Automation of Canadian Radio Stations - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I did a little digging and found that all the radio stations I listen to locally are owned by Vista Radio. CJED-FM and CFLZ-FM.

Prior to Vista ownership, the stations had their own crews, morning shows, and tended to play music randomly or by request even...and a live person was on 24-7 (except maybe Christmas)...

Now, multiple stations have the same two DJs doing on-air commentary from 7 to 5 M to F - bouncing from format to format. The one DJ slot (morning) seems to quit after a few months, being replaced by a new person who quits shortly after, etc. etc. Even after they quit, they still have bumpers for the old DJ for weeks after. The DJ commentary on one station will be repeated on the other station minutes after.

Still getting stingers/bumpers for "Summer is Here" on both stations I listen to...and the weather segments are "2Day (or Juice) FM Weather for the Niagara Region"....with almost a minute of background beats but no weather/talking before going into the same song that always follows the weather segment. Traffic has been eliminated lately, and news seems to either be a pre-recorded segment (maybe used by all Vista Stations) that is sometimes up to date or several days old (depending on how lazy the staff is programming the computer I guess).

A lot of the commercials seem to be for the station, the Radio Player Canada App, or talking about how great advertising on the radio is. Maybe they are really hurting for paid advertising.

My favourite commercials on these stations are the ones that are clips stating "Hey, it's Taylor Swift (or any artist/band) - this is my station" without mentioning the station. I wonder if the artist knows how there words are being twisted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 11:10 AM
Veteran

As a teenager, I could call up the local station DJ and make requests. They would be played soon after. I could even walk to the studio and talk to someone. That was a real community station. It was a small city station operated on a shoestring budget but was still better than the big city stations that I sometimes listened to. Later on I met a DJ, who also became the music director, at a local station and we became friends. He, along with much of the local staff, was fired after the station was taken over by a large broadcasting company.

These days, most of the staff are hundreds of miles away and the DJs, which don't exist much of the time, are often just prerecorded banter. Might as well just let a computer do everything. Maybe that's why I quit listening to local radio and started using music services over 15 years ago. At least I get to choose the music and don't have to listen to annoying ads.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 02:20 PM
Veteran

I only notice that with both Fresh Radio stations here in the GTA, I can pick up 91.3 Fresh radio from barrie and 95.3 fresh radio from Hamilton, both owned by Chorus Entertainment. They do have a syndicated show that both stations play at roughly the same time, just with different commercials because they are targeting different cities, it would not make sense to have a commercial for a store in barrie aired on their Hamilton station and vice a versa. But maybe its just the ones you guys mentioned having the issues cus everything else with fresh radio seems OK, they have actual people talking, they have a proper traffic/weather person and not a pre-recorded script, etc. So the problem you guys are talking about does not seem wide spread,it might be localized issue or centralized to your area only cus we don't have such issues here in the GTA and Choris is not a small company by any means.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Haven't seen that kind of issue with Calgary stations, although Jack FM doesn't have a mid-day DJ (10am-2pm).
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 12:31 AM
Veteran

It also depends on what you are accustomed to. I really noticed FM stations starting to change in the mid 1970s. Up until then they were all free form. The big move then was to turn them into top 40 whatever and increase ads and revenue. Up until that time most FM stations were low budget placeholders supported by AM powerhouse sister stations. Most of today's FM stations are nothing like they were then. They are more like 1970s AM stations. I find the more established stations are the worst. They've been taken over by big broadcasting chains and had their budgets slashed by bean counters. There are some newer stations that actually produce local news and offer a little more in other ways. Still, I rarely listen to AM or FM radio unless it's on in an office or business. Occasionally, I will flip through the stations on the car radio. The rest of the time it's Spotify or my own music collection.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 08:57 AM
Veteran

I do not want to get political but Despite all the challenges of station owners owning and operating an FM Radio station in the struggling economy, I still fully support FM Radio and will FLAT OUT REFUSE to use a streaming service such as spotify or Google Music or apple music or Tital or wave or what ever they're called. and like I said I do not want to make this political, but no one NEEDS to listen to their favourite song like right this second, people in today's day and age have lost this skill called PATIENCE, they can't wait for a song to air on the radio they need it NOW, they can't wait for a TV show to air at 8 o'clock, they need to binge it NOW, they can't wait for someone to reply to an email they send you a million IMs' right NOW, they don't ring your door bell when they come to your house they send you a SMS and say "IM OUTSIDE" YEAH as forward as technology brings us, look at how lazy we've become as a society as a whole, we need to stop being lazy asses and learn a thing or two especially patience.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 09:15 AM
Veteran

Im all onesty, regardless if radio stations have become more automated, there is one thing they still do, they play good music, no one complains about the music being played, and if people do, they do not understand how music rotation works, the top songs get a lot of air play, that is just how the music industry works, they may not like it, so then change radio stations there's literally 50 or so radio stations in the GTA. The automation is good for them, yeah there have been job losses but look around you, there's job losses everywhere in Canada too. So I would not blame Automation solely for this problem. Yes it needs to be tweaked and fine tuned, just because its kind of broken now does not mean it will be broken for ever, THINGS EVENTUALLY GET FIXED. Commercials are important part of our economy and industry, if people want to PAY to get rid of them, it might be good for the consumer, but bad for the business who rely's on advertising to attract customers. I might open a business and want to put commercials to attract new customers, but if everyone is watching Netflix and listening to Spotify, no one will hear my commercial, no one reads the newspaper any more, how are people gonna know I'm advertising? People will say over and over again the traditional model is broken, but in reality it worked just fine, the new model is broken because people are stuck up and say "oh advertising? that is not our problem that's someone else's problem now"

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 12:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
but no one NEEDS to listen to their favourite song like right this second, people in today's day and age have lost this skill called PATIENCE
It's not about patience or impulsiveness. It's about variety, exploration and learning. With music services, I can listen to new genres, find new artists and songs in genres I've listened to for years and explore the recording careers of artists. I can also create playlists of songs I like, not music some program manager under pressure to satisfy station owners and advertisers is forced to play. To most music stations, listeners are the product and music is just the dead space between advertising.

In my opinion it's the radio stations that have become lazy, greedy and impulsive. They want to build a network of stations now, more profit now, cheap labor now and lower costs now. Instead of taking time to build an audience and a community presence, they just slash and burn to cut costs, purchase music packages of top 40 hits, rely on computer software to schedule everything and toss employees out the door every time the station changes hands or popular music shifts genres.

Quote:
Commercials are important part of our economy
They are also used for fraud, propaganda and brainwashing. A significant percentage of advertising is used for negative purposes. The truly informative advertising used to build businesses I don't mind. The rest is becoming too pervasive.
NeilN likes this.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I feel that in the 80's and 90's I was exposed to music I would not otherwise discover if it weren't for the crazy radio shows and MuchMusic that let people play anything.

On MuchMusic for example, I hated when Much West or Life on Venus Ave was on - but the odd song would catch on with me.

Now we are packaged the latest Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc. song along with 20-40 others all day, all week, all month long until they have a new single.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 03:54 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Unlike the late 60s, through the 70s and into the 80s, when there was a lot of innovative music and the FM DJs would get into some interesting info about the music, singers etc.. Back then, radio music was worth listening to. Remember Emerson, Lake and Palmer? Led Zeplin David Bowie, Phil Collins? Simon and Garfinkle? and many more...

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 03:58 PM

Article on Voice Tracking.

https://www.allaccess.com/radiofutur...ref=mail_recap

Also, you can if your favorite station voice tracks heavily if there is no mention of current temperature or time.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-14, 09:32 PM
Rookie

What? People still listen to radio???? Ugh...I got disgusted with FM in Canada YEARS ago....
Today, if I try to listen to Q107 in Toronto, almost always when I tune in, a commercial is in progress and sometimes the ads go on for at least 8 minutes...
And CanCon really did kill it for me...I mean, how can someone possibly be happy hearing the Hip or Bryan Adams OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. A true music lover does not listen to FM radio.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-14, 10:42 PM
Veteran

^^^^
FM used to be good, even with CanCon, up to about the late 90s. Then it started to become irritating.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 02:57 AM

I don't agree with Skidood1's comment that "A true music lover does not listen to FM radio." There is plenty of good music being played on CBC Radio 2 on programs like Saturday Night Blues, Saturday Night Jazz, Tempo, Vinyl Tap, Shift, Radio 2 Drive and the Strombo Show. I would agree that commercial radio is pretty disgusting.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 10:26 AM
Veteran

Where I am in mid-western Ontario, commercial music radio isn't that bad, but the automation shows, at times.

But I don't listen to the new music stations, just classic rock mostly, and they do it well enough.

When CIBU out of Wingham changed from The Bull to just Classic Rock, you could tell there was less DJ at least.
They dumped their evening Alice Cooper program, and much post 1990 rock and pretty well all alternative. Eventually post 1990/alt has seeped back into their library.

92.3 The Dock from Owen Sound is less automated it seems. They dig less into the classic rock boneyard, and more into the 60s through 80s pop/new wave. It remains to be ween what Bell does to that station.

95.5 My FM from Kincardine is more automated even. When I pop a look into their storefront station, it seems unoccupied. They push even more into the pop than The Dock.

107.1 The One is almost all newer pop, which I don't really attempt to listen to, but seems to be as automated as any modern pop station. Same for the AM country station.

Commercials on the Wingham stations are largely local businesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.