Audiophiles warn of demise of auto CD player - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 05:09 PM

I used to listen to my CD collection all the time in the car. Ever since I went with XM, I rarely even get a CD in the car. With satellite radio, I have all the types of music I feel like listening to so CD is not a priority anymore.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 05:14 PM

I never really got into CDs in the first place. I was a big fan of talk radio, but since I got XM, I haven't listened to a CD or regular radio (except in the shower). I found that I would get sick of CDs very fast in the car and it was a hassle to constantly be changing the track or the disc. Good riddance
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

With my Stiletto, I never use the CD player in the car. I got rid of my CD players in the house about two years ago. When I buy a CD, I rip it to my computer and then file it away.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-13, 05:53 PM

I just hope HD radio broadcasts are mainstream by then, and that the hardware required is inexpensive. Also I hope USB ports become standard, and that these new cd-less decks have decent menu systems.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies

Last edited by Luis_A51; 2007-06-13 at 05:54 PM. Reason: USB port addition
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-14, 09:56 PM
Veteran

I still use the CD player in my car....to listen to the MP3s I burn to CD when I'm not in the mood to listen to something on XM, which is rare.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-15, 03:57 PM
Veteran

It is sad, really. CD was the pinnacle of audio formats. It's been all downhill from there. Manufacturers found out that consumers actually don't give a damn about audio quality, and pushed (and continue to push) it into the ground. It all started with 128 kbps MP3s off the Internet played on $10 PC speakers, then iPod sound on crappy $2 headphones, then came the abomination called satellite radio. Consumers are obviously willing to take it - the future is no way friendly for the audiophiles.
That being said, I fully understand why people choose convenience over quality. I also listen to MP3 (also had sat radio for some time) in the car. I just feel sad about the good old days in consumer electronics when newer meant higher quality. In 10 years, when the last analog FM stations are shut down, the new generations will not even know what decent quality audio is or was, because they never were or would be able to hear it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-17, 02:47 PM

Yes I often lay awake at night lamenting that my children will not even know what decent quality audio is or was in 10-20 years time.

The comsumers are directing the market, their are not being forced to take anything, there getting what they want.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-17, 07:32 PM

i installed an aftermarket mp3/wma deck in my car and use it constantly. i tried satellite radio, but the audio quality was so bad that i ripped it back out of my car even after going to all the trouble of installing it. i rip all my mp3s at minimum 192k, and they sound fairly decent. not as great as an actual cd, but pretty close.....

Panasonic 50PZ85, HK AVR354, Athena F2, B2, C1, Velodyne CHT10, 8300HD, HD-D3, Harmony 880, XBOX 360
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-18, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barter View Post
Yes I often lay awake at night lamenting that my children will not even know what decent quality audio is or was in 10-20 years time.

The comsumers are directing the market, their are not being forced to take anything, there getting what they want.
Not really. In the era of marketing it is the advertising agencies hired by suppliers that tell consumers what they "need" through numerous sophisticated marketing channels. The consumer has much more limited input than about 50 years ago. When a new technology is adopted or dropped, some people hastily think that "the consumer has spoken", when it's actually the big businesses together with the marketing companies who have made the choice for him.
Barter, you looked at this issue from a very unexpected for me angle. I never would have actually thought to feel sorry for the future generations about anything, just glad that I was able to enjoy something that they won't.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-18, 02:13 PM

"It is sad, really. CD was the pinnacle of audio formats. It's been all downhill from there. Manufacturers found out that consumers actually don't give a damn about audio quality, and pushed (and continue to push) it into the ground. It all started with 128 kbps MP3s off the Internet played on $10 PC speakers, then iPod sound on crappy $2 headphones, then came the abomination called satellite radio. Consumers are obviously willing to take it - the future is no way friendly for the audiophiles.
That being said, I fully understand why people choose convenience over quality. I also listen to MP3 (also had sat radio for some time) in the car. I just feel sad about the good old days in consumer electronics when newer meant higher quality. In 10 years, when the last analog FM stations are shut down, the new generations will not even know what decent quality audio is or was, because they never were or would be able to hear it."

My sentiments exactly Arthur... My sentiments exactly....

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-18, 02:37 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Quote:
CD was the pinnacle of audio formats
I would argue that good vinyl was superior to CDs, especially once CDs became mass market and were overboosted in the highs and lows to compensate for the cheap stuff they were played on. The production values on CDs were very important (much like they are today on DVDs) and many CDs simply had lousy production values.

It's pretty hard to carry around vinyl in your car, however, I made some good Dolby C tapes of my vinyl which sounded very good in my cars. I didn't even have a CD player in my cars until I was "forced" into it with my latest purchase for my wife two years ago because it didn't have a nice tape option and I didn't feel like swapping the in-dash unit, so I made some CDs on my Mac for that car.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-18, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Technically speaking, DVD-Audio and SACD are the most superior audio formats ever, but they couldn't really take off, so I'm not mentioning them. As for vinyl, it is great and will always have value and staunch supporters - it is undoubtedly the pinnacle of analog audio - but it is 100% non-portable, therefore not practical enough to last. The CD is the only high quality digital format that actually became a broadly accepted standard and ruled both the high-end and portable audio markets for a very long time (and will continue to for the next few years). That's why I called it "The Pinnacle".
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-18, 07:24 PM

I would much rather a sd card/ipod/usb slot in my car than a cd player. Cd's are a PITA.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2007-06-19, 09:11 AM

Yeah CDs are a pain in general. I have a 5 disk CD/DVD player at home and with my wife, my children and myself competing for slots it is just to much media manipulation.

Quote:
I would much rather a sd card/ipod/usb slot in my car
Plus, for the longest time I couldn't figure out why they didn't put a mini-jack input on car stereo systems. They finally got around to it after MP3 players had been around for a few years but even today it is not common. The mini-jack is universal, cheap and you can plug your laptop, your MP3 player, cell phone, etc. Hit AUX and away you go.

Last edited by Jake; 2007-06-19 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.