Old Radios, Classic Radios, Radio Restoration - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTurbo View Post
I should take a few photos of the ones I have and post them here.
absolutely...
I don't really collect 'em, but I like fixing 'em. If I see something cheap enough that looks like it needs help I'll grab it. It's a nice change of pace from the whizbang high tech stuff.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-11-05, 05:46 AM

Heathkit SB Line from the mid-1960s

My amateur radio dream station that I could never afford when a kid included the Heathkit SB-401 / SB-301 with all accessories. And in those days you built the kits so you at least learned something about how they worked and how to maintain them. Now I've gathered them together. This was a great station in those days for the common guy who couldn't go for the true dream Collins station after which Heathkit perhaps modeled the look of their SB line.

As deluxe as this equipment seemed at the time, receivers had zero memories to store frequencies and digital tuning encoders didn't exist, and transmitters had no voice compressors, no bells & whistles.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, CM-7777, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-11-05, 06:04 AM

Posting Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazz View Post
Maybe this will do it !

Can't get it to work
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?u=68606
1. Go to here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php
2. Create an album.
3. Upload photo into the album.
4. Copy and paste in a posting here the BB code for the photo you want to show.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, CM-7777, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-21, 10:35 PM

post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 08:22 AM

The link works fine. I remember the Heathkit GR-64 as the simpler model below the GR-54. GR-64 was the model my friend had at the time back in 1969. I wonder if it still works.

post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-26, 08:51 PM

Well Everything I have works or I would fix it, If I can't fix it I contec the DOC He is great at fixing electronics much better then me.

I have many other units but never too pics of them some snowy day I should do just that.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-27, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ya +1 / me too, fixed old radio recently ...

I have an old portable JVC, [ Model 250 I think from memory right now ].
Has removeable AC power cord too, and 6V DC input jack too.

Given to me by a friend.

It's a small table top radio, AM FM SW + cassette tape , but for some reason it just has GOOD reception. (longer than normal whip antenna must help, specially for the FM ) ( it's a solid state, but must have double conversion, a good circuit for reception, and the way the tuning dials and mechanism works, seems to work well ... it's just the old style analog slide dial)

Was missing the plastic battery cover on the bottom, and the 4 D cells would all fall out / not stay in.

So I had to custom make something from a piece of clear plastic - and a way to secure it to the radio - to hold in the 4 D battery cells - if I want to take it portable.

I'll eventually get a couple pictures to post up.

It's not a "Pretty" repair - but it is not seen, it sits on the bottom of the radio.

Radio itself is good enough for me to spend the time to fix it.

One of those radios you can easily take to the park or beach with you.

Or for emergencies - when the power goes out, like last Sunday, ice storm, Kingston Ontario - just to pull out and hear what's going on.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-28, 12:25 AM

I have something like that too. willis & co. limited plane train and car portable radio, i have not seen many has a different type of antenna parabolic with suction cups for windows very cool it's one i want to take pics of.
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Those radios are cool!! I have a bunch of tube radios at my office and a couple nice ones at home including my great grandfathers Philips 401 (i think) from when he came over during the war.

I mostly use them to listen to Sports talk on AM, but on the weekends CKUA has some great programs like classical and the blues that i force the family to listen to.

nothing fills the house with sound like the tube era radios
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 01:26 PM

the sound is very different with tube radios very good is station is strong, has for me nothing beats my old turn table for my classic rock and my blues music. there is nothing like droping the needle on the record.

for my record player I have a mix of old and new to make something that can do everything one section I just bought a Sony tunner and amp, all other section are 20 to 40 years old if some not more.

Today I will take some pic's of my systems and post them some time soon.
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 03:57 PM

Well I had made a long post and side or internet crashed and lost it all.
So I will re do it but shorter.

I use the big system almost everyday, the portable one I don't really use them any more.
I have a antenna 70' up for the radio I get station from Cornwall, Montreal. Ottawa and Hawkesbury. I live to drop the needle on the record was listening to some good classic rock at time of photo.

I got new mixed up with old and very old some of the stuff is 1 week old and other parts are 30 plus years old.

I can stream from the net, mp3's from ipod record and radio from this good combo, the black Sony is new only 1 week old lots of inputs and great tunner on it.

well here it is if you look on my Photo Bucket you will see I have uploaded a few more
all quality you know how to make them bigger.
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 03:58 PM

sorry for the dust, but I just put everything in this old case I had everything on a old computer desk like my other systems, computer desk are good for more then computers.
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 2013-12-30, 02:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Amazing pic! Especially the vintage "CSA" certification sticker... :-)

Some of the older tube receivers had amazing AM sections.

And the tube amps were quite "warm" in the sound department. They tended not to distort when over-driven but gently compress...

And in cooler climates / houses provided an alternative heat source.... :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 2014-01-03, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Battery cover - made for JVC RC-250C radio.

OK - some pictures now.

Here's a picture of the radio, a JVC Radio Cassette Recorder model RC-250C.

It's a fairly old model, I'm sure. I'm guessing 1970's or 1980's.
But it has good reception / features and is fairly portable.

I needed to make some sort of cover for the battery compartment in the bottom, or else the 4 D cells fall out. Cover was missing when someone gave me the radio.

Details off radio:

JVC Radio Cassette Recorder
Model No RC-250C
AC 120V 60 hz 4W
DC 6V
4 D batteries

Victor Company of Japan Limited, Made in Singapore.
CSA - home entertainment device F 253086
[CSA, Canadian Standards Association safety cert file no. - might be able to get more info on the radio from this ... not sure ]

Features:

Top of Radio:
Cassette Tape recorder push button controls.
Mic Jack
Selector switch: Radio off, Tape / MW [AM] / SW / FM
Knobs: Tone low/high / Volume
Small dial: Fine tuning

5 section whip antenna: 38" / 96 cm total length extended.

SW is 6-18 Mhz
FM 88-108
MW [AM] 54-160 KHz x 10

Back of Radio:
switch in center: Monitor ON/OFF [ you can shut off the speaker, if you wish, for example if recording and do not wish to hear the radio ]

Earphone jack.

Side of Radio:

Main tuning dial
Connector for removeable AC power cord
Connector for 6V DC AUX power input

... there's more pictures in my album, but I won't post them all here, just a few more to show the battery cover I made, next posts.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 2014-01-03, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

This is the cover I made, of clear plastic, to fit, nestle in exactly into the rectangular hole where the previous lost cover was. Some yellow pieces of compressible foam like sponge (scrap carpet underlay) are glued to fill open space and keep batteries tight and not rattlilng around.

The clear plastic was a little thicker, and extended a little past the bottom surface of the radio, so I carefully machined some rounds down a little where I was gonna mount the screws. That will drop the screws down flush, make them hold properly, and hold the cover in place too / prevent it from moving or sliding out.

Here it is mounted in the radio, 4 screws cut short. They are automotive trim screws from Canadian Tire auto section - because they are wider at the head and have an incorporated washer in the head to grip further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.