CBC London, ON: Expansion of Content & Services - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool CBC London, ON: Expansion of Content & Services

CBC has announced intentions to expand with local programming in the London market (again).

CBC to launch new morning program, local website in London, Ont. - Windsor - CBC News

LOSat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 03:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Is there an FM Transmitter for CBC Radio 1 currently serving London? The sign in the photo shows 93.5MHz as the frequency.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 03:54 PM
Veteran

An interesting development, even if it is 25 years too late. I was also surprised to hear that anyone at the CBC would acknowledge that London even existed.

The frequency is 93.5MHz. I haven't seen recent figures but CBC FM has fairly low numbers compared to other local stations. Considering the recent cutbacks in local programming at other stations, this new show will be welcomed by those who like to listen to local talk shows.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes London has Radio 1 (93.5) and Radio 2 service (100.5) and Radio-Canada Priemere in French (99.3).

Radio 1 gets its morning program Ontario morning - from the Toronto Studio and the afternoon program is a joint London-Windsor program originating from Windsor. Until a couple years ago, London got the Toronto afternoon drive program out of Toronto from 4-6pm. London was sort of a Toronto/Ontario-wide hybrid rebroadcaster and recently a Toronto/Windsor/Ontario-wide hybrid.

When up and running London will have its own morning program. When they talked about it yesterday on the radio it sounded like there would be no change in the afternoon drive portion but that Ontario Morning might be revamped as it would be serving the following with the following communities:

Bancroft 600 AM
Brockville 91.9 FM
Cornwall 95.5 FM
Deep River 97.9 FM
Haliburton 92.3 FM
Huntsville 94.3 FM
Kingston 107.5 FM
Maynooth 89.3 FM
Midland 89.7 FM
Muskoka 94.3 FM
Orillia 91.5 FM
Owen Sound 98.7 FM
Parry Sound 89.9 FM
Pembroke 92.5 FM
Peterborough 98.7 FM
Shelburne 102.5 FM
Whitney 98.5 FM
Wiarton 98.7 FM
Wingham 100.9 FM

I believe there is now a Tillsonburg transmitter that is a semi-repeater of London.

LOSat
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 12:56 PM
Veteran

As it is now, Ontario Morning regional news comes out of London (that I hear from Wingham). I get Here And Now From Toronto 4-6 PM (Toronto gets 3 to 6). Fresh Air (Saturday morning) has regional news from Ottawa or Toronto.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 02:03 PM
Veteran

The website should be pretty successful. I've been using the local CBC Hamilton website as a news source for several years. Much better source than CHCH Hamilton.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

London used to get Here and Now. All I can remember from it is thinking thank god I don't have to drive in GTA everyday.

LOSat
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 04:55 PM

I think that if CBC Hamilton could become a full-ride local affiliate, with both a radio station and TV channel, with newscasts and all, could be a good way to get a lot of former CHCH staffers back in the saddle of doing what they do best...telling Hamilton's stories.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-04-28, 08:45 PM
Veteran

I can't see CBC doing either of those platforms for Hamilton. It's just too close to Toronto. The website is really the only platform that is sustainable for the Hamilton market at this time.

Tags
cbc radio , london on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.