DAB Radio in Canada - Page 25 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #361 of 364 (permalink) Old 2017-01-17, 03:21 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Listening to CHKX 94.7MHz in HD Radio at the moment is NOT a good representation of HD radio and makes a massive case for what Ben has been after: an audio switching methodology to defeat the HD1 feed.

This is so reminiscent of times I was listening to DAB.

As I type, CHKX 94.7MHz has analogue FM. That's OK
HD1, no audio but song titles are there.
HD2, "wave.fm" sounds fine.

Had the HD1 feed been able to be bypassed, regular FM would have filled the gap. As it is now, KX-94.7 can NOT be enjoyed on an HD Radio receiver as designed.

I see as I continue to type, they're working on it, but still no audio on HD1.

Thus, they do seem to have a lot of teething problems keeping it going, just like DAB.

The 95,3FM HD signal appears to be stable however.

I've heard both systems sound great. But as I said earlier, when it goes wrong, man it goes very wrong, and digital doesn't lie.

Cameron

EDIT: with silence on HD1 continuing, I just picked up the radio to see what was playing... you'll never believe this... Song title: "Fix" by Chris Lane... (my sides are sore now... LOL)

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Last edited by CamDAB; 2017-01-17 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added EDIT line... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 364 (permalink) Old 2017-01-17, 04:16 PM

"Serious" music lovers in Toronto have been badly harmed because CHKX 94.7MHz - now broadcasting IBOC - has terminally diminished PBS at 94.5, even for plain FM reception. (PBS told me they had comparably diminished CHKX 94.7MHz for many years and accepted the moral consequences.) As a high-brow culture vulture, this scenario totally disgusts me where a pop music station wipes out a quality broadcaster, albeit American.

I suppose DAB would not have this interference problem, but then we couldn't receive PBS at all on exclusively DAB tuners.

IBOC does have problems, teething or permanent.

Can't say as I yet see compelling reasons why the Canadian broadcasting establishment went for Canada-exclusive DAB?

Ben

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6
post #363 of 364 (permalink) Old 2017-01-17, 10:48 PM
Veteran

The biggest problems with IBOC are diminished audio quality and adjacent channel interference. The FM channel is clipped to make the digital audio channels fit and the digital side bands tend to cause interference on neighboring FM signals. Never mind that the digital channels are kept at lower bit rates to make 3 channels fit in a slot formerly used for a single analog signal. The whole thing is just one big compromise. I'm sure audiophiles would like to see PBS stations go pure digital with just one channel on each frequency. That may happen eventually once analog is shut down. Popular music stations will likely keep 3 channels to maximize on potential listeners and profits.

post #364 of 364 (permalink) Old 2017-01-18, 12:47 AM

I've never been too clear on audio-fidelity and nobody has useful stats for anything digital (except to claim its always perfect).

Is IBOC simply a zero-sum game? Shared among "analog" FM and wherever additional channels are broadcast? With secondary (or spoken word) channels working with lesser pieces of bandwidth?

DAB different?

Ben

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.