Guantánamo Bay - a human rights scandal - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 01:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCitizen
I believe I did hear that or that he attended a meeting that had terrorist speaking (someone like Osama or his people).
Where? Do you have a link or something tangible? Because none of that was ever brought up in his hearing. Do you have special access to top-secret CSIS documents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQUEUE
I don't blame Arar for being upset about his situation. I don't blame the US for being paranoid about everyone. But, I also don't blame Canada or whoever made the decision to send him back, despite the results because I don't know how anyone can make the right call all the time.
Until it happens to you someday... Almost happened to a co-worker of mine.
post #63 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP
Where? Do you have a link or something tangible? Because none of that was ever brought up in his hearing. Do you have special access to top-secret CSIS documents?
No but found this within two minutes of looking. See INDEPTH: Maher Arar
I am sure I saw it somewhere. This article says the US suspected he had connections.

http://web.ask.com/redir?u=http%3a%2...rar050525.html

CSIS documents. Come on how old are you? And show me an article that it was not brought up at his hearing? And why is he only going after the Canadian Gov't? Why not the US? Just a thought...
post #64 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Until it happens to you someday... Almost happened to a co-worker of mine.
No, even after it happens to me. I'm a visible minority, I get picked on, I get racially biased, I get singled out in certain situations and while I'm lucky enough to never have been tortured as a result, I know what I am talking about. Is it unjust? Absolutely and if someone could come up with a perfect solution, I'm all ears. But, I know that there is no perfect solution and with the state of things today, some people are going to come out on the short end of things. Is it wrong? Absolutely. Is it going to happen again? Absolutely.

I mentioned previously, Japanese were interned in this country during WWII and Japanese scream bloody murder about it. But Japanese troops raped and pillaged much of Korea and China during the Sino-Japan war and yet they deny it. Do we think the US is trying to be viciously cruel? No, but I think they want to protect their country and are doing it the only way they know how. Again, maybe its wrong, but can anyone come up with a _guaranteed_ way, so that there is no discrimination and yet no chance of another Sept 11th attack?

I'm sorry for your co-worker and I'm sorry for all those who are unjustly treated. I hope they find relief somehow through some means. But like the many people who have died in this whole thing, they are a casualty of war IMHO and its going to happen no matter who wins or who is in control.
post #65 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:05 PM

Well it sucks to be Arab now a days. I assume your co-worker is.

What happend?
post #66 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
os

Quote:
That IS the best thing about the US. Why do so many people immigrate to the US? Answer me that if we are so bad.
Your economy is not bad. Your foreign policy is. And there are a lot of intelligent and informed people in US, despite the "dumbed down" media. You don't see them in mainstream media, but on Comedy Central or HBO. I totally respect those people and their courage, despite all the risks they take.

Quote:
If you do read my comments you have addressed my comment about kids that the terrorist are using to do the dirty work. If a 13 year old goes down Yonge Street in Toronto and starts shooting a gun at police and inocents. Your telling me that the police should not arrest him. Please. And before you counter, yes it is the same. And yes, National Security (ie sovereity) and risk to US soldiers or US embassys are all the same.
Last time I checked, most children starting to shoot are in US high schools, not in Toronto. Anyway, they would be prosecuted, not held indefinitely in prison without being accused of anything.

Quote:
You keep bringing up all these Camp Iguana and other camps. Who are your sources... what are their reputations? What are their creds? If you tell me Amnesty I am going to laugh!
The US government is the source. It has admited it detains over 500 people without being accused of something, people that have been kidnapped from their country (if they don't recognize them as POWs then that is their status).
Also I guess you heard of Abu Ghraib, even from Fox News.
post #67 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:09 PM

You see the world through the eyes of Comedy Central and HBO...oh dear lord!
post #68 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
This article says the US suspected he had connections.
Ohh! So now it's "suspected", eh? Quite a far cry from what you previously said: I believe I did hear that or that he attended a meeting that had terrorist speaking (someone like Osama or his people). Sure didn't sound like "suspected" when you first said it. Being "suspected" is enough to ship abroad for torture?

By the way, the link you provided gives nothing new. It sure doesn't answer the question I asked.

Quote:
CSIS documents. Come on how old are you? And show me an article that it was not brought up at his hearing?
Can't find an answer so you go for insults instead? Typical.

Quote:
And why is he only going after the Canadian Gov't? Why not the US? Just a thought...
Why don't you use the search skills you bragged about earlier?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/nation...rar040122.html
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...uit031124.html
post #69 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buritto
Well it sucks to be Arab now a days. I assume your co-worker is.

What happend?
He was on an train going to New-York from Toronto when the train was stopped at the border and the guards went directly to him. He was taken into custody for questioning for 10hrs before being released and put on a bus to New-York. He's 25, of Indian background, an engineer. But what he thinks triggered the red flag is that he works for Atomic Energy of Canada (where I'm a contractor). That was three years ago or so.
post #70 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:33 PM

Quote: MARCP
CSIS documents. Come on how old are you? And show me an article that it was not brought up at his hearing?

Can't find an answer so you go for insults instead? Typical."

Insults your comments were the insulting ones. Well maybe not are you from Amnesty then maybe. Thought you might say something like my search skills and then heres one for you Amnesty boy.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/weinreb060205.htm
post #71 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Thought you might say something like my search skills and then heres one for you Amnesty boy.
Quote me where I mentioned Amnesty International... I challenge you. I have no idea where you got that from. And I have no idea why you're bringing this article up. Does not relate to what we were discussing.

Or maybe it is an attempt to avoid discussion now. By trying to humiliate me... You asked me how old I am, but you're really showing more immaturity.
post #72 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 02:47 PM

Just wait until the day when suicide bombers start striking a little closer to home, and mark my words that day will come. I cant wait to see the reaction of all the bleeding heart liberals. This is a nessasary evil IMO. Some innocent people suffer as result, there is no doubt about it. In the end however, a lot of would be terrorists are taken off the streets. I simply refuse to feel sorry for anyone in this situation.
post #73 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Quote me where I mentioned Amnesty International... I challenge you. I have no idea where you got that from. And I have no idea why you're bringing this article up. Does not relate to what we were discussing.

Or maybe it is an attempt to avoid discussion now. By trying to humiliate me... You asked me how old I am, but you're really showing more immaturity.
If you actually read the article it talks about Arar. And before swinging a bat better look in your backyard. You still have not proven my questions either. And the high school comment come on if that was not a low blow then I'm George W. And the Amnesty comment... well that issue has been in this whole blog throughout. You specifically have not mentioned. But are you?
In answer to your question or comment...
"Ohh! So now it's "suspected", eh? Quite a far cry from what you previously said: I believe I did hear that or that he attended a meeting that had terrorist speaking (someone like Osama or his people). Sure didn't sound like "suspected" when you first said it. Being "suspected" is enough to ship abroad for torture?"

Be sure to read my full statement. I said and I quote "If I am incorrect someone let me know" I still do not see any proof he was not.

If I were to have documents they would be FBI or CIA not CSIS.
(pisssst - look at my id tag. USCitizen). Just a hint.

biglyle - I agree.
post #74 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
os

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle
Just wait until the day when suicide bombers start striking a little closer to home, and mark my words that day will come. I cant wait to see the reaction of all the bleeding heart liberals. This is a nessasary evil IMO. Some innocent people suffer as result, there is no doubt about it. In the end however, a lot of would be terrorists are taken off the streets. I simply refuse to feel sorry for anyone in this situation.
I'm afraid the result is exactly the opposite. The number of terrorists have dramatically increased over the last few years (if you fell the need to ask where this information came from, it's from the US gov). And the number of religious extremists and human rights abusers (on both sides).
And I'm not a liberal, I'm just not an extremist religious conservative, like the current president of US and his supporters.
post #75 of 113 (permalink) Old 2005-06-02, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
os

Quote:
Originally Posted by buritto
You see the world through the eyes of Comedy Central and HBO...oh dear lord!
Im talking only about 2 of the best political shows in US: Jon Stewart on CC and Bill Maher on HBO. Bill Maher was fired from ABC, Jon Stewart was not promoted to mainstream, both for their political views.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.