Guitarist Bo Diddley dead at 79 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Guitarist Bo Diddley dead at 79

Another legend leaves us...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Musi...bit/index.html

Rip

- Daytek DT-4040 - Electrohome 801EDVR - Hitachi 43UWX10B - LG RH398H-M - Motorola DSR505 - Toshiba D-R4/D-R5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 02:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The famous Bo Diddley riff

His legacy is a host of seminal numbers that now make up the canon of any self-respecting R&B musician's repertoire. Sad to see him go, but I've got some CDs to enjoy. His trademark riff was the shuffling strum in Who Do You Love but heard in many of his songs:

I walked 47 miles o' barbed wire...
DA-dit-DA-dit-DA-dit-dit-DA-DA
Used a cobra snake for a necktie...
Got a brand new house on the roadside
Made out of rattle snake hide
I got a brand new chimney made on top
Made out of human skulls
Now come on darling let's take a little walk, tell me
Who do you love

Randy Bachman, on his CBC Radio One show "Vinyl Tap", once talked about how a musicologist studying African regional rhythms introduced Bo Diddley's trademark riff to a group there who recognized the rhythm as one of their own ancestral, tribal rhythms. The people felt that Bo Diddley was probably a descendent of their own tribe who might have learned that rhythm from his own slave-sharecropper ancestors. I don't know if Bo Diddley ever commented on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Obituary
The world-renowned guitarist's signature beat -- usually played on an equally distinctive rectangular-bodied guitar -- laid the foundation for rock 'n' roll, and became so identified with him that it became known as the "Bo Diddley" beat. It was unlike anything else heard in pop music.

"This distinctive, African-based 5/4 rhythm pattern (which goes bomp-bomp-bomp bomp-bomp) was picked up by other artists and has been a distinctive and recurring element in rock 'n' roll through the decades," according to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.
Terrific video featuring Bo and "Lady Bo" to the far right:

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 04:29 PM

Great clip..there are some other ones on youtube worth your time as well.

I was talking 5 or 6 years ago to some blues musicians in Chicago who were around during the glory days of the Maxwell St. Market (http://maxwellblues.com/). Many of them remember Bo as a tough hombre with a rhythmic feel from heaven.

Keith Richards of the Stones said he could never figure out how guys like Bo and Chuck Berry got their chords to sound so big..then when he met them, he realized their hands were enormous..lol..I shook Bo's hand once and can testify that's true. Massive things.

The Indestructible Beat of Bo Diddley
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/..._of_bo_diddley

Wonderful obit:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,6515788.story

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 08:59 PM

Wow...what a shame. That sure was a big name in music. May he make music with the other great legends of rock in the rock and roll heaven.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 07:08 AM

R.I.P. Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley rocked the Skydome in Toronto way back when. I was fortunate enough to see him there.

He was and always will be a giant of Rock and Roll. Where would rock and roll be without The Bo Diddley Beat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.