DAB Radio in Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryston
I do not know of any others. One reason I joined this forum was to get feedback from other DAB users but no luck yet.
If you have followed the DAB situation here over the last few years and accessed the official DAB website you would understand why you can't find other users. The whole thing was promoted on the basis of broken promises and I hate to say this but out and out untruths.

For someone like me who desperately wanted to invest in the technology it was an exercise in futility and frustration. Do a search here on the DAB subject and you will see what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I understand your frustration Khorn. I followed DAB here and in England from the late 90's to the present. One problem here was lack of co-ordination. You can't promote something like this before hardware is available. Also judging by the quality in the early days(and in some cases now), some broadcasters simply did'nt care. I must say though that when the web site was run by Hennesey and Bray they were helpful and responsive when I contacted them.
post #18 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-17, 03:44 PM
Veteran

DAB still going

I've done some service on the DAB transmitters at CN Tower and I know some people who still service them, that's how i knew why they were off last weekend. Sorry, I'm not privy to any insider information. I have heard no plans about scaping it, but i have heard plans for adding more stations. There are licenses out there for some ethnic stations who would really like to be on, but i think expanding was on hold.
I'm a big fan of DAB, but i don't think i'll buy a reciever just now.

post #19 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-06-30, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

This is a question for Tom.F.1. The DAB stations went down again this week I assume for the same reasons you stated previously. I was just curious why did all 4 CBC stations remain on while all the others were off? Thanks.
post #20 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-01, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
That effectively makes you second in history, which is not that bad either
Nobody remembers what Buzz Aldrin said as he followed Neil Armstrong on the moon
post #21 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-01, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryston
Thanks for the reply Tom.F.1, feel free to share more "inside" information about DAB while it's still around. In response to rockhard's question on DAB vs. satellite, the only comparison I can make is DAB to Direct tv's music channels(I do not have XM or Sirius). In this situation it's no contest DAB is much better. DAB can sound awesome if the broadcaster makes an effort. Most music stations in Toronto transmit a 224kb/s signal, however a 192kb/s signal can great depending on the processing. The talk stations generally don't need a high bit rate. I've read in Germany they use 256kb/s which is supposed to sound phenomenal. In the summer of 2001 CBC tried a 256 signal here in T.O. but the Arcam reciever I use would'nt accept it do to a protection limit(whatever that is). When I notified the CBC of the problem they were kind enough to lower it to 224(ah, the benefits of being the only listener).
I've read somewhere (I hate remembering info, but without the source) that the commercial Brit stations are cramming as many stations as they can into a limited bandwidth and the audio is noticeably degraded.
post #22 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I've also read the same thing in the British hi fi magazines. My experience has been anything under 192k is noticably poorer. I guess in Britain they are trying to push it as far as possible until people resist.
post #23 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 12:24 PM

Ottawa?

I know this post deals with DAB in TO but is there any DAB in Ottawa?
post #24 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 12:30 PM
Veteran

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. There are DAB broadcasts in most major cities, AFAIK. The answer is probably on the CAB web site somewhere.

edit: Thought I'd check myself...was rather amused to see that Digital Radio Roll-Out Inc. "re-launched" a year ago, but not for marketing purposes. So I guess they meet once a month and talk about those great digital radio signals floating around in the air that absolutely nobody knows about!

Anyway, if you go to http://www.digitalradio.ca, it will forward you to a CAB page that lists DAB broadcasts. Completely unsorted, of course...that would take someone 5 minutes and they are all much too busy for something like that!

Last edited by JohnnyG; 2005-07-04 at 12:39 PM.
post #25 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
edit: Thought I'd check myself...was rather amused to see that Digital Radio Roll-Out Inc. "re-launched" a year ago, but not for marketing purposes. So I guess they meet once a month and talk about those great digital radio signals floating around in the air that absolutely nobody knows about!
Yes, I agree it looks like one of the best kept secrets in Canada
post #26 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 04:04 PM

Quote:
There are DAB broadcasts in most major cities, AFAIK.
As long as those cities are Toronto, West Toronto, East Toronto ....

The CRTC needs an atlas because they can only ever find 4 cities. Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
post #27 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-04, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Hardly the CRTC's fault! All they do is process applications for DAB broadcasts, which means there are no applications.

Which is probably a good thing anyway because DAB couldn't be more DEAD. Time to turn 'em all off and switch to HD Radio.

Don't get me wrong...I like DAB better, but since we're the only country in North America using it, we'll never get a decent number of receivers available.
post #28 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-05, 07:38 PM

I love the way people from Toront think.

So if no TV station had applied to go HD in Toronto then we should have just scrapped the entire idea and stayed NTSC all across the country is that correct?

I am not sure why DAB auto units from Europe would not work. Home based units seem a little more problematic but only because of the power requirements. That is just a matter of a power supply swap. Not really a big deal on an assembly line. Cost would be stiffer though.
post #29 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain
Huh?!

Quote:
So if no TV station had applied to go HD in Toronto then we should have just scrapped the entire idea and stayed NTSC all across the country is that correct?
Huh?!

Quote:
I am not sure why DAB auto units from Europe would not work.
Canada uses different frequencies, so it's not plug and play. But besides that, how many DAB models are available in Europe? Pioneer has/had an add-on unit, and I believe Blaupunkt makes a few head units. Some of these were/are available in Canada, but the prices were outragous.

Quote:
Home based units seem a little more problematic but only because of the power requirements. That is just a matter of a power supply swap. Not really a big deal on an assembly line. Cost would be stiffer though.
But WHO is going to do that? Panasonic Canada does not commission the creation of new models. Nor does Sony Canada, or any of the other major North American brands. That leaves several European brands which have no distribution and no brand equity here. The only DAB radios on the Canadian market that I know of where from unknown Korean companies.

If they turned on DAB transmitters next door to you (wherever that is - I'm guessing it's not Toronto) tomorrow, how would you listen to the signal? Where would you buy a receiver?
post #30 of 364 (permalink) Old 2005-07-06, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain

Huh?!

Quote:

Huh?!
Like ATSC is supposed to be a replacement for NTSC. DAB was supposed to be a replacement for analog AM and FM. You seem to feel that the CRTC has no obligation to to encouage any station to make the transition. What if the CRTC had come out and said here is the frame work for ATSC and no one stepped up? Should the CRTC have done any thing to prod them along? Or should they have just thrown their hands in the air and said oh well we tried.

It is easy for people in Toronto to sit there and go well what ever new thing comes along we are gonna get it and once we get it who cares about any one else. Short sighted thinking like that does not serve you well though.

If the DAB roll out had been nation wide rather than just in 1 or 2 cities do you think there would have been a better chance of sucsess? Instead of your radio only working in Toronto if you decided to drive some where else your radio would still work. National retail chains then could have afforded to do major advertising campagns. It is hard to get excited by the sales from one city. On the other hand it sure didn't take The Source and Best Buy long to get out there with their sat radio stuff.

As long as DAB is limited to the audience it has now you will not get manufactures interested. We have seen Canada specific models of other electronic devices in the past though. While changing the frequencies in a radio are not as easy as swapping power supplies which get changed on lines all the time. It still isn't monsterous. I imagine it would work like cars. The US gets far more choice but we still get some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.