When you forget your email password, its easier to open a new account? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

When you forget your email password, its easier to open a new account?

In my humble experience with the Internet, I have found that in today's society, its easier for people to abandon their email account, and just open a new one, and forget to tell people about it.

People don't like challenges, they hate remembering passwords, etc. My good friend has changed email addresses like 6 times in the last 10 years, and when he does it, he forgets to notify people who regularly email him about the change, and one time this led me to being spammed because his abandoned email account was taken over by a hacker or spammer and was sending spam to everyone it received an email from, not just that but it would use our names as the sender sometimes, which was highly annoying.

I guess I'm different, I use the same email account for 15 years or more, never forgot my password, and the one time I did, I used the recovery questions and got back in. I dunno, the thought about having abandoned email accounts out there left unattended can pose a security risk, I remember one guy who I knew and emailed once in a while, unfortunately past away, his account was left dormant for many years, then one day out of the blue, I got an email from his email address, but, it wasn't him resurrected from the dead, it was a spammer who took over his account by hacking into it.

The same can be said for people who forget their social media account passwords, I have like 5 of the same friend on my friends list because she keeps either forgetting her password or getting locked out or so, eventually one of the dormant accounts started spamming out, go figure, so we had to unfriend it, hah

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 02:03 PM

I change my email annually - too much spam, junk, and unwanted contacts build up over the year.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

believe it or not, 15+ years strong with the same email, not a single ounce of spam. cant say the same for my yahoo email, due to the problems yahoo had in the news lately. if you give out your email like candy then yeah expect a lot more spam, but if u keep it between family, friends and professionals, then you should be good

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 02:27 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
My wife and I also have the same e-mail for close to 15 years. I believe I had to change it when Rogers made us do so around that time.

I have a "disposable" e-mail that I use for online shopping, etc.

However, I'm not bothered by spam any more, even on the "disposable" - the filters on Rogers/Yahoo seem to be working quite well and I check Webmail once a week to ensure nothing "real" has ended up in my spam folder on Webmail. Probably get less than one a day spam there.

Even if you are very careful with your e-mail, you may end up being spammed by a random e-mail generator, unless your e-mail address is "unwieldy." I get no spam on my Outlook e-mail client.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I agree I use a "disposable" email for online e-commerce, but to avoid dragging this off topic, the more accounts we abandon out there, the bigger our digital footprint is, the more risk we have of identity fraud. These people I know who either past away or had their abandoned accounts hacked and turned into spam bots, also may have left some personal info on the email account profiles which is not a good thing. I know email accounts ask for some optional and sometimes often mandatory info to provide them about where you live, address, date of birth, etc. I have provided as little as possible JUST IN CASE. And if I did provide it to an email and was worried about how its used, I would give a specific info that I know won't or can't be used against me, but would satisfy the email account personal info requirements.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 03:13 PM
Premium Supporter

I keep track of my e-mail addresses and the sites I've joined and I do my best do ensure that I don't leave any information behind when I deactivate / unsubscribe / abandon one. It seems like a sensible thing to do but in an age where everything seems quick, public and disposable, it's not surprising that many people don't (think to) do it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-12, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Looking at my archives, I see my oldest active email address (on vex.net) is now 20+ years old. I moved to it when Internex Online (io.org) was bought out.

--
Neil
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 12:13 AM
Veteran

I had to change my email(s) a couple of times due to switching ISPs. Now I don't use ISP email addresses. (TSI let me receive emails on my accounts for a couple of years after cancelling. Other ISPs like Rogers could gain a lot of goodwill by doing the same.) Another, Canada.com, shut down their email service. I typically use 3 or 4 emails to keep some more secure and spam free. One is rarely shared and only used for things like banking. Another is for communications with businesses. Another is for the rest of regular email. Yet another gets shared for things like Kijiji and can easily be changed. I also have a some other dedicated emails like an Outlook account for Windows activation and Google account for Android and Google Play. They are typically not changed or shared.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I learned my lesson a few years ago about why not to rely on an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or TPI (Third Party Internet) dependent email. I was in the process of cancelling my Rogers@Home Internet and was hoping to sign up for another internet company in the future. When I put my cancellation request, I received an email from a job I applied to about a month ago, stating that I have passed the first round of the screening process and to stand by for further instructions to be emailed to me shortly, and that this was an un-monitored email account that I could not reply to and there was no one to contact for help. Anyways I had to Cancel my Cancellation request just so I could receive further emails,. and after completing an online test and assessment, I did NOT get the job and decided to keep my internet for 1 more month, and decided to open a email account just solely for applying to jobs and such.

Come to think of it, hotmail/msn/live/outlook.com now supports up to 5 Aliases I believe so I really only need just one email account, and can have PersonalEmail@hotmail (give to my friends and family), EmailForResumes@hotmail (a professional looking email for using on resume's and such) and disposableEmail@hotmail (for online shopping and such) and they all go to the same inbox and can choose which address to reply from as well. So Yeah props to Microsoft Hotmail!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 09:27 AM

I have used Gmail from the time when you had to get an invite to use it, that's a long time ago now. 2004.

One thing I love about Gmail is the fact that there is an easy way to sort incoming e-mails while keeping the same (well almost) details, here is how I use it;

Not my real e-mail addy but you get the idea

allanb at gmail dot com
a.llanb at gmail dot com
al.lanb at gmail dot com
all.anb at gmail dot com
alla.nb at gmail dot com
allan.b at gmail dot com

Using an e-mail client (I use Sea Monkey) you can set up filters to move each version to a separate Folder. Advantage is no need to have mutilpe accounts, these are all under one account..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes True AllanB, that is a GREAT Feature of Gmail, and I have known about that for 15 years, and when you reply to the email it still sends from allanb at gmail dot com, where as my example was if someone emails me at EmailForResumes@hotmail, and I reply, the reply will show as EmailForResumes@hotmail instead of my primary, that way you dont reply from a email such as 24InchPithons@hotmail.com or SexyMikeTheItalian@hotmail accidentally to your potential employers.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 11:52 AM
Veteran

Most email clients will reply using the same info. The reason I use completely separate accounts is to reduce the impact in case one is compromised. One common form of identity theft is for hackers to compromise an email account. If the email used for banking is isolated from the email shared with easily hacked friends and family or possibly insecure web sites, there is less likelihood that the banking email will be compromised.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-13, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes that is true, that is why I still have a separate email account for that with To Factor Authentication. but i have multiple aliases for my primary. To Each His Own im not telling you what to do, but you have the flexibility to do as you wish, just some methods are stronger /more secure than others, but others are more convenient

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.