Radio Programs / Content you enjoy - Gems & Jewels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up Radio Programs / Content you enjoy - Gems & Jewels

Radio Programs / Content you enjoy. Jems & Jewels.

NOT - I like this or that station's general format. NO NO NO .

But RATHER - I like this specific STATIONs' PROGRAM(s) in THIS TIMESLOT heard on these DAYS.

Format like:

Call letters, Frequency, Station name, City, Program name, Type of music, Days, times of program, comments (internet links, if streaming / how where etc.)

I'll start with one example I've noticed in my area:

CJLX-FM, 91.3 FM, 91X "ninety one exx", Belleville Ontario Canada,

"RADIO TO REMEMBER" on 91X, program on Saturday Mornings ...

"91X is the only local station to produce programming aimed at the large 50+ population in the Quinte area. From Big Bands to the hits of the 50′s and 60′s it’s all on Saturday mornings at 91.3FM."

includes Programs:

1. The Time of Your Life (program) 7AM - 9AM Saturday mornings.
Big Band and Swing from the 1930's all the way to the 1960's.

2. Big Band Saturday w/Andy Sparling 9-10AM Saturday mornings.

3. Journey. 10-11 AM Saturdays. "an eclectic mix of tunes ranging anywhere from the 30′s to the 60′s along with a number of interesting and entertaining features"

4. Remember When ... 11AM - ? 50s and 60s, doo-wop classics, cover songs and the top hits from 1950 through 1969.

Comments:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJLX-FM
Campus Radio Station (Independent?) of Loyalist College in Belleville, Ontario, Canada.

Radio Station's website: http://91x.lcaat.ca/

... nice older music on these programs. listening on Saturday mornings, kitchen radio, while having breakfast.

Weaker signal from Kingston ... but receivable with proper FM Dipole placed in good signal spot outdoors.

A little difficult, hemmed in between more powerful, 90.9 Classic FM from Watertown New York (also good). And a couple other stations just above.

Need a half decent FM radio, with some selectivity, ok conditions, and a proper antenna outdoors aimed correctly to pick this station out from the FUZZ and adjacent stations from Kingston.

But TUNE 'ER in Saturday Mornings if you can.

If travelling on hwy 401 in the area / to or from Toronto area - check it out as you drive by.

Not sure if streamed online. check their website.

Radio Station's website: http://91x.lcaat.ca/

YA - THAT'S NICE LISTENING SATURDAY MORNING - COMPARED TO ALL THE OTHER BLAA BLAA BLAA HEARD LOCALLY ON KINGSTON LOCAL RADIO.

THANK YOU 91 X IN BELLEVILLE. LONG LIVE INDEPENDENT RADIO / CAMPUS RADIO / COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY RADIO.

[ If there's any "JEMS" or "JEWELS" of radio station programs you like - share if you can ... with details ... I wanna hear the really good RADIO BROADCAST CONTENT PROGRAMS you have found and like and would like to SHARE ! ]

91 X - Belleville - sponsored by RED BALL RADIO - in downtown Belleville Ontario. Go visit the store ... I did ... neat place. Small radio / hi fi store with lots of neat gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-08-30, 07:29 PM
Veteran

CFBW, 91.3FM, Bluewater radio, its studios are in Hanover Ontario.

They have a Saturday evening program, which plays a lot of classic rock from the 70s and into the 80s. A couple years ago, they changed the DJ, and has lost a bit of its depth since I found it and started listening quite regularly. The same station supposedly has a New Wave program. Sunday evenings they play pre rock and roll Hit Parade stuff.

But Sunday evenings Country 93 from Owen Sound has a program (7 to 9) that plays almost all pre 1980 country.

CBC wise (which I listen to quite a bit), nothing really jumps out except some over night stuff and Quirks and Quarks. I am bored with The Vinyl Tap (Randy Bachman's show).

Syndicated, I listen to Legends Of Classic Rock on my local Corus affiliate station.
I used to listen to The Ongoing History of New Music, and may again now that Corus has Alan Cross back on staff to make them.

ETA: I CIBU had an excellent request show, and way back in the 80s a local station had comedy where they played comedy clips from the 70s and 80s, and had a kick at old time radio, usually a cop/detective show and a comedy.
I also listened to Air Farce and other CBC comedies, and listened to Basic Black Saturday morning.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-08-31, 12:12 AM

CBC Maritimes including..CBHA-FM , CBC Radio One(Halifax) on 90.5 FM. The Program name is Weekend Mornings with Stan Carew (Saturday and Sunday 6 to 8 am), Type of music is mostly oldies but you can request all most anything.

Alongside host Stan Carew, you'll find associate producer/technician Doug Barron (aka Deputy Doug Barron) and their trusty sidekick... Duke the Studio Stallion.

Weekend Mornings is your chance to be listened to on the radio dial. If you have a story to tell, an idea you think would work on the show or a song you're longing to hear, tell Stan about it toll free from anywhere in Canada: 1-888-737-0338.

Listen here and find out more here:
http://www.cbc.ca/weekendmornings/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

740 AM CFZM Toronto "Zoomer Radio".

Slogan: "The Best of the Best"

Format: Adult Standards.

Wikipedia says it's a Clear Channel 50,000 Watt with wide coverage area.

Programs:

From Wikipedia:

"Monday through Thursday nights, CFZM carries three late-night speciality programs:

Theatre of the Mind (10-11 P.M. Eastern time), rebroadcasting in their entirety classic shows from the "Golden Age of Radio";

Stardust (11 P.M.-12 Midnight Eastern time), an hour of romantic music; and

Midnight Blue (12 Midnight-1 A.M.), an hour of "raunchy" music that CFZM promotes as "the only X-Rated radio show" (in truth, some of the lyrics are raunchy and suggestive, but most listeners would not consider them "X-Rated"). "

haa haa ... LOL, V.J. Ziggy (!), very interesting - ya I noticed, listen in sometimes, to these programs tuning the dial, and something kind of interesting and different.

I think Zoomer Radio is also on one of the Rogers Digital channels where all the other radio stations are.

Station usually comes in well around that time of night, in Kingston.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-17, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Public Radio from the U.S. and WWCR on SW

I've found a few interesting radio stations recently - listening / tuning from Kingston, Ontario, CANADA with good radio and simple antenna, over the air:

1. Public Radio from the U.S.

WRVJ 91.7 FM Public Radio from Watertown NY, USA.

Wikipedia:
"WRVJ (91.7 FM) is a member-supported public radio station in Watertown, New York. Owned by the State University of New York at Oswego, the station simulcasts the programming of WRVO in Oswego, New York"

Main and Sister stations around Northern New York State are:
WRVO 89.9 Oswego (? Main station )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRVO

Sister Stations in NY State (broadcast also on):

WRVJ 91.7 Watertown
WRVD 90.3 Syracuse
WRVH 89.3 Clayton
WRVN 91.9 Utica
WRCU 90.1 Hamilton
WSUC 90.5 Cortland

Anyway, I'm receiving the 91.7 FM signal of WRVJ Watertown NY, seems fairly weak, and not so easy to receive in Kingston, because it's close in frequency, adjacent or near some other local signals too.

Makes it kind of difficult to pick out. But able to receive with very good (selective) receiver and antenna adjustment.

Comes in better with an outdoor FM antenna here, high up outside, aimed correctly, and good selective receiver.

Switching good receiver to "Narrow" bandwidth option on the "good" receiver helps a lot here locally in Kingston on this station - esp. when local weak station 91.9 FM CKVI "The Cave" of KCVI high school is on-the-air sometimes during weekdays daytime. "narrow" helps cut out the interference from the upper and lower edges of the received signal. Concentrates more on the center frequency of the received signal.

Anyway - the CONTENT on WRVJ is interesting. News, information and programming is interesting. Very good.

examples:
NPR - National Public Radio news.
PRI - "Public Radio International".
BBC world news at night. Other BBC content and programs usually at night.
International content and news, interesting and informative programs.
Even some CBC Radio 1 / Canadian radio content is offered at times. (Show "Q" from CBC Radio).

Suggestion:
If you can get one of these stations, or another "syndicated" one in your area - I'd check that out. Listen in. See if that radio CONTENT is of interest to you.

[ You may be able to listen over the internet as well - if streamed ]

2. WWCR on Shortwave - Various SW frequencies at various times.

WWCR = World Wide Christian Radio - from Nashville Tennessee.

Four (4) separate 100 KW shortwave transmitters
(that operate on different frequencies at different times - must see their "schedule")

Yes ... a lot of Religious Content - but also some other interesting programming at times.

Like program: Info Wars
Like program: The Power Hour with Joyce Riley.

I seem to get WWCR on 4840 KHz SW a lot - well - at night.

WWCR.com | Home - WWCR Shortwave, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 10:31 AM
Veteran

Months on:

CFBW, 93.1:

Monday nights ,8PM to 9PM; 33-45-78 Anything from black discs, from 1950s through 1980s.
Mostly pop, some country, some rock. It seems to be syndicated.

Tuesday nights 8PM to 11PM. Another rock show which plays most 70s/80s rock.

Country 93:
For now, their locally produced Sunday evening program has been replaced with syndicated Country Gold, which goes into the 1990s, and for 4 hours maybe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.