My prediction about the future of online eCommerce, good and bad - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 11:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I would rather pay MORE and get a good quality products that have been produced in Canada than get something dirt cheap which will break down or who knows what chemicals I will be exposed to.
I agree.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 11:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
When I hear fellow Canadians complain about how "horrible" things are here it makes me sad. It amazes me still how well my family has it here. I would never have dreamed of a life like this in my childhood.
While Canada is no doubt better than many other parts of the world, there are many who are old enough to remember when things were better here. For example, I never heard of "precarious employment" until a few years ago. Back when I started working when you had a job, you could count on 40 hours pay per week. These days, many people are forced into part time or temp jobs, where they're unable to properly support themselves. The average person is being squeezed, with the benefits going to the "1%".

post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I agree on the Job aspect of it, its terrible now, its a lot harder not only to GET your dream job, but much harder to KEEP it, with companies downsizing and cutting costs left right and center, you study hard to land that job only to be disappointed when you get that nice little "notice of layoff" after a year. You are upset because you want to move forward in life and everything is against you. My cousin and her partner are older than me, but probably make the same income as we do, but have a harder time buying a house? why? I will tell you why. Its because I met my wife and got married, but I did it years ago and was able to buy a house and move into it and raise a family. My cousin is doing the exact same thing as me, same money, same hard work, but she can't buy a house for her and her partner because The price of the house when I bought it is not what the price is today, so she needs A) More Money or B) move to another city where houses are not as much but have to probably get another job in that city or commute twice as long to go to work. These are things which Canadians in today's economy have no control over, no amount of school or studying will bring the price of the house to a level that is appropriate for you.

So not only is the housing market out of reach for new home owners, if you can overcome that and buy a house you will also have another struggle, you need to sustain a long term employment to pay off your mortgage. Constantly getting laid off or changing jobs means one thing, your net income will not always be the same month to month. one job you might make decent money to pay your mortgage and utilities but if you get laid off and find another job that pays less you might have to sacrifice cable TV or Downgrade your cellphone plan to the $20 a month instead of $120 a month, so you can afford groceries or swimming lessons for your kids, but strangely I know a lot of people who are in a pinch but do not want to downgrade their cellphone packages or do not want to get rid of their gas guzzler suv leace and get a cheap small car or a cheap cell phone plan, that is an oxy moron

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 12:12 PM
Veteran

As I said before, the problem is wealth inequality. The middle class (what's left) and professionals are doing OK but they see the world from a narrow perspective. There are approximately 2.5 bedrooms for every person in Ontario. At the same time there are thousands of homeless and many more who are underhoused with extended families or unrelated people living in poverty in cramped dwellings with inadequate facilities.

Then there are Canada's members of the 1% richest people in the world who, worldwide, own 50% of the world's wealth. That percentage has increased every year from 42.5% in 2008 and continues to rise. Millennials are the worst off due to losses in full time employment, chronic underemployment and escalating personal debt. In the past 50 years, human values have been lost. Then, it seemed that everyone was interested in increasing the quality of life for all Canadians. These days, it seems like society is controlled by wealthy people are only interested in exploiting others for amassing personal fortunes.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
There are approximately 2.5 bedrooms for every person in Ontario.
That's a pretty interesting stat. What's the source?

--
Neil
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 01:19 PM
Veteran

It was from a survey published in a newspaper. It's a fairly common occurrence in many cities in the world. The rich and super rich often own high end dwellings in multiple cities around the world. These units are purchased as getaways (instead of using hotel rooms) and as investments. Even people of moderate income get in on this by buying or renting time share units. This results in rapid increases in property values (as witnessed recently in Toronto) and the development of large, luxury residential high rises that are built mainly for investors and which remain vacant most of the time. The problems this causes are bad enough that many regions, including Ontario, are passing laws to discourage this type of investment. Meanwhile, people live in cardboard boxes in the same neighborhoods as these buildings.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 01:25 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Many units are being used exclusively for Airbnb, taking them out of the housing market and hurting the hotel industry at the same time.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 03:18 PM

How Canadian homes became debt traps - Macleans.ca

This Macleans article sums up how I feel about our economy - too many Canadians think they are entitled to have many things/luxuries, get way into debt and then can't keep up. Then they cash in their only asset and find themselves at the back end of 60 or older with nothing. Based on the numbers, it's very common.

Parts of this article kill me - like the guy who says splurging is going to Subway - why the heck are you going to Subway and spending $10 when you can't even pay off the minimum on your debt! I don't think I spend that on lunch all week (a loaf of Old Mill bread is $1.79 at No Frills, and I get a pack of $3.99 Bologna that lasts well over a week - and the odd $1 or $2 bottle of mustard every month). Yet this guy can't even keep up with the debts he created and still thinks he can get a fancy sandwich??!!!???

Too many people feel entitled these days when they can't afford it. The whole "avocado toast" thing that was all over the place seems common with friends and co-workers.

What happened to building a nest egg? or what happens when a "rainy day" comes along to people?

I'm also tired of people calling people like myself cheap. Just because I drive my car for 15 years until it is dead and I don't want the latest Mercedes, live in a reasonable home, buy clothes at Walmart or Giant Tiger, and paid off my debts and don't go to Europe or the Caribbean a couple times a year, somehow it is something to mock these days? I'll be laughing when I'm retired at 55 in few years...
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 05:21 PM
Veteran

I hear you. What gets me are the people who spend $4 on a latte every day. That's $800/yr for someone who works full time and for what, a weak coffee with some frothy milk? I was a bologna on plain bread person but bologna, especially the week old stuff, makes me feel ill these days. Using sliced left over roast chicken is healthier, tastes a lot better and just as cheap.

Don't judge older people who don't have a "nest egg." Some of them may have lost it due to illness, accidents or other unforeseeable events. Others never get a chance to save due to poverty level wages or raising a family on a single income. A lot of others get screwed out of pensions or savings by unscrupulous companies, corrupt unions and crooked investment firms. There are a lot of people out there who see other peoples' pensions and savings as a way to make themselves rich. Most of the victims don't even know it's happening until it's too late.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Many of us make pretty good money so latte a day is a good thing if it makes a person happy. I work hard for a living so have no intention living on bread and bologna all week. Saving for retirement is good but overdoing it makes life miserable. After all we will not be able to take it all with us.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
It was from a survey published in a newspaper.

Until I see the actual survey, colour me skeptical. There are vast swathes of suburbia where 1:1 or 3 bedrooms/4 people is the ratio. Hard to believe there are enough rich people to have 14,193,384 x 1.5 = 21,290,076 "excess" bedrooms.

--
Neil
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Many of us make pretty good money so latte a day is a good thing if it makes a person happy.
I'd rather spend the money on gourmet coffee beans or high grade tea leaves sourced directly from owner run plantations. $4 buys about a week's supply, tastes better and I feel happy about supporting independent farmers in poorer countries.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I agree 100% with Inglewood and ExDilbert. They're struggling to pay their bills, but theyre buying $7 latte's at Star Bucks every day, they can not afford home ownership but they take 2-3 caribbean vacations every year, They complain the cost of living is going up, but they eat at $100+ meal at Red Lobster every 2 weeks. At 24 years old my parents had bought a home, and had kids. The reason is because my dad did not splurge on things, he was cheap, he saved his money, he worked overtime when it was available, he supported us. Now its my turn, I got married, I bought a house, have kids, have 2 decent cars (not fancy ones), I think I am doing damn well in life, I do not go on 2 tropical vacations every year, heck I have not gone away in a few years, its not a necessity. The last time I went on a tropical vacation was my HunnyMoon. I do not drive fancy cars like Bimmers or Benz's like my friends do, Not only are the cars pricey but the service on them is also cost a lot more. I make sandwitches, pasta, salads, soups and take left overs to work every day. ONCE IN A WHILE I will *TREAT* myself and buy lunch at the Caff, or go to a restaurant with some co-workers, but NOT ALL THE TIME. I try to drink the office coffee instead of spending money on Tim Horton, tho I realy like my Timmies. Sometimes I will buy the Tassimo K-Kups and brew them myself in my Keurig Brewer at home in the morning and take it to work in my travel mug, it saves money compared to buying a coffee at the coffee shop.
I do not have a $120+ dollar a month cell phone plan with all the bells and whistles. Instead I am paying like in the $40-50 range, and I want to try to lower this too, I do not use long distance on my cell phone if I need to make a LD call I will use my home phone line cus LD is included in that plan. I do not subscribe to ALL the TV channels, I do not need the biggest TV package that exists. but I also do not subscribe to the minimum either, I am somewhere in the middle, and have sports and movies, the sports channels are for me, the movie channels are for my wife. I know a heck of a lot of people in my generation and in my circle around me DO NOT FOLLOW THE SAME HABITS that I do and they are all about spending and getting high quality of life, but my life is already very high in quality, you do not need to spend what you do not have to higher your life style. you just gotta be smart.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
They're struggling to pay their bills, but theyre buying $7 latte's at Star Bucks every day, they can not afford home ownership but they take 2-3 caribbean vacations every year, They complain the cost of living is going up, but they eat at $100+ meal at Red Lobster every 2 weeks.
Did you go down to the U.S. and ask a lot of people about this too? Facts instead of stereotypes:

* Spending habits of millennials vs boomers | Fortune
* https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/13/mill...-one-item.html
* https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/30/here...r-parents.html
* https://blog.dol.gov/2016/11/03/spen...by-generation/

--
Neil
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I said the same thing pretty much as 2 others on here but its funny how my posts are getting attacked, Im not trying to pick a fight, if u don't like what I have to say just read another post. I stand by what I said, I see people who I grew up with, same middle class, but they splurge the hell out of their lives where as I don't . Just accept it man, not every URL you post is relivant to everybodys situation, those links are not even Canadian news sites, they are american, last I checked we live in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.