Retail gas station ripoff in Hamilton ON - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Retail gas station ripoff in Hamilton ON

Hamilton was always outside of the GTA pump prices but in the past week or so all or most of Hamilton and Niagara peninsula stations are the same as GTA prices. Collusion? You would certainly think so. And the price of a bbl of oil has gone down daily the past week or so as much as $1.50 a day and yet the pump prices are the same today as when oil was over $68 a bbl. Am I the only one who sees this? Duh. sailmaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Prices and profits for gasoline sales are up due to the consolidation of gas station ownership over the past 20 years. No surprise there. Just like everything else, competitors have been eliminate and it's time for the industry cartel to increase profits on the backs of consumers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 01:29 PM

Here in Niagara stations a few kms apart are 20 cents different...for example, the stations on the tourist strips in Niagara Falls are 20 cents more per litre then those on the outskirts.

Usually the price is pretty consistent.

At least in Niagara if the gas gets too crazy, everyone will just cross the border.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 02:19 PM
Veteran

There are also a few new players in the market. I've seen some Gulf, Mobil and Circle K gas stations now in Ontario.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 04:25 PM

Gulf is another name used by XTR - a small player.
Mobil and Circle K are just more names used by Imperial Oil, AKA Esso.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 08:51 PM

I just looked at the gas prices you are complaining about at 116.9 or around that price. Here in Vancouver BC, the province right beside the Oil sands giant, we are paying between 144.9 and 147.9. Depending on the time of day, morning is highest price when people go to work and night is least when everyone is home. Sorry, don't feel so sorry for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sony XBR75X940D, Yamaha HTR-8063, Infinity TSS-1200, Polk Audio 8" Sub, Optik 4K VIP5662W & VIP5602W, PS4, Harmony Hub
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 09:25 PM
Veteran

Yeah but you Vancouverites voted for your mayor. Here in the interior of BC it's 118.9.
Oh and the anti petroleum premier might have caused an extra cent or two. Why not? BC is lucky to be getting it at any price.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 09:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
...BC is lucky to be getting it at any price...
Yeah, let those Western bastards freeze in the dark, and keep out the creeps and bums. (Homage to Alberta in the 80's under the NEP while I lived there).

In my area of Toronto prices are typically around $1.25 for regular with some areas under $1.20. Of course GasBuddy is your friend... Although I hate it when I go to the bother to look up a place (on my route) and the price has gone up 10 cents by the time I get there. Barrie and Peterborough often are pretty inexpensive compared to Toronto. We don't drive much, so it has almost no impact on the overall cost of our vehicles.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Ontario

If you want to complain, live in Europe, say France, The Netherlands, or Italy at about twice our price:

Gasoline prices in Europe 05-Feb-2018 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com

That's part of the reason why people there drive smaller vehicles with smaller engines.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Normally the gas stations are placed in such a way that in the morning on your way to work, the ones that are on the way like just before a highway entrance or exit, are priced $1.25 a liter for bronze. But if you drive 2 minutes out of your way, you will find another station which is 10 cents per liter cheaper. I think they did thier market research very well and know which routes most citizens take to go to and from work and the stations along this path, are priced 10 cents higher than the ones which are out of the way or serving industrial / less traveled areas. Since I know this, I take an extra 2 minutes now and drive to the station which is 10 cents cheaper, plus when I pay with my Royal Bank credit card which is linked to my petro points, I get an additional 3 cents per liter off the price. So im saving 13 cents per liter, its not much but over time it ads up, especially sicne the wifey drives the mini van which is a gas guzzler, every little bit helps.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Normally the gas stations are placed in such a way that in the morning on your way to work, the ones that are on the way like just before a highway entrance or exit, are priced $1.25 a liter for bronze
In Mississauga, on Hurontario, right beside the 401 is a Petro Canada station that's typically 3-5 cents cheaper than most stations, including a Shell a few blocks down Hurontario. I drive by both, if I'm taking the 401. There's also an Esso at the same intersection as that PC and another PC further down Hurontario, a couple of blocks past that Shell that also have the lower prices. Petro Canada and Shell share refineries.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 07:09 AM
Veteran

But not the additives, according to a retired refinery guy.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 09:47 AM

I always find it ironic at my work the people who complain about gas prices the most are the ones driving higher end cars/trucks, get coffee a few times a day, always eat lunch out, and the only financial thing they whine about is if they bought 30 litres of gas for 2 cents more then another station down the street that will last them all month.

It amuses me how gas pricing gets all the attention. This week 2L of Pepsi/Coca-Cola is $0.99 at some stores, yet the local convenience store sells 355ml cans for $1.50 - aren't they gouging the customer as well?

I do feel for truck drivers as the fluctuations on 100's of litres of fuel through a week does add up, but for the average guy buying gas a couple times a month, it may not even be a couple dollars out of their pocket.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 11:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Here in Vancouver BC, the province right beside the Oil sands giant, we are paying between 144.9 and 147.9.
The issue with west coast prices is that it's a completely different market than Alberta and other places east of the Rockies. The US west coast has the same issue. Pipelines and tanker trucks do not navigate the mountains well and create an isolated market for gasoline. Whether it's fair or not is another issue but costs and other factors, like supply routes, make west coast prices higher.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 12:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If I lived in Peterborough, I think I'd be buying gas about 10 days after a "peak correction" if I had the choice...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 01:04 PM
Veteran

It looks like people in Toronto are being consistently overcharged. The gas "wars" are over here as well but prices are still below Toronto. Most independent gasoline retailers are now out of business so discounts are difficult to find. Since 2014, crude oil prices have dropped an average of about 80%. Canadian retail gasoline prices have dropped an average of about 20%.

@57 , What is the site used for the graph posted above?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in