TSN Radio Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-22, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CHUM Radio to relaunch 'The TEAM' sports radio network as TSN radio?

It won't be happening so fast, but an interesting blurb today in the Globe...
Quote:
With the FAN taking a radical tack in tone, some feel it might be the ideal time for TSN to launch its long-rumoured radio network. Depending who you speak to, the change in tone could leave the FAN vulnerable with its traditional constituents. TSN’s sister company CHUM already has sports radio stations in Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal. And some TSN personalities have radio clauses in their contracts - just in case. But sources indicate that TSN is two years away - minimum - from taking on the FAN in Toronto. Plus they have memories of the ill-fated TEAM network which crashed and burned back in the late ‘90s.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...43/?cmpid=rss1

Does anyone think this will work? It was tried once with the Jays as the flagship and failed, although I do think the plug was pulled pretty darn fast last time. I figure Chum/TSN would pickup a lot of ESPN content which would help. In my eyes, anything is better than the waste of 1050 Chum in Toronto at CP24 radio.

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-23, 09:35 AM

At The Time of TSN Radio Toronto's launch in 2 years, Bob McCown should be out of his contract with Rogers at the FAN. He would be perfect fit for the 4-7 time slot.

Rogers 2PVR's, four digital terminals.
All DigNet pack, TMN,, Playboy, Hustler, TEN Network, Howard Stern and Sports Pak Sub. 2 subs Sirius,1 sub XM.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-23, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone think this will work? It was tried once with the Jays as the flagship and failed, although I do think the plug was pulled pretty darn fast last time.
I think this is a great idea and with the TSN brand behind it, it should be successful. CTVglobemedia owns the sports stations in Vancouver, Ottawa, & Montreal (English). If you throw in CHUM AM in Toronto you have yourself a pretty good mini-network. You could also get the Edmonton station on board, its owned by Astral but they could come to an agreement to re-brand it as TSN Radio.

With the current state of the Fan 590, I think the time would be right to launch such a venture. Add in syndicated programming from ESPN radio in the US and you would have a fairly good schedule.

Quote:
At The Time of TSN Radio Toronto's launch in 2 years, Bob McCown should be out of his contract with Rogers at the FAN. He would be perfect fit for the 4-7 time slot.
I thought about that as well, wait until McCown's contract ends and snatch him up and make his show the flagship program for the the network. Seeing as how he appears to be ticked off by recent events at The Fan, I am sure he would jump ship to another station.

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-23, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jim Van Horne jumped from TSN to The Team to be their primetime guy if memory serves and that jump didn't go so well for him... what is he up to right now?

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 11:43 AM
Rookie

i've seen him on the wfn (world fishing news) network doing a news program
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 12:23 PM

Didn't go so well for Paul Romaniuk either.

The Vancouver market also has a unique problem if they brand this as TSN Radio. There's no way Rogers will allow Don Taylor to continue his gig at the TEAM if it's branded TSN. Without Taylor, the afternoon ratings (which are pretty strong) will tank ... very few people can be effective as Pratt's foil and still be credible and interesting. Those afternoon ratings are the core of 1040's profits (the morning show does OK too, the Canuck broadcasts are not exactly profitable (they overpaid to pry them away from 'NW), and after trying to use the Lions to prop up their sister station 1410, they're probably going to lose them after this season).
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Romaniuk had the chance to go back to both TV and 590 if he wanted, but instead he chose to move to Europe with his wife where he is doing freelance work there I believe.

Would be interesting with Taylor though. There was a publizied rumor around the Olympics that Sportsnet was looking to drop the pacific edition of Connected after the Olympics finished up. So far it hasn't happened but I wonder how one may be connected to the other.

post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 09:22 AM

If this TSN Radio network comes to fruition, I think it would be wise to get some sports stations in some Canadian markets that don't currently have any access to radio sports. Sudbury, for example, has not had any radio sports except for the Sudbury Wolves, which air on a Christian station, CJTK 95.5, since CIGM 790 was replaced by CIGM-FM (Hot 93.5). There has got to be demand for radio coverage of the NHL, MLB, and other sports in a market that size, especially for those who don't have cable or have cable and don't subscribe to channels like Leafs TV.

Other markets lacking a dedicated sports station include Halifax (which had a Team affiliate in the old CJCH 920), Regina, Saskatoon, Kelowna, and Victoria. Although Windsor itself doesn't have one, they have easy access to several sports stations from across the river, and CKLW has local sports.
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 03:17 PM

TSN Radio Thread

Quote:
Cable sports channel TSN is seriously considering starting its own sports radio network to challenge the FAN 590 in Toronto and the rest of the country, The Globe and Mail has learned
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1865030/
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 10:49 PM

It could work in some major markets, but only, and only if they can woo some sports coverage away from other stations. For example right now in Calgary there's The Fan 960, and also CHQR 77 has the Calgary Stampeders. A TSN station in Calgary in addition to the other two stations broadcasting sports would be a sure failure.

A smarter idea may be to have a TSN radio network that provides programming on a program-by-program basis to stations with non-sports formats. For example, CHQR could be a TSN affiliate for nothing more than CFL games but not change its news/talk format.
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I am sure CTV/CHUM/TSN would be looking to work a deal with Corus re: CHQR similar to the Astral deal that they have up in Edmonton for the 'Team' as it is right now...

OP, merge this with the other threads covering this topic?

post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Per Dowbiggin: TSN radio is offically coming, Cox joining TSN

Launch date TBA, but they have taken the PD from CKST-AM, Vancouver's 'Team' station and said, get TSN Radio started...

Quote:
Rob Gray, the program director for TEAM 1040 in Vancouver, has apparently been entrusted with getting the Toronto TSN station operational in the near future. The Vancouver station, owned by TSN sister company CHUM Radio, has posted strong ratings of late and the veteran radio hand is to co-ordinate hiring for the new station. A firm start-up date has yet to be established.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...78/?cmpid=rss1

Looks like this is happening now one way or another. It also looks like Damien Cox won't be dropping in on 'Blue and White Tonight' since he has resigned from The Star and is going to TSN full time.

Also, there may be some really hot content available for the fall, as TSM is reporting that CFMJ-AM, 640 Toronto may be preparing to forgo it's final year (2011-2012) of its contract with MLSE for Leafs radio rights and drop its fringe sports talk all together...

Quote:
A number of independent sources are telling me that high level decisions are being made at AM640 Toronto to wave the white flag to sports programming. This, I am told, could very well include the end of the Bill Watters Show.

One source also indicates that AM640 may even forgo its final season as the play-by-play home of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports...business/10032

post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 10:55 PM

Damien Cox ends up at Rogers Sportsnet

So I guess Damien Cox changed his mind and he's going to Sportsnet.

He wanted to continue to write his column at The Star and supposedly TSN wouldn't agree to that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1878018/
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-21, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Mike Richards has quit CFAC-AM (Sportsnet Radio, Fan 960 - Calgary) and has signed with TSN to be the morning drive host at CHUM-AM (TSN Radio, 1050 Toronto). It is believed the show will also be simulast on either TSN or TSN2 similar to ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning...

From TSM earlier today
Quote:
but multiple sources are telling me that Mike Richards, from Sportsnet Radio 960 Calgary has left the station. While I have yet to get official word, this certainly seems to be the case.
and then a few hours later over at The Globe...
Quote:
TSN Radio is a reality, and Mike Richards has been signed to become the morning drive host in Toronto.

While officials at TSN declined comment Friday, The Globe and Mail has learned that the long-rumoured radio operation will go ahead later this year, after BCE Inc. takes full control of CTV Inc., the parent company of TSN.
Quote:
Richards, who declined comment Friday, did not appear on his FAN 960 show Friday morning and his identification is being removed from the website. Sources tell Usual Suspects that the 47-year-old sent his resignation late Thursday night to the station where he’s worked the past six years. While no dollar figures were revealed, it’s believed that Richards will have full creative control over his show, which will likely be simulcast on TSN or TSN2.

post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Then came the battle for bodies. This week, Rogers won a bidding war with TSN for the services of Star hockey columnist Damien Cox. TSN countered by luring away FAN 960 morning man Mike Richards, who will be the centrepiece of its new radio venture.
Quote:
In Richards, who will host the morning show, it might have a serious answer to the FAN’s Bob McCown, and certainly a threat to FAN morning man Andrew Krystal.

TSN isn’t even admitting it will get into radio, which is a risky venture considering its lack of experience in the field.

“We’ve been looking at radio for five or six years, trying to decide when the time would be right,” says King. “It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we entered into the radio field. It’s the one missing piece in our sports portfolio.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...for-sports-war

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.