Changes at Astral London - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-09-01, 10:29 AM

Virgin confirmed this morning their new morning show is Sarah Kelly and Scott Tucker. So, I was close on one of the Kelly's LOL. But in all their moves, they both went for jobs with the same company, so I would think the same will be the case here. Jeff was usually an afternoon guy anyway. Maybe even BX afternoons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 07:02 PM

Just as a followup, Jeff Kelly is doing the afternoon drive show on Virgin 97.5. He is also assistant brand director (or something like that).
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-09-27, 06:58 PM

Old title, but didn't feel like starting a new thread lol.

Don Landry started a new afternoon show on 1290 CJBK this week. Called "London at Large", it airs from 1-4pm. He was formerly in London back in the early 90's when 1410 CKSL went to a talk station, as sports director, before Telemedia cut bait on the format (too soon it turned out) and let go most of the station. He is probably best known for being the co-host with Gord Stellick of the Fan590 morning show several years ago.

Nice to hear both 1290 and 980 with local programming all day now.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-11-01, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post

Nice to hear both 1290 and 980 with local programming all day now.
But 980 needs better announcers. Whenever I tune in 980 (which is extremely rare, usually when I'm stuck in traffic) it always sounds like teenagers are reading the news.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 09:10 PM

Very true, Devon Peacock is a terrible talk show host. I don't get the chance to listen to a lot of daytime talk now, but usually I catch the last bit of Don Landry.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-11-09, 11:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
it always sounds like teenagers are reading the news.
I find that's true of most local news outlets. Even the print media if full of factual and grammatical errors. With some, it's as if they don't know the city or region and nobody bothers to proof read the articles. Never mind that news coverage is sometimes woefully incomplete.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-11-30, 02:34 PM

So Don Landry has left CJBK now. Not sure the reason, but I heard the end of his show Friday where he announced Al Coombs would be the new host of London at Large.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-07-01, 06:35 PM

Now 1290 is cozying up with CTV London (both obviously being Bell properties). Not only are the afternoon radio newscasts done from the TV station, but now CJBK has dropped Prime Time Sports and simulcasts the 6pm CTV London News. Not at all happy with that part.

Also, wonder if maybe the powers that be here might consider changing the title of this thread to something relating to Bell now.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 09:18 PM

Cost cutting must be the name of the game at CJBK now. They have gone back to simulcasting Tom Mcconnell from St Catharines from 9-12. Mike Stubbs moves to 1-3 (with Al Coombs being the the traffic and weather guy) and Andy Oudman moves to 3-6pm. Gotta be a blow to Mike being taken out of afternoon drive and especially to Al losing his early afternoon show altogether.

I'm not a fan at all of the morning simulcast (as I wasn't 4 years ago when they tried it last time), and I can't imagine CKTB listeners are too happy listening to some London talk either.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 12:34 AM
Veteran

It just shows how inefficient Bell is at managing their stations. Every station, radio or TV, they have purchased in SWO has been subjected to large staff and programming cuts or complete closure. Meanwhile, new stations are starting up all over and don't seem to have any issues maintaining local news operations and other programming. Bell is looking more like the Borg than a desirable broadcasting entity.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 12:31 PM

am980 when I'm in town listening, I find their newscasters are amateur, fresh out of college 20 something year olds..they have no veteran newscasters there anymore, and that's sad. With cjbk, it is baffling to me why they would change to do a morning talk show that is supposed to be local, and suppose to connect with local listeners, and have it done regionally from niagara. London listeners don't care about st catherines local news stories, and vice versa..BBM ratings for overall market share for cjbk for the past year or so has gone up, surpassing am980..why risk making unnecessary change?
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-07-25, 10:46 PM

More changes for CJBK. Mike Stubbs is taking over the morning show, partnering with Lisa Brandt. Steve Garrison is taking the morning talk show 9-12, bringing them local again (2nd time in a few years they have realized piping in Niagara wasn't the best way to go). Al Coombs is getting the 1-3 back and Andy stays at 3-6.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-02, 08:39 AM

I've been reading that Steve Garrison is going to have a 9AM to 10AM show, and they'll still be piping in Tom McConnell from St Catharines for the 10AM to Noon timeslot. As soon as the Niagara stuff comes on the air, I change stations.

Bell really has destroyed CJBK. I used to listen in from 7AM to 6PM each weekday. I barely listen to it any more, because I change the station when Tom McConnell comes on the air, and I forget to change it back..
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-06, 10:14 PM

Yeah, the original release I saw said Steve was 9-12, and then when it came down last Friday, it was only 9-10. Pure crap. I enjoy Mike in the morning, but I wish they would bring back local radio the rest of the daytime. And get rid of the stupid 6pm TV news simulcast and bring back Prime Time Sports.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-07, 02:24 PM

I reallly don't get why cjbk cannot stay consistent with their lineup. Their ratings are excellent compared to 980. Why Steve Garrison for an hour show? And ctv news at six on the radio is ridiculous!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in