Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

am radio for jogging

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HarvesterOfEars 
#1 ·
I am looking for a small portable AM radio listening to those talk stations (590, 640 and 680 in Toronto) while I am jogging. I have a small Sanyo AM/FM radio and the reception is good if aimed at certain direction. This is not possible while I am jogging. Any suggestion ? Thanks.

#4 ·
Thank you guys. Have done quite a bit of research last couple of days and find nothing that is out standing. It is just because of the AM reception depends on the direction of the radio. The best I can come up is a radio with digital tuner. At least I know I have the right station......

#5 ·
For your safety and to hopefully live to a ripe old age lose the earphones. Nothing more dangerous than someone jogging or walking with earbuds, stepping off a curb without looking (or hearing), bumping into people (I will give a good push to people aiming right for me wherever we meet), etc. I see teens walking in a crosswalk with earbuds, thumbing at a phone and not looking up once while the red Do Not Walk is flashing. Same thing in malls etc. sailmaker

#6 ·
Just be responsible with earphones

Like anything else, use common sense, with or without earphones and try and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Be prepared, be aware.

That being said, check out Ccrane.com. They have several pocket radios and also mention that they added the Sony SRF-M37W as being one of the best AM reception radios. And it's only $35USD. That's pretty good, if it lives up to its claims.

Regards,
John

#7 ·
If anyone is thinking about getting a USB-rechargeable portable HD Radio, I borrowed one from a relative and realized the audio on the HD FM radio broadcast is delayed by something like 30 seconds or more when compared to the delay on the conventional AM signal. That made it annoying and kind of pointless for listening at the baseball game I was watching live from inside the stadium.
And last I heard, the Bell AM stations here in Toronto (1010 and 1050) still weren't available on HD FM Radio and probably won't be any time soon.

Also, be careful about ordering any radio with digital AM tuning from China on eBay because of the cheaper price. Someone showed me one they got for about $11, and I had to take photos of it because it made me laugh. While it works okay for FM, it is largely useless for AM radio in North America because the AM tuning moves in steps (increments) of 9 KHz, instead the required 10 KHz. It can't receive AM 590 here in Toronto, because it steps from 585 KHz to 594 KHz !
Even if they don't list the increments in the specifications, the thing to look at is the AM range if that is listed. If it starts at 522 instead of 520, that likely means it's not good for North America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.