Effective 15 July, 2007: Air Canada adds pets to no-fly list - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Effective 15 July, 2007: Air Canada adds pets to no-fly list

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...t-flights.html

Quote:
In a letter sent to the Canadian Transportation Agency on Wednesday, the national carrier said "please be advised that Air Canada will cease the carriage of pets as checked luggage on domestic as well as international routes [including transborder routes], as of July 15, 2007."

Fitzpatrick said the airline will allow people with existing reservations to fly with their pets after the deadline. Otherwise, animals will be permitted to travel only on more expensive Air Canada cargo flights that have trained animal handlers.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

The thing that bugs me is that Air Canada Cargo uses the same passenger planes... but does not guarantee that the shipment will be on the next flight out... all for more money.

This is a total money grab!!!

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 05:48 PM

If my cats are terrorists, I'll eat my shoes right now!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 06:04 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
I've seen plenty of pets that are terrors, some of them Terriers, but not terrorists.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 06:48 PM
Veteran

Oh WestJet will love this. They're cleaning up domestically right now as they actually allow certain pets to ride with their owners and at reasonable rates. Last fall I flew to Abbotsford, B.C. with my wife. There was an international dog show going on at the time. On the return flight there must have been 15 dogs (small) in specially designed carriers. Nary a peep out of them. O.K., the odd yip from a newbie, but other than that nothing. Not one of the dog owners had a pleasant thing to say about Air Canada.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-22, 07:11 AM

Don't know why this is a big deal really, in other parts of the world, you have to make sure your pets have their shots and then you check them in as cargo. They have pet passports in the EU countries
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-22, 09:04 AM

It's a big deal because if you have to ship your pet as cargo now, there is no guarantee that your pet will be on the same flight as you.

Before, your pet was considered checked baggage and would get to the destination on the same flight as you.

I agree that WestJet will be all over this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-22, 09:30 AM

of course they are, and they've already said that. Anything to get one over your competitors. Once again, 9/11 changed everything about flying, which will mean less people going away abroad because of all the hassles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-22, 11:46 PM
Veteran

I guess the logic is, that it increases their profit, and only inconveniences a small percentage of passengers. However as Air Canada keeps inconveniencing different small groups of passengers.

Personally after a 5-hour flight to LA where I had to buy my own food, and a 4-hour flight to Seattle, where they didn't even have any hot food to sell ... I'll do anything I can to ever fly that horrid airline again. I'm sure most people aren't bothered by this. But if they keep alienating different groups of their passengers ... they won't have any.

I don't see how 9/11 has anything to do with this. This seems more on the current need for any large corporations to make additional cost savings every year, in order to increase shareholder equity.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-27, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Personally after a 5-hour flight to LA where I had to buy my own food, and a 4-hour flight to Seattle, where they didn't even have any hot food to sell ... I'll do anything I can to ever fly that horrid airline again. I'm sure most people aren't bothered by this. But if they keep alienating different groups of their passengers ... they won't have any.
And they go from one extreme to the other. It wasn;t that long ago that they would be serving a hot meal on a 2 pm flight between Ottawa and Toronto which is only ~30 minutes in the air. By the time they finished distributing the plates they had to immediately start collecting them before they started their descent.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-27, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Indeed - I've been on short hops out of Toronto where they'd be lucky and take off west to east, and then land west to east, eliminating turning over either end; the loss of that extra travel time on a full place really made it a challenge to get to everyone! Was more of a sandwich than a hot meal though ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.