Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Stingray Music (Former CBC Galaxie) new app, curated channels

9K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Cybergy 
#1 ·
Stingray Music (formerly Galaxie) just recently launched a new curated service on their Stingray Music app called Vibes. Vibes has hundreds of curated music channels, in addition to Stingray's previous channels. I think it just started July 30th, as that's when my app had an update.

I have been listening non stop since yesterday. The music quality is excellent, the app is fairly easy to use and the music is free with your subscription to a tv, cable or satellite provider (mine is Shaw Direct). I like the app's authentication process which uses audio signal recognition. Or you can just login via your provider.

Stingray Music's app has good cover art and their channel collage art is great, and you can bookmark your favourite channels. The app has a smart channel content editor to help you organize everything. Best of all, there are no ads.

All said, I am very happy with this service, especially the new Vibes channels.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Stingray Music (formerly Galaxie) just recently launched a new curated service on their Stingray Music app called Vibes. Vibes has hundreds of curated music channels, in addition to Stingray's previous channels.
Curated, means there's a DJ?

I have the new app and like it a lot but I must admit I've been going back to the same old channels. Will have to surf a bit next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
@Cybergy - curate: "select, organize, and present (online content, merchandise, information, etc.), typically using professional or expert knowledge."
INTRODUCING VIBES* CHANNELS

Explore a thousand expertly curated music channels in close to 100 genres by combining filters in activity, mood, theme, era and genre categories. Vibes channels offer specialty content carefully selected to suit all tastes, occasions, and local trends.

Vibes channels are added to your existing lists of Recommendations, Top Channels and New Releases. Recommendations are based on your listening history, likes and blocks.
No ads, no talk. Just great music!

More details: Stingray Music - Mobile

I've downloaded the app and it looks pretty slick in the way that it organizes the music. I'm pretty sure there is no DJ.

#5 ·
@Dr.Dave - Well thanks but I have access to Webster's online too ;-) Just wondered what curated meant practically, in this context.

So we are to assume the tracks are expertly selected and organized (but they are not actually "presented" by a DJ). I don't find that to be the case with their Classic Rock channel. It just seems like CanCon gone wild on many days. But as I said I will expand my horizons and look for more channels to see if the content holds up to the marketing.

#6 ·
The Vibes channels are organized by mood, activity etc. and have more fine-grained filters. They look quite different than the traditional Stingray channels, but I don't know how CanCon plays into it. If you want to interpret the dictionary definition, I would say the curation refers to the presentation by the app, not the presentation by a DJ, since their slogan is still "No ads, no talk. Just great music!"

#7 ·
They do have to follow CanCon rules as do other streaming providers and conventional radio. However, I think the Classic Rock channel overachieves in this regard. After hearing Guess Who, BTO, Chilliwack all day, I'm looking beyond our shores for entertainment. Some days it's pretty good though. Hit and miss.

#10 ·
Stingray Music Launches Free Online Music Player

December 1, 2016 – Music lovers rejoice! Stingray today launched the Stingray Music online music player; available free to everyone with a subscription to a provider that carries Stingray Music.

A complement to the popular Stingray Music mobile app, the music player offers unlimited ad-free streaming of the same channel lineup offered on television. In addition, Stingray Music online also streams a selection of 2,000 Vibes channels in over 100 genres. Vibes channels are exclusive to Stingray Music.

With Stingray Music now available seamlessly across all platforms, there is no need to look anywhere else to hear the best music channels; from the most mainstream to the most specialized.

What’s on
• 10 to 12 hours of music per channel (up to 2,000 tracks!)
• Over 100 genres including hip-hop, rock, pop, electronic, indie, country music and so many more!
• Professionally curated by 100 of the world’s best music programmers.
• Activity, Mood, Theme, Genre and Era filters.
• Crowd-pleasing and niche content selected to suit all tastes.
• Channels added and updated weekly

Launch the web player: https://webplayer.stingray.com/play

#13 · (Edited)
I tried my Android browser in desktop mode and it said the supported browsers are recent versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox and IE11.

I found the support page here: Support | Stingray Music
There are user guides for mobile and Web Player. When I looked at the Web Player guide, it said:
Supported Browsers - Use a recent web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and others like them.
One other weird thing I noticed is that you can't use the Web Player unless you first create an account using a mobile device. You'd think they would realize that their Web Player would be most useful to those people that don't have a smartphone.

#19 ·
You know, I just realized that I don’t know my iPhone very well. I’m used to a “play on” type of icon in each app to choose where the output goes such as dlna upnp or airplay.

But following a different path of swiping up to open control center, tap on the corner of music you see airplay.

Stingray works from there. Happy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.