will go thru their generation and drive to work listening to drake all the way, but someone like me who is smart, will listen to something important like news, traffic, weather, road closures, make it to work on time while the spotify addicts will be stuck in gridlock, but thats okay, they will have their favourite drake song playing so i guess it will be okay.
Perhaps don't imply people are dumb when telling them to "chill out"? Perhaps realize that there are other ways to get information that smart guys like yourself use the radio for? For example, one swipe on my phone gives my the local weather. GPS mapping apps display realtime road conditions and alerts. Perhaps actually look at what Spotify or Apple Music actually offer? Apple Music in particular offers access to stations like ESPN and NPR and CBC comedy programs (or at least they did when I trial-subscribed).

Radio has its place - I wake up to the local CBC station and listen to various programs throughout the week. But others have stated why commercial stations have degraded over the years and despite your insistence on caricaturizing and belittling streaming users, a fair comparison between radio and streaming services would probably have people who want to listen to music strongly preferring streaming services in most cases.

--
Neil
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 11:33 AM
Veteran

You are A) likely Assuming this based on ONE instance of listening to a radio station in your town or community and making a country wide judgement based on that one example, this is flawed and wrong and people should know better not to do such things
B) you likely do not work in Media or Broadcasting, and are making a BLANK Statement with no factual information about what is really happening behind the scenes based on ONE radio station you listened to which probably is a bad example and does not reflect the rest of the country.
C) not everyone wants to turn on a laptop and Surf the daily or local news while trying to operate a motor vehicle, most of us would prefer to listen to a Radio station tell us the local news, traffic, weather, etc, which IS an advantage over Spotify, Not everyone listens to music, Ya know?
D) Automation IS BENEFICIAL and CAN HELP the FM Radio Station Industry too, you guys are quick to pick on the flaws based on ONE station you listen to which is probably poorly managed and is a bad example, but you need to know that Automation CAN improve the radio industry. Music also has to adhere to Can Con regulations, and stations can get a financial penalty for not adhering to this or even risk getting their licence revoked or even taken away. Automation can help with co-ordinating and scheduling to adhere to can con regulations.
E) Spotify may look like a great idea now, but because it does not adhere to Can Con regulations, it CAN and WILL hurt the Canadian Music Industry, you guys may not care because you do not work in the Entertainment or Music or Broadcasting industry, and you guys will probably tell young Canadians to screw it when young talented Canadians try to start a music career and are NOT successful, because if you have it your way and FM Radio is dead, and everyone is forced to Spotify their music, there will be no such thing as Canadian music any more, nothing will protect our artists.
F) Be careful what you wish for, Be careful of wanting Globalization, of wanting no boundaries, of wanting to be like the USA, of the wanting everything and anything right now mentality, it will cause MORE HARM than good, I am only warning you but you can do what ever you want, and when it does happen, I would like to be the first on record to say "I told ya so"

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 12:01 PM
Veteran

D) You are assuming conglomerates want to use automation to improve radio station content rather than primarily a means to cut costs. I know which alternative I'd bet on.

E) Are you saying Canadian music is inferior and needs to be protected because of its inferiority? Because if not, streaming makes it vastly easier for Canadian music to find a global audience. There are no gatekeepers - a metalhead in Estonia can listen to Skull Fist whenever they want. If the music is good, it'll get covered, put on playlists, and get listened to worldwide.

--
Neil
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 12:43 PM

Here's a new press release from Rogers. I thought it might be interesting considering the talk of automated playlists, etc.

Rogers Media’s KiSS RADiO gives listeners the power to choose what songs go to air through a new voting system available on KiSSRadio.ca and the KiSS mobile app
Agreement with Futuri Media’s innovative #engage, POST, and TopicPulse technologies puts KiSS at the forefront of audience engagement
Quote:
We are Canada’s first fully interactive station. You control the music 24/7
Vote your favourite songs up and vote down songs in real time
Get alerts to your phone when your favourite song is about to play
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-16, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
songs on the KiSS playlist are pushed up and down in real time through user votes, with the most popular songs going to air.
It's still a limited number of songs that have been chosen by the station. In practice, it won't be any different than other top 40 stations. Only the method of determining the top 40 has changed. Cancon quotas also need to be met. By law, voting cannot override that. A slight improvement only and only if it's not abused by voters.
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 09:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
but someone like me who is smart, will listen to something important like news, traffic, weather, road closures, make it to work on time while the spotify addicts will be stuck in gridlock, but thats okay, they will have their favourite drake song playing so i guess it will be okay.
Could you POSSIBLY be any more condescending? Seriously. You claim you don't want to get political and then everything you post is the stereotypical old man whining about those damn kids today and how whatever worked in the 1970s should be fine for everyone.

Someone "smart" like you will be listening to 20 minutes of corporate lies in commercials, fluff from a couple of talking heads, and well blissfully unaware that my phone already rerouted me around the road closure automatically and made me aware of the weather long before I left the house.

If FM radio is so great, why was there absolutely no local information whatsoever on it here in Fredericton during Hurricane Arthur? That was when it should have shined at the thing it does better than the alternatives... and instead we got fully automated stations with no humans present to deliver any information about damage from the storm and what was available to those who needed it (and a Toronto call in show on CBC). You know where that info was?

Twitter. Luckily my phone was charged, because my emergency radio sure was worthless unless I wanted to hear what Bob's Car Depot had on sale.

If radio can't even have someone in the building to deliver information during and immediately after a hurricane, then it's pretty clear something isn't working properly. Aside from that, online tools (and SXM for a more curated music delivery system) simply do it better.
BGY11 likes this.
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 12:15 PM

Re your C) Paolo, those of us near the centre of the universe. Aka the GTA, do have a suitable radio station on AM 680. I put up with the ads just for the traffic news.

I don't listen to FM radio at all. 680 when I am on a major road or previously recorded music from a SD card in the car. Once in while I'll listen to Sirius. I can't remember the last time I listened to radio of any sort at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If FM radio is so great, why was there absolutely no local information whatsoever on it here in Fredericton during Hurricane Arthur?
Might that be due to the corporate owners gutting the local station to cut costs? I bet if that had happened 30-40 years ago, there would have been local reporting.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 01:41 PM
Veteran

I wonder why there was not a huge public outcry over lack of hurricane information on local radio. Could it be that every news outlet is controlled by absentee corporate owners who don't want it known? Or is it because hardly anybody was listening? Given their interest in public warning systems, I'd guess that the CRTC would like to hear public concerns about lack of radio coverage during the situation.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 02:22 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I suspect many people are no longer listening because the stations are no longer worth listening to.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.