RDS usage on CBC Radio1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

RDS usage on CBC Radio1

I drove from Ottawa to the Golden Horseshoe over Easter with an RDS capable radio. Ottawa CBC radio 1 uses RDS to state the station name but as I drove down the 401 I noticed the other CBC stations/repeaters in Kingston, Belleville and surprisingly Toronto didn't seem to use RDS to even state the station name.

I first encountered RDS in Britain in 2001. I thought it was the neatest thing. We listened to BBC on an RDS capable car radio and the radio automatically changed frequency to keep the same station as we drove around the country. Such usage of RDS would be excellent for CBC though I seem to remember reading that feature was never made standard in North American RDS.

Can anyone comment on how much CBC uses RDS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 11:41 AM

I went to the UK for the first time in 1996,
and RDS was everywhere, even in Scotland,
i was amazed by this technology.

I bought a car in 2001 with a RDS Radio in it,
and i traveled a lot with it, at that time, only a few
radio stations in the US where broadcasting RDS
data on their programs.

Then, in Quebec, alot of French stations were converting
their broadcast to RDS, and correct me if i'm wrong but ...

By law, the CRTC asked the French stations to include
all the RDS data to their programs a few years ago,
and know it will ask the same for all the english canadian
radio stations to do the same this year.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 03:50 PM

All of the commercial stations use it here in London, except the CBC and our College/University stations which is unfortunate. I like how the Corus stations here in town have the Artist and Title of each song display automatically, its very handy.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 06:58 PM

Canada never used RDS to its full potential. They only display the station name or the odd song. CBC and RC are prime candidates for RDS due to the multiple repeaters across the country. Like the OP said, travelling from Otawa to Toronto would be a lot easier if RDS would autotune to the next closest repeater, but this country has not cought up to that yet. We tend to be a few years/decades behind when it comes to technology.

France, like most of europe has used RDS for many years now. I have a couple radios that have RDS that I bring with me each time I travel. Makes finding stations much easier. RDS even offer the ability to auto adust time, and even stop a CD/tape from playing when news or traffic alerts are transmitted.

Except for the public broadcasters, Canada has few national broadcasters which transmit in multiple cities. Even Jack FM (when it was popular) didn't even broadcast the same feed across the country. I remember switching from Toronto's JACK to Barrie's JACK and they would be like 2 different stations. In these tought economic times, stations of the same owner and genre should group together and form national networks. And just have local segments for news and perhaps the morning shows.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 07:30 PM

Really hard to do with CRTC local content rules.

Plus, even though the stations shared the same name, they were programmed specifically around what competing stations programmed. (Some better than others though.) There's really no difference from Rogers running a JACK-FM in Calgary and Toronto, or CHUM operating C100 in Halifax and Energy 101 in Calgary. Names are just that...

It's really super-easy to use the alternate frequency feature in RDS, and I have no idea why the CBC wouldn't. It's perfect for them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-24, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Interesting comments from all.

Thinking about it more I'm certain CBC radio from Toronto used to included station name via RDS. For my own piece of mind can anyone in that broadcast area confirm prior use of RDS? When did it stop?

I find some of the private stations go over board with the scrolling slogans they broadcast. You have to try have to ignore them or you'll end up in the ditch.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-04-25, 10:07 AM

For What it's worth, all 4 CBC stations in Ottawa broadcast their names only over RDS.

This site, despite being out-of-date, is interesting in a geeky sort of way.

http://www.rdslist.com/freq/99.php
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-09-21, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
CBC Radio 1 in Toronto now broadcasting RDS info

For the first time I've noticed CBC Radio 1 Toronto now is transmitting at least it's ID via RDS.

Never had that before for them. Radio 2 has always had RDS, at least as long as I've had that palm sized HD Radio that also decodes the RDS of a station transmitting regular FM.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-09-22, 09:27 AM

The Radio 1 transmitter in London also has recently added RDS info but it is pretty basic. Simply says you are listening to Radio 1. No Program information at this time.

LOSat
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-09-24, 11:33 AM
Veteran

I regularly listen to the so called Wingham (nearest major town I guess) 100.1 transmitter, it has station ID on RDS.

The 98.7 Wiarton transmitter either lacks RDS, or comes in below the threshold for it. Same for the 97.1 Radio 2 transmitter (apparently also from Wiarton.

Last, if you get CBC radio on your cable or satellite TV service, there probably is a program in the guide, the same as TV shows. I am pretty sure it is on Shaw Direct, it was on my Series 2 TiVo last I used it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 11:21 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
^^^ The program provider for the BDU often has included the radio program guide themselves.

As others have correctly stated, most CBC broadcasts simply state that you're listening to Radio 1 or 2.

Sometimes, overnight on CBC Radio 2 from Toronto, I will see occasional song info show up or show titles show up.

OTA CBC Radio is lagging TV in this regard for consistent program info.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-09-26, 10:07 AM

I agree, CBC R2 occasionally has song information. I don't listen to R2 enough to know whether it is done sporadically or on specific shows.

LOSat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.