Changes at CJBK Bell Media in London, ON - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Changes at CJBK Bell Media in London, ON

Long time radio host, Steve Garrison is gone from CJBK at part of Bell Media's cost cutting.

Radio vet loses job | The London Free Press

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 02:59 PM

Bell has completely destroyed what used to be a great radio station. I would have my radio tuned to CJBK from 7AM until 5PM each weekday, and I even listed to "Ask the Experts" at lunch time. I barely listen to the station any more. I can't stand listening to Tom McConnell in the mornings, because he talks too much about the Niagara region. I end up "forgetting" to turn the radio back on by 3PM to listen to Andy..

I am doubting that the CTV2 news at 6 will even mention that Steve Garrison was laid off, because Bell controls the tv news here.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-11-24, 10:59 AM

Took awhile for any mention of the Bell Media firings to show up......do they now control everything including thoughts in that industry. Jan Sims was let go from TV 2 London....several others should have also made the list but I guess they work cheap. No news from CTV Kitchener yet but would guess the amalgamation rumours will pick up again. Watching last nights six o'clock newscast from London everyone was all smiles and punching out the news.......you could see the feeling "we survived anther night of the long knives".

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-11-24, 07:07 PM

Thumbs down

classic clip from 21 years ago on The Simpsons is becoming more and more Ó propos to all Bell Media radio stations.

@Lindsay649 -- the news from CTV Kitchener wasn't shocking enough to generate much attention, but it was reported [elsewhere, of course] that "one full-time employee and one part-time employee were let go"
VA3TJS likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 06:45 PM

Totally fed up with CJBK. It's not a surprise with Steve, after they cut him from the 3 hour morning show to a one hour mid morning slot. I don't imagine they gave him a 2/3 pay cut in August so I'm not really surprised, but still very annoyed. No one on London radio has the ears of the politicians and business community like Steve does. I don't know what's with the youth movement, youth don't listen to talk radio, so why get rid of those that cater to the market you have?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-07, 12:06 PM

Looks like CJBK have filled the 9AM to 10AM timeslot again. Phil McLeod now has a show "The McLeod Report".

If CJBK are looking to attract a "younger" crowd, it defies all logic to have the Phil McLeod show on...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-07, 09:03 PM

so they let go of Steve Garrison, and hire someone else? I thought they had to cut back back
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-08, 10:37 AM

Different contract, salary base, benefits cost etc. I am sure Phil is being paid less then what Steve was considering his tenure at the station.

LOSat
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-08, 11:34 AM

I really wish that CJBK could monitor how many people are actually still listening to their station to truly realize what they've done to their loyal listeners. I'm finding myself listening to AM980 and CBC radio more. The entire morning schedule on CJBK stinks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-08, 12:20 PM

Unfortunately this is a pure spreadsheet play of the current financial condition probably with no modelling built in to show the potential impact of a loss of listeners and therefore less revenue. It's a race to the bottom if you ask me.

LOSat
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 10:31 PM

The McLeod Report is the type of programming I like, he is connected, as the former editor of the Free Press, and knows a lot of what is going on. I just don't think he is a very radio friendly voice to listen to. I agree with the comment about the youth movement, but what I don't get is why Bell thinks they need a youth movement. It's a talk radio station, you aren't going to get many younger people listening to it, no matter what you do. If they wanted to mix up the mornings a bit, then sure, move Steve back to mid mornings, but give him some time, not an hour. But it was clear he was going to be gone after that move was made in August to give him the one hour show. As I posted earlier, I doubt they cut his salary (which I'm guessing was a nice 6 figure one) when they moved him off the morning show.

Anyway, it was a class act of Am980 to bring Steve on last Friday to have his swan song and get to say goodbye. I wouldn't be shocked though if they decided to add him into their day somewhere.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 11:37 AM

I'm sorry that I missed hearing Steve Garrison on AM 980 last Friday. I truly hope that AM 980 come up with a means of getting Steve Garrison back on the air for a morning show - I'd absolutely be listening, and I believe that tens of thousands of others would too.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 07:11 PM

Davage, 980 has an archive of their shows, which is how I listened to it. It was during the Devon Peacock show of Dec 11. Interesting that the list shows the last 2 months and the number of times it was played. Most of them are under 100, except 2 shows. Dec 10 at 166 plays and Dec 11 at over 500 plays. You can find it on this page...

http://www.am980.ca/the-pulse/
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-04-08, 03:10 PM

It's been a few months since CJBK shuffled their lineup, and cut their best morning host.

I don't even bother to listen to the morning show anymore. Mike Stubbs in the mornings spends more time rambling talking about what he's going to talk about than he does on the actual subject. ie: "In the next half hour we're going to talk about purple balloons". He'll say that again and again, then the actual content of the "purple balloons" story will be minimal and he will have spent more time promoting what he's going to talk about rather than the actual subject. I just can't listen to it - it is too annoying to hear Mike talking about what he is going to talk about..

Tom McConnell rambles on a lot, and has minimal numbers of people calling in to his show.

It is sad to see what Bell has done to CJBK. I had really hoped that AM980 would have come up with a deal with Steve Garrison to have a morning show so that there would be something good to listen to from 6AM to 9AM. Maybe Steve is enjoying his retirement.

CJBK have lost me as a loyal talk radio listener... I'm spending more time listening to AM980 and some of the music stations now.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-05-28, 11:06 PM

I'm sure most local readers of this forum are now aware, but Steve is on AM980 for their Monday roundtable at noon with Deavon Peacock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.