HD Radio Receivers (Home & Portable) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 07:16 AM
Actually, AM HD Radio is not as great especially at night time due to adjacent channel interference caused by the HD signal. It's still annoying on FM as well for smaller stations, but on AM it's worse due to night-time propagation.

The benefit might be that station owners tend to broadcast their AM stations as subchannels on their FM signals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 07:35 AM
In Canada there is no other choice. AM stations can only transmit in HD as sub channels on FM. The only AM HD stations I can lock sometimes are the "clear channel" 50000 watts power stations from the US. The European DAB HD radio technology is much better solution with completely separate frequency spectrum, but we have what we have. It is still evolving technology and much needed to save the radio industry.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 11:33 AM
Given how poorly Canadian stations handled DAB when they were trying it, and also how few DAB-capable receivers were available, you'd be hard-pressed to convince many here that it was the superior format.

Just ask people like @CamDAB

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2018-01-07, 05:31 PM
Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
^^^^ Did I hear my name mentioned?

And not only did they do a massive injustice to DAB, but they're not doing HD Radio any favours either. When they process the HD1 digital to match the pathetic FM processing... the only improvement is the loss of mutipath distortion. HD2 and HD3 streams are often (but not always) an improvement as there is no FM signal to match, so they often do sound better.

When DAB was set up right, it was fantastic. But that was often by mistake...

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.