Ontario joins other provinces with electronics disposal tax - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Ontario joins other provinces with electronics disposal tax

Ontario seeks to add to the sales tax a disposal tax to cover the burial of your electronic equipment when it fails.
http://www.thestar.com/article/224749
new fee would include telephone, stereo, radios, speakers and cameras
Perfect for a campaign that promised no new taxes

Last edited by haystack; 2007-06-13 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 08:17 PM
Veteran

It's not a tax, it's a disposal fee
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 10:04 PM
ASA

That's along the same lines as Toronto's Mayor and his tax... err, I mean "Revenue tools".
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 11:28 AM
Veteran

They are starting this in BC too. I have no problem with it as long as they use the money to properly recycle or dispose of the electronic garbage. I believe Alberta has had this for a while now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 11:35 AM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
I have no problem with it as long as they use the money to properly recycle or dispose of the electronic garbage.
Ditto. My concern, as always, is that the money will end up being either misallocated or squandered.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 12:30 PM

I wish they would use part of the GST/PST for that kind of stuff.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with it as long as they use the money to properly recycle or dispose of the electronic garbage.
The same way the gas tax goes to fund road work and other transportation infrastruture projects.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 05:34 PM
Veteran

There's an existing program in Ontario which makes manufacturers/first importers of bluebox waste pay for half the cost of recycling this waste. Since it's these companies best interests to keep the costs down, systems have been put in place to make sure municipalities don't inflate the costs by including non-related charges. While the Waste Electronics program will operate differently, similar checks and balances should be put in place to ensure the collected money goes towards recycling costs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 06:56 PM

Well, this now adds one more thing to the list of things (eg. beer) that eastern Ontarians will now be driving across the border into Quebec to buy cheaper. In exchange, western/southern Quebecois folks will cross into Ontario to get pesticides.

Hooray for Federalism!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 07:14 PM

you try to recycle, but they won't take it.... :(

It's kinda funny.....I always take my old electronics, obsolete computer parts, etc. to the Miller hazardous waste disposal site at 14th and Woodbine. About 18 months ago, my brother in law asked me to help him take an old Proton 36" monitor-style tv to the hazardous waste depot, but I told him I thought they only took computer monitors. Well, we wrestled this old beast into the back of his van and we drove it out there, and sure enough, they wouldn't accept it even though the bro-in-law argued that it was a "monitor"....(heh-heh!).

We ended up leaving it at the curb for weekly pick-up (now twice weekly where I live) but some urban recycler grabbed it before the garbage man could. I hope it found a nice home.....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Well, this now adds one more thing to the list of things (eg. beer) that eastern Ontarians will now be driving across the border into Quebec to buy cheaper. In exchange, western/southern Quebecois folks will cross into Ontario to get pesticides.
Not for too long. Quebec has started its bluebox waste program in February and waste electronics is being looked at:

Quote:
In Quebec, a bill has been proposed to amend the Environment Quality Act and the act regarding the Societe Quebecoise de Recuperation et de Recyclage. This new bill legislates for producer responsibility of WEEE. It is expected that the government will actively pursue a WEEE system in first quarter 2007 with implementation in late 2007.
http://www.greensupplyline.com/howto...7007195&pgno=2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.