Old Radios, Classic Radios, Radio Restoration - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-01-03, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Adding the screws to the bottom of the radio had a consequence. They stuck down further than the feet of the radio, so the radio would not sit correctly, would not be stable, would fall over more easily, and the screws would probably scratch up any surface you put the radio on.

So I had to get creative and make new feet to raise the radio a little higher to clear the screw heads.

I did it like this, by simply gluing up some more pieces of the same clear plastic and building up legs a little higher.

Over all NOT a NICE LOOKING repair - but works, and sits under the radio so you really don't see it.

Getting a cover to work exactly like the original, to click in/snap in like the original, and look good - was not going to be easy.

So that's the best I could do ... with what I had at hand.

More pictures of the radio / different views, in my album ...
no need to post more pictures here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-01-04, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Earlier to middle 1980s I reckon.

My brother had one of those mono boom boxes, a little bigger than that.
Despite being Pulser brand (Canadian Tire store brand for electronics), it worked remarkable well. That one was basically a tape recorder with radio (the amp chip was the same as a Lloyds tape recorder we had. One interesting thing was the radio was tuned so that FM 98.7 and AM 740 were the same place on the dial, and you could flip the band between AM and FM. and get CBC AM Toronto, or the CBC Wiarton transmitter.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-03-23, 04:29 PM
Veteran

the trend continues...

http://www.wkbw.com/news/Radio-Equip...251565121.html

The last time I was in here, a few weeks ago, the heat was off and the lights were dim, but he was open.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 09:31 AM
Rookie

I just serviced this old Loewe radio, sounds pretty good considering it's age!
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-06-08, 08:21 PM
Veteran

4KTV, I like that one, looks pretty good....
here's a couple more I was working on today. Almost done with them, a few parts left to replace in both.

A zenith C730 (chassis 7C05) whose finish was trash, so I put some veneer samples on it.
Didn't come out very well but I wasn't expecting it to either.
https://db.tt/COOykQLZ

A Magnavox FM-18 (chassis # 580100)

https://db.tt/b3a9Wvr3

Last edited by stampeder; 2014-07-28 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Images are huge - mobile users be aware
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-07-27, 02:23 PM
Veteran

The Zenith C730 in the previous post, replaced the selenium rectifier with a 1N4007 silicon diode. When ya do that it is recommended to add some series resistance to it to replicate the roughly 20 V drop across a Selenium rectifier. Goal being to get the B+ back down to where it was designed to be, but may take trial and error to get it right. Can't quite see it, but the lower right, the terminal strip I added to wire in the silicon diode is where the selenium was.

https://db.tt/0ALIxjiM

a pic from underneath
https://db.tt/79mOJ9c4

and last problem...
a pic of the FM RF & FM Osc adjustment slugs,
https://db.tt/OumTjLjV
These move up or down driven by a cam, when tuning FM. Originally was way off on FM with half the dial completely missing and stations in the wrong location.
Had to be aligned by turning them long spring/screws that go thru the center of each slug. Was a common setup in the frontend for Zenith AM/FM radios of that era.
Much better now...

Last edited by stampeder; 2014-07-28 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Images are huge - mobile users be aware
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Wow never seen a Magnavox before, was/ is this a US manufacturer? Loewe is German :-)
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-23, 08:01 PM
Veteran

This is the first really old radio I ever had. Just got done fixing it up. Working good on all bands. I bought it ~ 1990 or so at a yard sale down the street.
It is a Zenith model 7S-529 from ~1940 or 1941

post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 10:14 AM

The good old days of analog when I decided exactly where the volume should be by tiny turns of a volume control knob (potentiometers), not in digital increments decided by some 8 year old in knee pants in some far off galaxy.

sailmaker
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Nice set. I've never seen one quite like it. Those 1940s multi-band short wave sets have a great look. I played around with a few of those in my younger days. Sometimes got in trouble for it too. Are those mechanical presets on the bottom?
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Yes and they do work... I have them dialed in to some favorite local am stations.
some more info courtesy of the radiomuseum.org website.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_...ssis_7a02.html

They are well known for using rubber insulation that crumbles to pieces, making it necessary to completely rewire the thing. Very tedious, but doable... Along with the infamous 6X5G rectifier that fails and causes the Transformer to be destroyed. Both issues are very common to Zenith sets of this era. Mine was no exception
I just got done recapping it, replacing some crumbled wiring in the process, along with a new AC cord.

post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-24, 03:09 PM
Veteran

I have a pretty good idea of what you are dealing with. Tried to fix a few tube radios back in the 1960s. Nothing quite this nice though. Wax caps don't last long and they are messy. Neither those nor rubber insulation like heat much and their is lots of it in these tube sets. Hope you get it working well and enjoy listening.
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-27, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Not sure what happened to the picture in post #53. Must be an issue with 'community albums'

here is another one someone dropped off to me yesterday.
Silvertone Model 1841 (possibly was made for Sears by Atwater Kent??).
AM / SW.
It is not as tall as it looks. Gonna need grill cloth and a wooden knob for it.
Got it playing well already today.

post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 09:53 AM

A search turned up nothing about crystal radios at this forum - such as my 1958 Heathkit CR-1.

For sure, this kit does not have a crystal and a cat's whisker needle to feel-out the rectifying spot on the diode. The kind I remember from my childhood - and still a great learning experience for kids today. It has a germanium diode.

The Heathkit has two tuning capacitors and a switch to switch-in two more fixed capacitors for tuning, none of them ganged. Works good!

At the University of Chicago, we strung a few hundred feet of wire out the 3rd floor apartment back porch and into a tree and got reception from hundreds of miles away.

I believe I hooked it up to my HiFi and got excellent sound, atmospheric static excepted. The sound with the primitive headphones was OK too, if not "crystal" clear.

Question: is the sound from a crystal radio truly HiFi in the sense that it is a pure demodulation of the radio wave with no active elements?

eBay has these sets for around US$50 plus shipping.

Ben

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 01:15 AM
Veteran

Crystal sets provide maximum fidelity for AM but that can be improved upon. That's because the RF circuit in crystal sets are not very selective. Using active components to improve selectivity will improve reception and block out interference without affecting frequency response. There is lots of research that was done on this many years ago. The AM radio band is very limited in the fidelity it can provide. That's due to the 10KHz channel spacing and the limits imposed on bandwidth that AM stations are allowed to use in transmission. The FM band is an improvement but it also has limits in practical use. The digital FM standard is no better, actually worse in practice. It's almost impossible to find really good fidelity in any broadcast medium. That's reserved for things like DVD audio, SACD, Blu-ray audio and some HD audio digital formats that must be purchased. Even CD audio is a compromise but it's better than most broadcast and streaming formats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.