Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Internet Clock radio - Options

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I own a Roku R1000 internet radio. Love that thing. Sounds amazing and really easy to use, especially as a clock radio in the dark with sleep timer and nice display. To tune a station, I press one of the preset buttons and the snooze button a few times to set the sleep timer. Couldn't be easier.

The radio is however quite old now and starting to show signs of aging. The subwofer is dead and the display is starting to go. The Wifi (which is 802.11b only!) is giving issues too.

So I'm starting to look for options but nothing comes close to it in terms of ease of use. I tried both a Grace radio and one from Pure but they are just not the same.

I think Bose Wave SoundTouch Music system IV might be the closest thing, but a little pricey at $749.

Anyone have any recommendations?

#2 ·
I use a Logitech Squeezebox which is similar to the Grace Radio. Can't say I'd recommend it though. The menus are complex and the timers seem to disappear occasionally. It's not that stable either. The network connection disappears occasionally, requiring a reboot, and it also reboots on it's own for no apparent reason. It's now sold as a UE Radio and has different software. The UE can be flashed to turn it into a Squeezebox. That has the advantage of being able to use a Logitech Server located on a LAN PC. Some settings can be configured from a browser connected to the Logitech Server or the Logitech MySqueezebox site. If that site ever goes away, the radio would lose most of it's features. That may happen since Logitech has already dropped support for some of its Squeezebox products.

#3 ·
Yes, I think I looked at the squeezebox at some point before, but l like many others on the market, it's quite old now and probably no longer supported. Surprised there's no real market for this anymore (most just focus on connecting with a phone via BT, and don't have a internet tuner built-in). The Roku R1000 was probably the best model I've ever come across.

#5 ·
That's really pricey, not just a little. If I were you I would have bought the same thing again. Yes, my recommendation is Roku R1000 internet radio. Since you've been using this device for long, I'm pretty sure you were comfortable enough with it. So, you better get another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.