DAB Radio in Canada - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-01, 11:29 PM
JSP

Correction to my last post (DAB issues in UK)

(JSP) I correct my last post, posted at 11:57pm UTC May 1st (I'm sorry). In the UK, it's not the number of stations which is the issue (digital radio can offer a greater choice of stations without problem). It's actually the sound quality of most stations that is below that of FM because there are around 10 stations per DAB channel there. Most stations have 128 kbps and below, which is for most DAB listeners worse than FM (see http://www.wohnort.demon.co.uk/DAB/ and you'll find link to the informations about the UK DAB multiplexes)

(ai4i) You mean the Dental Record Manager software. Actually I mean Digital Radio Mondiale "Plus".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-02, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
(ai4i) You mean the Dental Record Manager software. Actually I mean Digital Radio Mondiale "Plus".
My tongue was pressing firmly into my cheek. I have been known to link to the wrong URL with the same letter abbreviation many times in the past (just to confuse things): DRM?
The important point is this: any digital technology can be overloaded with too many streams. It will always be a question of quality vs. quantity, and quantity usually wins the economic war.
post #78 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-02, 09:28 AM
JSP

I mean DRM, "Digital Radio Mondiale"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Radio_Mondiale

post #79 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-02, 07:51 PM

post #80 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-03, 12:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4i
My tongue was pressing firmly into my cheek. I have been known to link to the wrong URL with the same letter abbreviation many times in the past (just to confuse things): DRM?
The important point is this: any digital technology can be overloaded with too many streams. It will always be a question of quality vs. quantity, and quantity usually wins the economic war.
Somebody in Toronto is listing to our comments... :-)

LC: The clipping on Chum-FM gone, but they took the level down slightly to far... and isn't as clear... The dynamic song titiles have vanished from CHFI, and there's still clipping from time to time, CFNY still has more audio on the right channel with clipping and now a hum on the left....

LD: CFRB has seen major improvement in both level and frequency response, Jazz FM has seen huge level increases, but added annoying distortion and a hum on the left channel (no digital clipping though)

LF: CBC continues very weak in signal strength, but no change in quality of audio

LH: Jack92.5 has gone way down in audio, and a huge loss in frequency response at the top end, and a hum in the left channel.

Nothing on LO or LB yet.

What I find really strange about all this is: Why doesn't anyone hear hum? Digital isn't supposed to hum right? :-) It's obviously poor sheilded audio cables between the FM tuners they're using to feed the DAB encoders. NOT a very great way to showcase DAB capability.

Since I've moved, (4 blocks and now 10 floors up) I can see the CN tower from here accross the lake on a good day. DAB receiption is now a shoe-in, especially on the balcony. How weather effects such a long range from Hamilton to Toronto can now be more carefully studied. However, from the townhouse I did notice that warm windy weather did more to disturb DAB L-Band than a good T-storm or snowstorm. Interesting. FM from this location is great for Toronto and St. Catharines, but front end overload of various receivers is a problem. Hmmm... A McIntosh MR 80 would come in handy about now... :-)

Cameron
post #81 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-06, 12:34 PM
Veteran

FWIM, the DRM JSP is I think getting at is Digital Radio Mondiale.
post #82 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-08, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

On the weekend I came across a program on CBC newsworld titled "the end of radio", I'm not sure if it was a repeat or a brand new show. It was basically about the alternatives to traditional terrestrial AM/FM radio. Interestingly enough, a representative from CHUM claims DAB is not dead, and failed to thrive because of a lack of support from braodcasters. Not surprisingly the satellite radio rep. stated that DAB is finished. Unfortunately that was about it for DAB on the program.
post #83 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-10, 04:58 PM

I'm moving from England to Toronto this summer. Can I bring my DAB radio with me or are the standards different?
post #84 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-11, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Canada uses the same system but different frequencies, which is referred to as L-Band. Some radios can handle both, others cannot. Can you tell me the name of the company of your radio?
post #85 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-12, 06:33 AM

it's an intempo pg-1. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...?itp-pg-01&P=1
says
Tuner Frequency Range 174 - 240 MHz, 87.5 - 108 MHz

ta
post #86 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-12, 06:42 AM

You will surely require a different antenna. L band is from 1.45GHz to 1.49GHz.
UK uses the old 405 line VHF high band channels which were abandoned many years ago. Those wavelengths are six to nine times as long as the L band.
post #87 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 05:59 AM

Thanks. I've emailed the company to see if they can sell me whatever I need to modify the radio. I'm sure it's not as simple as unscrewing the old antenna and connecting a new one. I might just sell it and buy a new radio in Canada. MUST HAVE DAB!!!!!
post #88 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgninee
MUST HAVE DAB!!!!!
I agree. If I lived in a DAB country, I would have it in a heartbeat.
post #89 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Don't be so sure about that ai4i. DAB is good only if implemented properly. The majority of stations still sound better on FM.
post #90 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 06:15 AM

but more stations can fit on the spectrum with dab than fm. I don't know how I got by in the days before I could pick up bbc world, 1xtra, and 6music... put up with sappy pop music or "the archers" on sundays I suppose. MUST HAVE DAB.

I wonder how long it will be before Canada gets a couple o dozen dab stations broadcasting all sorts of stuff...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.