Changes at Astral London - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Changes at Astral London

CIQM FM (Q97.5/97.5 Ez Rock) debuted a tweaked format, logo and new schedule this morning. The Station sounds like a mix of Fresh FM and the Old EzRock.

- Longtime Morning Host Rich Greven is out, Mark LaPointe moves from Afternoons to Mornings.
- Gary Taylor takes over Afternoons
- Syndicated Ryan Seacrest takes over from Syndicated John Tesh in the Evenings

Those looking for the Old EzRock format don't have to go far as in London Easy 101 (CKOT), 104.7 Heart Fm (CIHR) and CHYM FM are all receivable.

CJBK AM
- Tom McConnell takes over 10am-Noon syndicated from 610 CKTB

CKSL AM
- Karl Josephs retires from morning position, no replacement has been named.
CKSL currently has the lowest ratings in London.

It will be interesting to see if FRESH FM moves back to CHR due to the EzRock format change. It will also be interesting to see what happens when Rogers takes over BOB-FM and what Blackburn launches their 98.1 frequency with. CHR & Classic Rock are currently a large hole in the London market with no true CHR or Classic Rock station.

103.9 FM would be smart to pick up Rich and Elaine in the morning, since their demo crosses a bit with the old EzRock.

Also if EASY 101 wants new listeners to stick, they need to fix their audio chain.. it sounds like a washed out AM station (dito to Country 107.3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 10:03 PM

Hadn't heard about the CJBK mid-morning change. I guess they finally got wise and turfed Shauna Rae. It's been 6 years since they let Jim Chapman go, and they still can't find a solid replacement. I did like Tom McConnell from his CJBK days, especially when he filled in for Chapman, so I'll have to try to give him a listen, even though I'm usually in bed then. I guess this means CJBK is down to 6 hours of local programming now. Too bad they can't find something good to syndicate in the afternoons and turf the old hag, Dr Joy.

The only part of all this that made the news was Greven being let go. He's been around for decades and I thought he was the highest rated morning host in town. Kind of surprised to see him go, but then again, I was surprised when they let Jacquie go from the BX93 morning show last year. I'm sure LaPointe comes a lot cheaper than Greven. I thought for sure that the next name to go from those stations would be Chris Harding.

As for Rich and Elaine going to 103.9, I'm thinking Corus pays Jeff Mcarthur a lot less to do 2 shows (5-9am on FM and 9-11 on AM980) than what Rich and Elaine would get paid for a single morning show. I remember Jeff making a remark on the air earlier this year that Andy Oudman makes triple what he does although who knows how he would know, and he also kids around.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 09:53 AM

Guess CJBK learned their lesson and must have been getting killed by 980 in the mid morning time slot. They announced today that Andy Oudman will be on from 9-noon starting next week. They had previously expanded him from 9-11, and cut back on the out of town Tom Mcconnell show from St Catherines. And they also took my advice earlier this year and turfed the Dr Joy Brown show and replaced her with the Dan Patrick Show.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-09-07, 01:41 AM

Looks like CJBK made a couple more changes this week. Gone is the Dan Patrick show for more local programming. John Biggs hosts from 1-3pm, and Al Coombs has his own hour from 3-4pm before he co-hosts the 4-6 show with Mike Stubbs. I can't remember when the last time this station had 12 solid hours of local programming during the weekday. I'm thinking they haven't since the days of being a music station, as they always had something imported during the afternoons (Dan Patrick, Dr Joy, Dr Laura, Larry King). Quite the turnaround from a year ago anyway where it was only 6-10am and 4-6pm.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 11:48 AM

More changes afoot here in London. EZRock 97.5 is now on autopilot as Virgin Radio and will be launching in September. Some Facebook postings suggest the morning crew of CB and Kim will be back, but no word on the other hosts yet.

Also not sure if there are any changes happening at 1290 because they have been all over the place this summer with piped in programming. They say it's just because of vacation coverage on the other stations, so they take the 1290 hosts and move them around a bit. Tom McConell is being simulcast from St Catharines this week in the mid mornings but that just be Andy Oudman being on vacation. The afternoons have been Dan Patrick all summer so John Biggs could cover BX93 vacation time.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 01:22 PM

Highly unlikely CB and Kim are back...heard she got the axe. They said a new morning team would start Sept 4, along with a new lineup of personalities. Mark LaPointe, supposedly got the axe as well. Chris Harding got the axe over on BX, so I don't know who's going to be the Drive host there.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 12:14 AM

I wonder if Jeff Kelly, who used to be on Fresh or Bob or something before moving to Winnipeg and Ottawa, factors in this somehow. Him and his wife just moved back to London recently.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 12:24 AM

This is what CB posted Friday morning on facebook. Sounds like he might still have a role.

Quote:
Hey Everyone. CB here. So excited about the changes happening to 975. London's new #1 Hit Music Station 975 Virgin Radio is on the air. Thank you for all the positive comments so far. For those not sure yet, keep listening. We've got lots more awesome stuff coming, including a new team of personalities being announced real soon.

Stay tuned. Much more to come!

CB
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 10:05 AM

Yeah, Jeff would be a great fit...yeah, you never know, maybe he could be coming.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 01:16 PM
Rookie

There have been some rumblings in the twitter verse that this may be where Scott Tucker makes his radio return after leaving FM96 s Tucker and Tazz show earlier in the summer. It looks like virgin is not going to have any talent on air till after labour day and Tucker's commitments to Corus London end Sept 1.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-22, 07:28 PM
Rookie

It looks like Jeff Kelly will be joining 975 Virgin Radio. His twitter account has a link to the stations website in his description.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-25, 08:58 PM

London needs a hard alt. station to go against boring FM96.Nice name by the way.

Here's some examples:

KUPD Phoenix Arizona---- www.98kupd.com

Razor94.7 Green Bay-- www.razor947.com

Would be nice if the CRTC would just be a regulator of freq and wattage and let competition happen in Canadian radio between same formats.And less spoken word requirement.

In the states with London's pop. your dial would look diff than presently.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 03:29 PM

The CRTC doesn't prevent direct format competition, and only stations that promised spoken word in order to win a new license have any quota.

You see more direct competition in the US because there are more stations per capita and per company in any given market. There, a company can turn their 5th ranked station to a "flanker" designed only to take numbers from a competitor that threatens their #1 ranked station. In a Canadian market, with just 2 FMs, they both need to be successful on their own.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 09:33 PM

So what your saying is that I could not get a license to format an "Active Rocker" in London to go against an FM96 Corrus that is also designated an "Active Rocker".????
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 09:35 PM

Format (Outside of specialities) is not defined within licenses. A country station is the same as a Top40, Active Rock, or Oldies.

FM96 is not designated as "Active Rock" anywhere official. Rogers could flip BOB, or Blackburn could flip Free to hard-alternative tomorrow if they wanted to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in