Clock radio with good reception - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original post, especially to holl_ands for all of his research into radio reception in my area and to inglewood for his suggestion about a Sony Dream Machine.
I was able to buy a used Dream Machine C1iMK2. I connected the AM antenna and I was able to hear some AM stations from Toronto very clearly, as well as quite a few FM stations and of course my iPod music.
There was only one minor problem - it did not include a remote.
If anyone has a Sony C1iP remote they no longer need and if you are willing to sell it at a reasonable price, please let me know.
Once again, thanks for of your comments and advice, it was really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 02:02 PM

Lots of Sony C1iP remotes on fleabay. Also try US Amazon.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 08:38 AM
Veteran

Harmony remotes should provide full support as well. That's what I use for my radio that didn't come with a remote. Just add the "Dream Machine C1iMK2" device in the setup.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 09:30 AM

I just posted this link to the Harmony database in another thread. Their remotes support the Sony ICF-C1IPMK2, but that's a relatively expensive remote if you don't already have one.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 03:25 PM
Veteran

It is UNLIKELY that any of the inexpensive Universal Remote Controls will have the CODES for any CLOCK RADIOS.....I only see Sony TV's, DVD's, VCR's, Sound Bars, etc:
http://codesforuniversalremotes.com/...control-codes/
Codes For Universal Remotes

However, if you have a FRIEND with an (expensive) Harmony R/C, then you could get him/her to download the Sony Clock Radio Device Codes [if they are in the database]. You could then buy a Universal R/C with LEARNING and transfer the (fairly FEW) Sony Clock Radio CODES from the Harmony to the Universal/Learning R/C:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_p...price-asc-rank
BTW: In the Mini-Remotes with only a few buttons, you could program the MUTE button as the "SNOOZE/ALARM-OFF" button.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands

Last edited by holl_ands; 2017-06-21 at 03:44 PM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 07:09 PM
Veteran

If you are hardware / software literate and like to tinker...
I Used to like playing around with JP1 remotes.

JP1 remotes have a hardware interface near where the batteries go (ie labelled JP1) that you can connect to your PC, and using the right interface cable (presumably home made, but you can buy also) and the right software, allows you to reprogram the JP1 capable remote for a previously unsupported device. There is an entire community dedicated to sharing remote code information, in the form of scripts, etc.
I had programmed one to support one of my FTA satellite receivers in which my dog had chewed the OEM remote to bits
I think I bought mine from Wal-Mart for like $15 and is the first one on the below supported devices list (RCA RCRP05B). Made my own interface cable based on schematic from the JP1 support website.

RemoteChart - JP1 Remotes

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 10:05 PM
Veteran

Buying a cheap OEM remote would be a much better route than JP1 (which is quite esoteric) or programming a cheap universal remote from a Harmony (which may not work.) I only suggested the Harmony in case the OP had one or was thinking of buying one. My harmony controls both the clock radio and a TV/sound bar/cable box combo so it's not like they have to be dedicated to one device or even one room. The cheaper Harmony models can be picked up on sale for about CAD$50-$80 and control up to 8 devices.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 07:04 AM
Veteran

Wow that much?? I would NEVER waste $80 on a remote control.
I don't care if it made Popcorn.
I would much rather go the JP1 route..
Keeping in mind there are many people who can't even figure out a universal remote..
you probably need to be hardware and software literate for JP1 interface to be of any use to you.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 10:49 PM
Veteran

I've programmed a fair bit of hardware and software in my day. JP1 was just too esoteric and time consuming for me to be bothered. It wasn't as expensive as a high end Harmony but it wasn't really cheap either. Once all the pieces were assembled it was close to $50 (even with the JP1 remotes on clearance) and then there was my time to consider. Never mind that the end result would have been nowhere near as functional or easy to maintain as a basic Harmony. For most people, even the technically literate, a $50 Harmony 350 would be a much better investment than a JP1. In this case, a $15-$20 OEM remote may be all that is required.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-06-23, 06:13 AM
Veteran

That's what I mean, the old saying, "if it was easy they'd all be doing it"... However, just because something is apparently too complex for you,
it may very well be a breeze for someone else and bears mentioning as an alternative. Literally $15 and a cable and you are in business, programming your remote to do things it really wasn't meant do to. At least not by the consumer.

I would not recommend for anyone who has trouble finding/entering simple 3 or 4 digit codes in to a universal remote.
Yes..there are people who cannot even do that much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.