Radio DXing, Tropo, Odd Reception, Weird Weather Effects - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 196 (permalink) Old 2009-07-17, 10:05 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

If you check out William Hepburn's amazingly accurate tropo skip forecast page you'll see that the Prairies rarely have tropo in the fashion that the Great Lakes region and the southern U.S. gets. After moving to the West Coast from Alberta i discovered that we seldom get tropo out here either.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

I'm pretty sure In your case getting those stations was a function of the relatively flat terrain of Southern Alberta and excellent tuner sensitivity and selectivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 196 (permalink) Old 2009-07-17, 10:19 AM

The best area in Southern Ontario IMO for FM-DX is London north towards Hanover all through Mid-Western Ontario even into the Bruce along the lake. I've caught most of my Florida, Louisiana and Colorado stations through there on car radios (RDS makes it much easier!).
post #18 of 196 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 07:43 AM

Radio Skip

In the north end of Red Deer , most of the Edmonton radio stations can recieved.

My best fm dx has about 5 years ago, I picked up a station in Texas for 10 min.

My best tv dx was a station from phoenix arizona on channel 3

post #19 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 03:06 PM

Cool 1000+ mile FM radio dx on car stereo in PEI!

I was driving home on Friday May 14th around 5:30 pm and, unsatisfied with CBC 1 and 2, seeked up and picked up "G105 Raleigh" on the stock stereo of a 2003 Honda Civic coupe. Reception was in stereo and came in and out a bit, but was mostly very clear. Then another station came over top of it.

The station broadcasts on 105.1 at 77kw. It's a long way from Raleigh to the North shore of Prince Edward Island...

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-05-18 at 03:35 PM. Reason: changed forums
post #20 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-05-20, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
That sounds like a good sporadic-E opening.

Back in '81 I got ZBM from Hamilton, Bermuda, in stereo from Dundas, Ontario. As was the usual practice, I always kept a cassette loaded and recorded a complete newscast.

Sporadic-E tends to come in from a higher angle and being in a low elevation area often is an advantage as distant signals aren't receivable.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #21 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 09:28 PM

Just picked up X102.3 From West Palm Beach, FL

I am in Ottawa, ON !
post #22 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 09:50 PM

E SKIP

James 039

today was an E-SKIP day , yep, according to WWW.DXINFOCENTRE.COM....
so normal that you got that radio station so far away
go take a look at the site
post #23 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 08:58 AM
Veteran

Ah, good old sporadic E. I should have jumped on two meters and tried to work some stations in the Deep South.
post #24 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 01:51 PM
Veteran

I was in Ottawa this week and on Monday had a short blast of an NPR station from Florida on 88.1MHz. It got as high as 45dB microvolts on the Grundig then it faded, then came back for a bit, then faded, then something else came in momentarily then faded. 5pm local Ottawa time.

Cameron

post #25 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Tuning the AM dial, listening from Ottawa area I came across some interesting ones:

1280 AM in Italian - turns out to be from Montreal - CFMB 1280 - Wikipedia: "A privately owned and operated radio station serving Montreal's diverse ethnic communities with programming in over twenty languages."
Seems to be in Italian early morning and most of the daytime.

1660 AM in Spanish - weak at night - did not catch callsign or city yet off air, but an internet search reveals this station might be WBAH 1660 Radio Unica out of New York City? Not sure.
post #26 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 09:43 PM

More DX fun here in Ottawa.

I was getting a station fading in and out around 8:45pm at 96.9FM which announced itself 96.9 KZBK.

Turns out this is a station from Brookfield, MO

Searching through the dial, I found 92.9 and 93.7FM both had country music on them, but were too fading to figure out what they were. One advertisement had a 505 area code for its phone number. Couldn't ID these though. ^^
post #27 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME / mrvanwinkles
1660 AM in Spanish - weak at night - did not catch callsign or city yet off air, but an internet search reveals this station might be WBAH 1660 Radio Unica out of New York City? Not sure.
Actually, I am picking up a few stations, weak at night, near top of AM band, listening from Ottawa:

1660 AM, 1680 AM, and 1690 AM - Spanish and other languages (?)

Not able to identify off air yet. Will keep listening to try and identify.

Anyone know? Anyone guess? Anyone else hear them?
post #28 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-06-26, 01:35 AM
Veteran

RE: Receiving 1680 AM in Spanish, listening from Ottawa, CANADA.

I think I have identified the station.

Internet search shows:

WTTM 1680 AM "El Pasaporte" - Offices in Philadelphia PA, transmitter site in Cherry Hill, New Jersey (?) according to Wikipedia and other sources on the internet.

I've also found a few reception reports from listeners on this station on the internet from the recent past. Seems they've changed format a few times ...

I think I've identified the station correctly now however ... because I hear them mentioning "Philadelphia" in some of their on air advertisements and when the announcer speaks as well.

But difficult to get the station ID off air. Reasons: From Ottawa, signal weak but readable at night only. Fades in and out. Have not heard them give station identification "on air" yet. Do not seem to give station id much at all or practically NEVER ... when I have been listening. Also Spanish is not my first language - so I may not be understanding the station ID so easily.

But - this is also PLUS - my opinion - because this station is playing some really nice SPANISH cultural music with very little interuption.

Pleasure to tune in and listen to - different - unique on the AM dial.

I am receiving this station on the CAR radio too ... at night ... on the way to work.

WTTM AM 1680 - Spanish - "El Pasaporte" - Philadelphia PA
Nice cultural music in Spanish language - nightime. Few interruptions.

Any other DX'ers out there wanna try and receive this one?
Anyone else out there receiving this one ?
post #29 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 09:20 PM

Here in Ottawa, ON I'm getting stations from Iowa and Nebraska tonight. I've listened to:

93.3 KIOA
99.5 KOOL
103.7 KAT
104.5 KSRZ
post #30 of 196 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 10:14 PM
Veteran

102.5 WTSS goes all digital.... No analogue

I was dialing around from the balcony and lots of stuff coming in from far off. Got 100.5 Rochester in HD Radio mode. But that's not the real interesting part...

WTSS, 102.5 "Star 102" from Buffalo must have some severe problems with their analogue. As I tuned them in, all I got was noise, as if the station wasn't there, but wait, the HD light flashed as if it was acquiring an HD stream, and sure enough, WTSS-HD popped out of the noise perfectly. I then re-tuned it several times with 100% repeatability. I thought, hmmmm... Grabbed the Grundig (my current reference) and checked 102.5 (it is a standard FM receiver with an excellent front end, no HD) and the channel was completely clear, just limiter noise. So... now I know that the Insignia NS-HD01 will get HD Radio, even if the main (legacy) transmission (FM mode) isn't working, but the HD is. This also means that it supports an all digital mode of HD Radio...

Very very interesting. Too bad for all those with standard FM radios though.... It covers a huge area.

Guess the techies have their work cut out fixing the analogue FM.... The HD, although overly bright, is working just fine.

Cameron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.