DAB Radio in Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Geez, you've got some kind of bizarre hate-on for Toronto when you can equate the failure of DAB to a single city!

You are completely correct though - the CRTC has absolutely ZERO obligation to encourage any station to make the transition - be it DAB or DTV. They simply don't have the power or the mandate to do that. The FCC in the US has authority from the government to "encourage" (with a sledgehammer) TV stations in the US to begin digital transmission, and something similiar would have to happen here for DAB or DTV. DTV and DAB are both entirely voluntary at this point.

Besides, DAB broadcasts in are more cities then just Toronto, so why not pick on them, too?

And what city are you from, anyway? I'll have to find something to blame on it, just to even the score!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 03:51 PM

Question Dab in Canada: news to me

I am a real electro-junkie (Wifi, Sat. radio, pocketpc, Amateur radio, etc) and before finding this board, had never heard about Canadian DAB. I remember having friends in the UK demo it for me on trips over there but never heard a single word about a Canadian DAB....must have either missed the press release or it is a high tech secret
post #33 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 05:15 PM
Veteran

There *was* an organization responsible for the promotion of DAB in Canada and they used to routinely run commercials on the radio for it, but that group imploded a couple of years ago. They had persuaded Radio Shack to carry a few DAB receivers, but that was the ony retailer that got on board. I owned a retail store at the time and emailed this organization for information on where to source DAB radios that I could sell in my store, but two emails went entirely unanswered. So really, the state of DAB in Canada is no surprise to me.

The US never adopted DAB. They developed their own system called IBOC that has a marketing name of "HD Radio". IBOC hides a digital signal alongside a station's regular analog broadcast. So, no new frequencies and no new broadcast antennas are necessary. HD Radio is really picking up steam now in the US. Just take a look at this site and tell me if this isn't where you'd like digital radio in Canada to be right now.

post #34 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaeh?
I know this post deals with DAB in TO but is there any DAB in Ottawa?
Yes, but just the CBC. And I'm the only DAB listener in Ottawa. In fact, the CBC could very well have shut down DAB; I haven't unpacked the radio since moving last fall.
post #35 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-07, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Finally after all these years I have found another DAB listener!!!!
post #36 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-07, 07:08 PM

I dunno, unless I unpack that radio soon, I might be "former DAB listener".
post #37 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-07, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

If you have listened to DAB in the past what equipment did you use, and what was your impression.
post #38 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-11, 08:02 PM

I don't remember the brand name, but it was the portable radio that RadioShack sold for $100. We only have CBC in DAB here, and CBC2 was at 192k and sounded great. The lack of BG noise certainly helped with the classical music.

Reception was absolutely horrid. No reception in my apartment. No reception in my office. Walking downtown with it was impossible. And I live fairly close to where their DAB transmitter supposedly was.

The batteries drained really fast. Neither the DAB tuner nor the FM tuner had presets, and the FM tuner moved very slowly and in 0.05Mhz increments!

I'd say most of my problems were due to bad hardware and a signal not designed for anything more than internal tests.
post #39 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-12, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

The unit your referring to is by an Asian company called perstel. I also bought it at radio shack and returned it the same week due to many of the problems you pointed out.
post #40 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-12, 05:57 PM

So do other radios deal with reception significantly better?
post #41 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-12, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

The only radios I know of that can recieve the Canadian DAB signals(different frequencies from British DAB) are made by British companies, and they are made specifically for home stereo systems. The companies are Arcam and Cambridge audio, and both companies have web sites you can look up. The Cambridge radio(the Azur 640T) recieves FM as well as DAB, and sells for about $600CDN. Arcam has a new radio coming out called the Diva 91T which also recieves FM and DAB and will probably be around $1100CDN. My radio is an earlier version of the Arcam unit without FM. In my case reception has rarely been a problem, but I am within sight of the top of the CN tower which broadcasts the signal. The Canadian ditributor of Arcam products(Emerald audio) also sells a larger antenna specifically made for DAB frequencies, but in my case the small antenna supplied with the tuner has been adequete. I hope this helped, if you have any other questions I can help with let me know(as you can tell I can go on and on about this).
post #42 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-12, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a 'wait and see' approach on this one since I really doubt DAB is going to catch on at all. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be satellite and its (currently) sub-par audio.
post #43 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-14, 09:28 AM

Here is a test I did on the DR-101 in 2002.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ead.php?t=3306
post #44 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 05:12 PM

Terrestrial DAB

Terrestrial DAB is going to become a major topic of interest for many years. Eureka-147 is the best sytem and L-band is the best place to put it. Perhaps the DHC gods would consider a third subforum under Sirius and XM to discuss Canadian terrestrial DAB.
post #45 of 364 (permalink) Old 2006-03-06, 05:30 PM
Veteran

I would be very glad if DAB spreads in Canada. But last I heard there are only a few DAB stations in Toronto with a total of 2 listeners, both of whom post on this forum. Are you the third one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.