NASA's New Horizons Mission To Pluto - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DSgamby

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

NASA's New Horizons Mission To Pluto

Some incredible shots being beamed back from New horizons. I have always been interested in planetary research. Anyone else following?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 09:40 AM
Premium Supporter

That first shot of Pluto was stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing more images (a few can be found here) and reading about the analysis of the transmitted data.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 10:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Nova on PBS had an excellent programme on the New Horizons mission on Friday, along with the first few pictures. It covered some Pluto history and the entire mission, not just the few pictures we've seen this past week. It was interesting watching some of the scientists who spend/spent their entire lives on this topic.

It will take a while to stream all the pictures back to earth, so we can probably watch those updates on the web, or in another science programme on TV in a month or two.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 11:58 AM

I've been following NASA's deep space exploration programs as far back as the very "romantic" Pioneer 10. It always amazes me how they can manage to maintain radio contact with probes over such long periods of time.

Every now and then (once a semester), I go to the NASA mission status pages and dwelve in the technical details of current probe survival parameters (such as those of Voyager I and II, New Horizon, Opportunity and Curiosity).

And those photos, just breathtaking. Imagine mankind's achievements in the past 100 years. To think that in 1915, mankind was barely getting off the ground and now is capable of sending probes to regions where the sun hardly shines (no pun intended).

New Horizon appears to be a vey sturdy craft which according to NASA, should maintain radio contact beyond 2030.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-21, 09:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
It always amazes me how they can manage to maintain radio contact with probes over such long periods of time.
It's done by using massive amounts of redundancy to eliminate background noise. Those gigantic dish antennas don't hurt either.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-07-21, 06:25 PM
Veteran

^^^^
It's called "forward error correction" and they also use a low bit rate (1 Kb/s IIRC) so that they can get by with minimum power.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 03:47 PM

I had the opportunity to hear Alan Stern (New Horizon's project leader) speak in person, earlier last month. It was fascinating hearing the details directly from him, from the initial pitch to NASA after a number of earlier failed attempts that never got past the initial stage, to launching and getting results and what the future holds for the project. We've got a lot to look forward to, and what we've seen so far is only the beginning. There will be a lot more info coming along in the coming months.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Here are some more photos.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 02:27 PM
Veteran

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koenig View Post
I've been following NASA's deep space exploration programs ... Voyager I and II ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Nova on PBS had an excellent programme on the New Horizons mission ...
There is a PBS Nova episode tonight (Wed., Aug. 23) about Voyager 1 and 2.
http://www.pbs.org/the-farthest/home/
http://www.space.com/37915-voyager-t...ntary-pbs.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hA1cs39q0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.