DAB Radio in Canada - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 06:30 PM

I live @ the southeast tip of the US.
Some day, I would like to see this place.
The only Toronto station I have ever heard is CFRX:

CFRX (6.070 MHz), began broadcasting in 1937. CFRX has always been co-sited with CFRB, but has used a separate antenna system.

The original antenna system consisted of two 50' vertical towers, configured for a directional radiation pattern to the north-west. The present CFRX array consists of one 50' vertical and provides an omni-directional pattern.

The original CFRX transmitter was designed and built by CFRB technical personnel at the first CFRB transmitter site in Aurora, Ontario. The power output of CFRX has always been 1,000 watts, although in the latter years of the old transmitter, this was difficult to maintain. Problems continued to appear in the operation and maintenance of the original homebuilt transmitter, with a resulting deterioration in audio quality.

Early in 1983 the decision was made to purchase and install a new 1 kW transmitter for CFRX. The present transmitter was delivered in December of 1983 and was commissioned December 31. The new facility is located in a room next to the CFRB transmitters. The transmitter was manufactured by Elcom-Bauer of Sacramento, California. The design is basically their Model 701B, with the tank circuit of the final stage redesigned and an RF driver stage added after the standard RF oscillator card. The transmitter is now designated a 701B-HF. It is a classic plate-modulated design and is capable of producing high levels of modulation continuously, as is required for a 24-hour-a-day operation of CFRX.

The program material is derived from the same links as used for CFRB and is processed at the CFRX audio rack, using CRL processors. The programming is a simulcast of CFRB's, except for a CFRX ID that runs twice an hour.

Last edited by ai4i; 2006-03-06 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4i
I live @ the southeast tip of the US.
OK, the DAB listener count in Canada still stays at 2 then.
Unfortunately that does not bode well for the future of the system.
post #48 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 06:49 PM

It will do a Trillian times better than the Ford Prefect!

post #49 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 08:24 PM

Dab

Well u could consider me as the third listener, but since i am unable to pick up dab signal in Kitchener, i am only 35 km away from coverage area. Anyways if there is anyone looking to buy a dab receiver i will part with mine for $50 bucks.
post #50 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 08:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4i
It will do a Trillian times better than the Ford Prefect!
Only Zeyphod Beeblebrox does Trillian!
post #51 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm still hanging in there Arthur. It still sounds good, but I can't find any info on where it's headed or what the future holds for DAB in Canada. I've had XM Radio since it was introduced in Canada and the sound quality is way better on DAB.

Last edited by bryston; 2006-03-13 at 04:31 PM.
post #52 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 12:06 PM

I've been checking this stuff out lately too.

Seems like Digital Radio Mondiale has had some success. There is also a company called Ibiquity claiming HD Radio or something.

Unfortunately it all seems like a LONG ways away from being very friendly.

So I bought a GE Superadio III from London Drugs and have been DXing during the evenings a bit. Thinking about picking up a shortwave radio when I go to the states next month, but the SR3 is nice and simple but gets TONS of stations.

No Stern though.
post #53 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 01:32 PM
Veteran

The DAB/IBOC traffic is too low here to consider a specific forum for it.
post #54 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 01:50 PM

The only way DAB will ever take off is if the CRTC licenses a TON of *new* stations in every major market in the country, and these stations are marketed as the FREE - Better sounding alternative to Satellite.

Nobody's going to get excited about a product that just makes existing AM/FM stations sound better
post #55 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremb
So I bought a GE Superadio III from London Drugs and have been DXing during the evenings a bit. Thinking about picking up a shortwave radio when I go to the states next month, but the SR3 is nice and simple but gets TONS of stations.

No Stern though.
Seems Grundig makes a XM enabled shortwave radio but I've yet to see it in Canada.

Bev 9200
post #56 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-19, 09:36 AM

Anyone willing (and able) to provide an update on DAB in the Toronto area. I live in Markham (Hwy 7/Warden) and would like to give it a try.
post #57 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-20, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

DAB is currently up and working in Toronto. Most major AM and FM stations are broadcasting in DAB, some better than others. Based on location you should be able to get the signal, although it may require some work and/or luck. Can you tell me what reciever/tuner you were thinking of using?
post #58 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-20, 10:55 AM

I am trying to get something integrated with my computer. I have been looking at getting a used Psion Wavefinder. Anyone with DAB experience specifically in the Markham area?
post #59 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-20, 07:49 PM

I think they went out of buisness, check their homepage.

Bev 9200
post #60 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-21, 08:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcrawford
Anyone willing (and able) to provide an update on DAB in the Toronto area. I live in Markham (Hwy 7/Warden) and would like to give it a try.
Just found the Forum.

Been listening to DAB from Toronto since Christmas 2002 with a Perstel DR101 from the east end of Hamilton.

The following ensembles are up and running:
LC, LD, LF, LH and LI.

LF (CBC) has gone very weak in the last few months. Strange.
LI has a bad internal interference problem (generated by the radio itself). Too bad.

Listening to Jack925 on LH as I type this.

Generally, when DAB is done right, it's fantastic. The severe level differences from station to station I don't see any reason for but poor engineering. And some problems are simply inexcusable. These range from audio on one channel and nothing on the other to 60Hz hum on either the left or right channel. But there are bright spots.

LC, 680 news, sounds fine in mono, CHFI, some occasional clipping, but sound is fine. (Song titles have returned after roughly a 2 year absence). Chum, OK (mono audio feed). CHUM FM-sounded better before, something's changed in the last month. Edge102, Right slightly louder then left, occasional clipping.

LD, CFRB, sounds fine, audio level low though. Mix999, Sounds fine except hum in left channel?! The Fan, Sounds fine (mono), E-Z Rock, Sounds fine, but level low, but has come up recently, Jazz FM, sounds fine.

LF, CBC has sounded fine, but no longer receivable from home, but confirmed from nearby apartment buildings as still being up and running.

LH, CHIN and CHIN-FM sound fine, just slightly low audio. Mojo 640 sounds fine, and was a stereo audio feed, but still sounds fine in mono. Q107 sounds fine, Jack92.5 sounds fine (was slightly better before).

LI, CJYE, for a 96KB/s feed, mono, it's surprisingly good. Same for CJMR. CIRV has audio that's out of phase!!?!, CIAO, Left channel OK, right channel loud 60Hz hum!?, CFMX, sounds OK, but put of Phase audio?!

So... yes, it's all still on, but strange engineering is being implemented.

Oh, and the best receiption with the DR101 is, fold up the antenna completely, then just swing the collapsed antenna so just the one piece is straight up. Works like a charm.

First radio had a thermal problem, would quit roughly every 3 min. Replaced it under warrently and the current one works more or less well.

The FM works well, except for a soft thud, thud thud every couple of seconds. Seems this is timed to the updating of the signal stregnth meter. Hmmmm...

I use Koss Porta-Pro phones. Huge improvement.

Use 2300 MA AA cells (NiMH).

Radio also has an easter egg....

That's in a new post.

Cameron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.