What! - Walter Gretzky, Steve Nash named to Order of Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

What! - Walter Gretzky, Steve Nash named to Order of Canada

The man who first taught Wayne Gretzky how to play hockey is among 61 people who were named to the Order of Canada on Friday.

I'm sorry but Walter Gretzky, the order of Canada??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:30 PM
Digital Sage

Hamitons Clara Hughes also received a similiar medal. Front page of todays paper. Rather ammused at this when I read it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:39 PM
Veteran

I want one too - and I'll my kids are all still in Canada.

I'm a sleep expert.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:42 PM

I don't know the extent of Walter Gretzky's charitable work, but assuming it's significant, that's as good a reason as any to get the Order of Canada.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:43 PM
Digital Sage

Oh, who exactly is Steve Nash anyway?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know the extent of Walter Gretzky's charitable work, but assuming it's significant, that's as good a reason as any to get the Order of Canada.
My response was meant to be tongye-in-cheek, but I agree, Walter was instrumental in not just Waynes hockey career, but he's been somewhat of a presence as a Canadian citizen as well.

I'm a sleep expert.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 02:34 PM

Walter does charitable work all over North America. He is very prominent with CNIB and other charities.

Steve Nash is one of the most popular Canadian Athletes that goes very under recognized here in Canada. He won the MVP in the NBA 2 years in a row I believe. He also does tons of charity work and is basically leader in basketball for Canadians to look up to.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I'm sure Walter has been doing celebrity work for the last few years for some charities but frankly, I'm certain I can name some folks that no one has ever heard of that have done a lot more charity work than Walter or Steve. Charity work that is actually on the ground sweating out the hours.

IMHO, It's disrespectful to the real givers who have spent a lifetime helping the country.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 04:02 PM

True, but the Order of Canada and awards like the Nobel Peace prize, to name another, are often given to "celebrities" instead of more deserving common folk.

Last edited by jvincent; 2007-12-29 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 04:53 PM

Well said jvincent. I agree.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 07:05 PM

The majority of the names in the attached list, I don't recognize. I think this might be a case of the media reporting on the celeb's without giving full recognition to all those appointed.

Cheers,

jayson
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 10:12 PM

Here is the quote from a link about this news from nba.com:

On Thursday, Nash was named one of the 2007 recipients of The Order of Canada – the country’s highest civilian honor. He was selected not just for his fame, but for his many humanitarian efforts through his Steve Nash Foundation and the Canadian school system.

IMHO, Nash has been generating goodwill for Canada not just in the USA but also to basketball fans around the world.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 11:26 AM
Veteran

If guys like Elton John are knighted in the UK, then what does it matter if our celebrities are named the Order of Canada? I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to sweat it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 05:11 PM

Are we now going to see MDG ads with "Order of Canada award winning" Steve Nash?

The award has become a joke.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 06:34 PM

Quote:
The award has become a joke.
Are you serious?
Do you really feel this strongly about the Order of Canada recipient selection process?
I doubt the vast majority of people on this forum could name more than a handful of award winners.
But I'd bet a BAZILLION dollars that any that people could name would all be "celebrities" from sports or entertainment.
And as far as Walter Gretzky goes, I've seen first hand how tireless a volunteer this man is for youth sports, Heart & Stroke, Children's Wish, people with intellectual disabilities...the list goes on and on.
He did not receive it for being Wayne's dada, I can assure you.
He is fully deserving as I'm sure all this year's recipients are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.