DAB Radio in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-13, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

DAB Radio in Canada

On Friday it was not possible to get any DAB station in Toronto except the CBC stations. This continued through the weekend and the last time I checeked this morning. Over the past 5 years there have been temporary disruptions(I assume for maintenence) but nothing to this degree. Does anyone have any information about this, or want to speculate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-15, 02:35 PM
Veteran

DAB back on this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryston
On Friday it was not possible to get any DAB station in Toronto except the CBC stations. This continued through the weekend and the last time I checeked this morning. Over the past 5 years there have been temporary disruptions(I assume for maintenence) but nothing to this degree. Does anyone have any information about this, or want to speculate.
The room got to hot and the FM transmitters were having problems with it.
So, to prevent overheating, DAB was shut down.
Glad to see someone noticed.
post #3 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-15, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, I can enjoy my investment in DAB a little longer(hopefully a lot longer). Would you happen to know why EZ ROCK 97.3's DAB signal is significantly different(low volume) than the other stations?

post #4 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-15, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tom, I can enjoy my investment in DAB a little longer(hopefully a lot longer).
But, after realizing what’s going on (so very, very few people actually having DAB capability specially home units) don’t you feel real lonely?

Believe me I wish it wasn't the case.
post #5 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-15, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I've had a whole broadcasting system to myself for 5 years...makes me feel rich(although I'm not).
post #6 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Hey, I've had a whole broadcasting system to myself for 5 years...makes me feel rich(although I'm not).
I don't know if this is true, but there was a rumour that in communist Albania for many years the evening news on their TV channel started with "Good evening, Mr. President!". He was the only one in the country with a TV set.
That effectively makes you second in history, which is not that bad either

If there were DAB broadcats in Calgary I probably would have made some investment too. Unfortunately, until recently I didn't even know there were broadcasts in Canada at all. We missed the beginning, at least let us know when it's over
post #7 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 08:57 PM

Cool DAB radio vs CBC - Sirius / CRS - XFM sat radio

Except for the mobile differences sat being North Americam wide in it's reception
vs DAB which needs each city to offer channels and diiferent tuners to recieve it .
My question is on the difference in "CD like quality " I know some people have reviwed the sat services and said it is close to CD qulity but does DAB city stations have better dynmaic range and sound quality then the sat services ?

Has anyone got links on relevant technical comparison information ?

I for one would be purchasing based on quality and not quantity of channels available ...

Ron White - Technical Consultant
www.absolutehometheatre.com

Last edited by rockhard; 2005-06-16 at 10:09 PM.
post #8 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 11:04 PM
Veteran

Those who say that CD radio has "CD like quality" are either selling XM or Sirius units, or as so clueless that can't tell AM from FM sound quality. Disregard those comments wherever you see them. The best channels on XM and Sirius are worse than proper FM analog station and sound like total crap compared to CD. DAB just can't be worse than sat.
post #9 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the clarification A.D as I kind of new that was the case for sat radio the ( MP3 sound of the skies ) and was curious to see if DAB improved things enough to be viably better than FM radio audio ...I guess time will tell ...

Ron White - Technical Consultant
www.absolutehometheatre.com
post #10 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 11:51 PM
Veteran

DAB Levels

Quote:
Thanks Tom, I can enjoy my investment in DAB a little longer(hopefully a lot longer). Would you happen to know why EZ ROCK 97.3's DAB signal is significantly different(low volume) than the other stations?
I think i've seen it mentioned here somewhere before, but unfortunately, each broadcasters sets thier own levels, audio comprssor etc. Most are still using analog into the DAB encoder.
Hard to find good help these days.....
post #11 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 11:54 PM

Reports out of EU say the very highest bit rate DAB is very very good. Many broadcasters however broadcast as low as 64kb to increase the number of channels on a given transmitter.
post #12 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Tom.F.1, feel free to share more "inside" information about DAB while it's still around. In response to rockhard's question on DAB vs. satellite, the only comparison I can make is DAB to Direct tv's music channels(I do not have XM or Sirius). In this situation it's no contest DAB is much better. DAB can sound awesome if the broadcaster makes an effort. Most music stations in Toronto transmit a 224kb/s signal, however a 192kb/s signal can great depending on the processing. The talk stations generally don't need a high bit rate. I've read in Germany they use 256kb/s which is supposed to sound phenomenal. In the summer of 2001 CBC tried a 256 signal here in T.O. but the Arcam reciever I use would'nt accept it do to a protection limit(whatever that is). When I notified the CBC of the problem they were kind enough to lower it to 224(ah, the benefits of being the only listener).
post #13 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 11:25 AM
Veteran

bryston, have you seriously not heard of another DAB listener in Toronto?
post #14 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 11:30 AM
Veteran

Tom.F.1., is there any talk you're aware of in Canada regarding scrapping DAB and switching to "HD Radio"?
post #15 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
bryston, have you seriously not heard of another DAB listener in Toronto?
I do not know of any others. One reason I joined this forum was to get feedback from other DAB users but no luck yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.