iHeartRadio comes to Canada with Bell partnership - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

iHeartRadio comes to Canada with Bell partnership

Bell Media and iHeartMedia Sign Exclusive Partnership to Expand iHeartRadio into Canada - Bell Media

Bell Media and iHeartMedia today announced an exclusive new partnership that will bring the iHeartRadio brand to Canada in 2016.

The iHeartRadio digital service in Canada will showcase content from Bell Media, Canada’s largest radio broadcaster with 106 licensed radio stations in 54 markets across the country.

Upon launch, iHeartRadio in Canada will provide instant access to the live radio feature offering listeners throughout Canada all of Bell Media’s broadcast and digital-only radio stations across mobile, auto dashes, tablets and smartphones, gaming consoles, wearables, and more. The partnership will also bring iHeartRadio-branded events to Canada.

iHeartRadio is currently available across the U.S., Australia and New Zealand, with Canada to follow later this year.

This article explains much more than the press release:
iHeartRadio joins Canada's streaming market through partnership with Bell - The Globe and Mail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-02-03, 09:06 AM

A local Bell station in Fredericton, 106.9 Capital FM, was dropped from TuneIn last week. Thus it's unavailable on Sonos.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with iHeartRadio. Are other Bell channels being dropped from TuneIn?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-02-03, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I don't know anything about TuneIn, but I saw this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
Corus got very protective and regional with their radio stations. Now, none are available on TuneIn Radio app, which is a drag 'cause that was how you could listen to Q107 Toronto outside the country. After removing their stations from TuneIn, they launched their own app, which is "unavailable" outside Canada.
It makes me think it might be related to copyright. It could be something they were planning anyway, or it could be that iHeartRadio will be the exclusive non-broadcast distributor.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-02-03, 09:35 AM

Ah, that's it. I was just on the TuneIn site, and other Bell channels are still playing there, while Capital FM is listed but won't play.

Thanks.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-02-03, 02:43 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave
I don't know anything about TuneIn
We use Tunein.com for Internet radio listening. It came on the device as a free membership app. There's a bit about Tunein.com in the following thread: HQ Streaming Internet Radio Stations

The Kenwood head unit in my truck is iHeartRadio compatible but I've never looked into it. Time to look it up.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Top Musical Talents Tegan and Sara and X Ambassadors Headline iHeartRadio Fest 2016, May 6 at Sheraton Centre Grand Ballroom - Bell Media

Normally I wouldn't post this type of press release, but I thought people might be interested to see how they are using the branding and cross-promotion. This is the first iHeartRadio-branded event in Canada since the exclusive new partnership between Bell Media and iHeartRadio was announced in January.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-14, 09:28 AM

The Sheraton Grand Ballroom? Sounds like they are expecting dozens of people!!

-
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:00 AM

Oh goody, more pre-homogenized, pre-canned radio from south of the border...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Tegan and Sara are Canadian.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 01:49 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I think he means the typical payload of the iHeartRadio digital service, but is it really like that?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 07:45 PM

The service's primary role is to stream its partners' AM/FM content. Most of the US content won't be available in Canada.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
The Sheraton Grand Ballroom? Sounds like they are expecting dozens of people!!
It's during Canadian Music Week and at the event's Hotel. It's aimed at contest winners and industry insiders. In fact, it's just a re-brand of a concert they hold every year. (CHUM FM Fanfest)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 09:27 PM

If I lose access to Z100 or other iheartmedia stations when this launches count me among the disappointed.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 09:32 PM

If they're working for you now, you shouldn't.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-09-22, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Beginning This Weekend, New Countdown Show The iHeartRadio TOP 20 Delivers the Week's Biggest Hits, Only on Virgin Radio

In advance of the upcoming launch of its new app, iHeartRadio Canada announced the appointment of Andrea Collins as its official English Canada Ambassador and the launch of the new weekend countdown show The iHeartRadio TOP 20. Hosted by Collins and launching this weekend, The iHeartRadio TOP 20 features the top hits getting airplay each week from coast-to-coast-to-coast, interviews with the artists behind the hits, and the latest celebrity news and gossip.

Also announced today, ENERGIE Montréal 94.3 personality Patrick Langlois was named for iHeartRadio Ambassador in French Canada.

The iHeartRadio TOP 20 will air nationwide on Virgin Radio stations in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Kitchener, Toronto, Montréal, and Halifax.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.