Pet Peeve - English grammar. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Pet Peeve - English grammar.

OK, I see it in forum threads all over, including this one.

1. Then - than. These two words are NOT interchangeable.
For example: This TV is bigger than that one. If this TV is cheaper, then I would buy this one.

2. Two - too - to. These words are also tossed all over like a drunk on a sinking Italian cruise ship. (too soon?)
For example: I would go to the store, but I am too tired. Also, I only have two dollars.

Please be careful with the primary language of this forum. It prevents confusion when reading the posts. Do not count on spell checkers, they only correct the spelling of the single word, not how it is being used to make a sentence.

If, once you've posted, you see that you've made a mistake, you can go back and edit the post. I know that we live in a world of instant messaging, where acronyms are used in place of full words. But in forums, you can take the time to write in your posts.

Please feel free to use punctuation or else sentences would tend to run on forever causing even more confusion and losing the opportunity to convey an important message and making the reader lose a key point that you are trying to make. (Yes, this last paragraph is missing punctuations, on purpose.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 09:49 PM

Don't youse get me started.

I'm usually pretty anal about that kind of thing but find that I often miss some because the spell checker isn't a very good grammar/homonym checker.

Android rocks!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 09:58 PM

Make sure you read this post first to avoid further (not farther) duplication.

Grammar Pet Peeves
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 10:17 PM

Guy's don't forget that English is not the only thing on earth, I know I have bad grammar but I ussaly get my self understood.

I'm french I'm not saying I write good in french because I don't, but lots here are french or other so maybe why are Grammar is not the best.

writing skills are not my forte but I'm a great auto mechanic
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 10:30 PM
Cap

alls i want is my too front teeth.

50PX75U, (rogers') 8300HDPVR, 42PD50, Macbook Pro
Imac 3.2ghz, Apple TV2, Iphone4, Time Capsule, VOIP Line,
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 10:32 PM

Bad grammar, poor spelling, run on sentences and the lack of use of paragraphs make posts hard to read. In fact the web is so full of poor spelling I am starting to find myself doing a double-take on words that are spelled right.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 10:48 PM
Veteran

Ralph Wiggum Fails English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSD9lPVY6Q
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 11:10 PM

quote: the lack of use of paragraphs . Hugh once chewed me out in his way for posting a long, long message. He suggested (rightly) that I should break the message down into more readable paragraphs.

I remember that advice every time now. Thanks Hugh. sailmaker
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 09:07 AM
Veteran

This also bugs me to no end. There are too many bad posts with run on sentences and bad grammar. There are some posts so bad that I have to read them 2 or 3 times, and sometimes I just give up trying to understand them.

I tend to make my own mistakes in this regards. But I do spend time on my posts to make sure there are no spelling mistakes and minimal grammar errors. Got to love spell check in the browsers now.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 09:15 AM
DHC Supporter

Sometimes, its so bad I think I'll prolly loose my mind! One day, I definately will.

(I would of wrote this earlier, but I was to busy.)
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 12:58 PM

"Standardized spelling enables readers to understand writing, to aid communication and ensure clarity. Period."

This quote is from a current "Wired" article, titled "Proper Spelling? Its Tyme to Let Luce!" You can read it here: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/0...y_autocorrect/

I really don't agree with the author, because I see a drop in overall productivity, both personal and work related, when meanings aren't straightforward. One of the best pieces of advise my father ever gave me was to forget about a flowery vocabulary when you're trying to get a point across, do it as simply and as concisely as possible, and for God's sake, use proper spelling and punctuation!

A couple of years ago, when my son was in grade 4 or 5, struggling with punctuation in his writing at school and complaining that it really didn't matter, I pulled up a post from another forum I frequent. It was one with no capitals and no punctuation that was very difficult to read or take meaning from. A quick edit showed him how much easier it was to read.

Bottom line....if you have something to say and want people to read it and take you seriously, put a bit of effort into making your thoughts understood. Sometimes that can be as easy as rereading your post after it has been posted and edit, if necessary.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Sometimes, its so bad I think I'll prolly loose my mind! One day, I definately will.

(I would of wrote this earlier, but I was to busy.)
The sad thing is, many people will read your post and think there's nothing wrong with it.

http://thegrammarnazi.tumblr.com/pos...-clubbing-baby

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 04:21 PM
Veteran

There.
Their.
They're not the same.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 05:00 PM

I'm always amazed at how many mistakes I see online and even in print. Spelling and grammar have never been my close friends, so I'm hardly one to criticize, but how hard is it just to look something up if you're not sure? (I almost wrote "to just look it up"...split infinitive )

I use this site all the time.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 05:15 PM

How many people read the title and felt like posting something like "I is smurt"?

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.