Gateway => mg5225g system - Still worth installing? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Cool Gateway => mg5225g system - Still worth installing?

Hi Gents,

I stumbled across what looks like a decent Arris Gateway mg5225g system with the PVR unit and two portals. The lady who owned it moved to Telus, and simply gave it away. She said it worked perfectly, but Shaw wouldn't take it back, and she couldn't bear to scrap it; so she posted it on Craigslist. She left it outside in a box as she would be at work, so I dropped off some flowers to show my gratitude.

I've got a couple of DCX3400-M units that operate fairly well (they miss the odd recording from time to time so aren't 100% reliable) as well as two ancient DCT6200 generation boxes (one's the PVR version). Of course the latter doesn't give us all the HD channels we pay for (I almost never watch anything that's not HD, and my Misses is getting close to that too), so I was thinking of using the Gateway system to replace the old boxes. I'm a bit geeky and installing these would be simple enough but Shaw, of course, insists they send a Tech to install and charge me $100. So I've got an appointment for May 12th to get it done.

I had a discussion with Shaw Tech support and there is no issue having this on the same system as the DCX3400s as they put in MoCA Filters which separate the communications between boxes. So the questions are, how reliable is the Arris Gateway mg5225g system, is it worthwhile for me to pay $100 for the install, and where can I find a manual or procedure to replace the 500 Gig Hard Drive. I assume there is a way to have the remote control a TV (On /Off & Volume). Or am I all wet here?

If you have any tips or suggestions please post them. Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-04-25 at 02:00 PM. Reason: moved to Shaw Gateway sub-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 01:47 PM

The Gateway system is still a viable option for recording/viewing Shaw broadcasting. It has a few glitches but has the basics plus a few things your 3400 doesn't have. It will co-exist just fine with the 3400 as well. Shaw has moved on to its new system so there won't be much in the way of future updates for the Gateway but that has already been the case for quite a while now. The portal remotes can certainly be set up to power on/off and change volume for most tvs. If you don't have the manuals, look them up on the Shaw website for tv codes and setup instructions. There is also lots of information on varies Gateway topics located here:

Shaw Gateway - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

If you are looking to replace the hard drive to get more recording space, the easier option is to get an expander for the system. I don't think Shaw sells them anymore but many people have purchased their own drive plus enclosures that work successfully. There are details on the enclosures that have worked here:

Shaw Gateway: Adding External Drives

The part that confused me was the $100 fee Shaw wants to charge you. I have not heard of this install fee and certainly didn't pay to have mine installed although that was a while back. I would be questioning that charge. I thought their high monthly prices included service.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 03:51 PM

Make sure that the original owner had released them from her account or you won't be able to activate them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-04-26, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions gents. Shaw actually asked me to get the lady to contact them, but after agreeing with me that she'd be on hold for 25 minutes before speaking to them, Shaw put me on hold for 2 minutes and contacted her to release them; before scheduling the install appointment.

I'll check out those links. Shaw said the $100 was because I didn't buy the hardware from them nor sign a multiyear contract.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jimsathome; 2017-04-26 at 02:06 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-04-26, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

I've done some searching tonight, but haven't found an answer. Has anyone upgraded the internal drive? I did it on a couple of the DCT PVRs and it has worked great. I wouldn't mind skipping the external drive scenario again and just plugging in something big inside. Has anyone done that, or know of any limitations?

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,
Jim
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-05-13, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

The Shaw Rep came and installed the gear. It was pretty routine. I really liked a handheld device he had that communicates with their system (central office?) and give them direct read outs of everything on the system. Pretty Slick. The old days of connecting meters are gone. The Shaw Rep wiped off the old recordings so we could start fresh. He said he'd never heard of Shaw charging for any type of install.

However, after dinner when I was checking it out; I had earlier put it to record 2 shows on Velocity (I'm a junkie for that channel it seems) and it said it had; but when I tired them it just hung up. I also saw a bunch of HBO shows that were supposedly wiped off. I then selected Velocity (Channel 242) and got an error message to call Shaw if I wanted to subscribe to this channel. I did so and spent the next hour re-setting everything a couple of times. This Rep said it was because of something they failed to do at his end when the first Rep finished up. They seemed to be having trouble communicating with the Hard Drive.

Eventually he got it to work, and all I was left to do was manually remove the old HBO shows. I may go try the Apple App just for grins.

Regards,
Jim
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Just an update. Everything has works great, and even my Misses is a happy Camper. I'm now debating trying to find a couple more Portals of this vintage, and retire two DCX-3400s. I know we'd have to install a separate expansion hard drive; or maybe I could modify the Arris Gateway mg5225g box and install a 3 TB drive.

I'll have to check that out.

Regards,
Jim
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 02:54 PM

Bought a MP2150A at Value Village:$8.99 last month.
Checked serial number with SHAW.
Works fine.
This week, another available $5.99.
Some Craigslist prices are good, some bad, but worth watching.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Value Village tip.

I never would have though of that.

P.S. I found a vendor on line in Vancouver who says he will sell me a pre-formatted Hard Drive (Up to 6 TB) that will work in an Arris Gateway mg5225g system.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jimsathome; 2017-08-22 at 12:48 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-08-22, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Went to Value Village in Coquitlam. No Joy there.

Regards,
Jim
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-09-16, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapattack View Post
Bought a MP2150A at Value Village:$8.99 last month.
Checked serial number with SHAW.
Works fine.
This week, another available $5.99.
Some Craigslist prices are good, some bad, but worth watching.
Which Vancouver location has the MP2150A?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Jim
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-09-16, 02:34 PM

"had" for Thrift Shop items.
Scavengers sometimes grab expensive items just for parts without realizing its value.
Victoria Drive at 49 has had at least two, but worth doing the circuit (I'm retired!):
Queensborough, 2(3?) Coquitlam stores, Hastings, and Richmond.
Saw another original style PVR unit at Salvation Army North Van Lonsdale for $10.
I paid $50 for mine at SA Granville a year ago.
Frequent checks only way to find them.
Also, phone SHAW to see if it is legal before buying, as only exchanges allowed.
Tech support can advise you of status in about 10 minutes.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-09-16, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I again tried the Coquitlam Barnet Hwy Store and no joy. I'll have to make a circuit sometime, as I'm not yet retired =>unless I won last night's Loto Max!

Regards,
Jim
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-09-17, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Gents,

I know you can use a Shaw Arris MP2000NA Portal on a Arris Gateway mg5225g box. Is the Shaw Arris MP2000NA box better or worse than a MP2150A Portal? Other than the IR Tethering and a touch screen front on the MP2150A?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Jim
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-09-20, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapattack View Post
"had" for Thrift Shop items.
Scavengers sometimes grab expensive items just for parts without realizing its value.
Victoria Drive at 49 has had at least two, but worth doing the circuit (I'm retired!):
Queensborough, 2(3?) Coquitlam stores, Hastings, and Richmond.
Saw another original style PVR unit at Salvation Army North Van Lonsdale for $10.
I paid $50 for mine at SA Granville a year ago.
Frequent checks only way to find them.
Also, phone SHAW to see if it is legal before buying, as only exchanges allowed.
Tech support can advise you of status in about 10 minutes.
Zapattack,

I checked the Burquitlam Value Village & the Coquitlam store again but still no joy. Perhaps you would be so kind as to PM me if you come across a couple of MP2150A Portals in your travels?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.