Would you move to a place where wired internet was not possible - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Inglewood
  • 1 Post By timlocke

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-24, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Would you move to a place where wired internet was not possible

In the last year I have spoken with two people who told me that they cannot get wired HS internet in their small town/village. I am satellite internet and cellular/wireless. Reasons are insufficient speeds, too expensive, small caps and poor to non-existent signals. And 2.4GHz/3.65GHz/900MHz wireless is problematic in hilly terrain.

I am NOT talking about slow DSL/cable internet, I mean zero internet.

What is interesting is that a few MSL listings I looked at in these towns, actually listed HS internet as an option. That is almost assumed in this day and age. But I doubt people are will to pay a premium for slow satellite/wireless internet.

As it was explained to me the current POTS infrastructure (ports) is maxed out and unless someone cancels their phone line there will be no new internet customers. And since cell coverage is practically non-existent nobody is willing to give up their landline.

So would you ever move to a town like this? You have to wonder the impact on real estate prices too. Some of these dead spots are not too far form large urban centres too.

Since these are small villages of a few hundred souls I don't expect infrastructure to be upgraded before the 1000s of other slightly larger communities are done.

It is a bit outdated but you can map the unserved/underserved market here. There are a lot of places not capable of the stated CRTC minimum of 5/3Mbps. And that was 2013.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/internetcanada.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-24, 01:43 PM

I moved around a lot in the late 1990's and 2000's and had years where I didn't have internet service at home and had to go out to find it (usually at a library).

As long as I could get decent TV service (Satellite) and have a phone line, I'd be fine. Especially in a rural setting with a discounted price!

I actually think it would be easier these days with smartphones - I didn't have that option years ago. I would have no issue walking/driving somewhere to catch up on email/news on my phone.

Guess it just depends on how dependent you are on having the internet immediately available 24/7 at home. I personally think I could get by without it.
Gentleman likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-24, 09:07 PM

I have to agree with Inglewood.

But it is funny you raised this question Jake as my wife and I are looking at some vacant land to construct a new home, totally off the grid and it just so happens that there is little to none availability of internet connectivity. The only utilities at that site is Bell telephone and Hydro One and it is way too far from the CO for any DSL.

So to answer your question, I'd be okay without internet connectivity IF I had really good OTA TV reception and a hard wired Bell landline.

Internet connectivity is nice, but I've lived over 2/3 of my life without it. It wouldn't be a must have for me.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-24, 09:44 PM
Veteran

startup ur own internet cafe in said small town.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-25, 07:19 AM

I have Rogers wired in Guelph of course. Two of my friends live in the near countryside and have to rely on Bell fixed wireless and Xplornet respectively. I would NOT move to anywhere that had either service...not that they are bad for what they can do but once you get used to >100 Mbps service in any weather...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gzink likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-25, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tom. Sounds like a good business plan but the business might have trouble getting internet itself.

My parents have DSL and they are a stone's throw from the CO. Yet the max speed offered is 1.5Mbps with most getting well under that. And I am pretty sure they pay the same as urban DSL customers who get much faster speeds.

I did not experience internet for 25 years of my life but I would find it hard to change my current internet habits. That is email, webex, banking, shopping, movies, music, photos, facetime etc. While it is theoretically possible with 1Mbps, a house of 3 people would make for an interesting social experiment.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-04-29, 10:05 PM

1mbps was pretty good, even with multiple users until hd video streaming came along.

I could do almost everything but forget very large downloads and youtube.

Until like 2003-2004 900kbps was standard for dsl and around 3mb for cable. And many had dialup.

Dialup was pretty fast in the late 90s and early '00s before websites became very content-heavy. Now a simple website would take like 10 minutes to load on a 56k modem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in