Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Gateway - Would you buy it again?

20K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  -Jim- 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

My wife, after 30 years of "no TV in the Bedroom" made the pronouncement a few days ago that she wants one there as she is constantly falling asleep in front of the TV at night, but when she finally gets it together and goes to upstairs to bed she's got a "crick" in her neck and then can't sleep. She also said we should go and get a Gateway system (again after years of not wanting to change from our two Motorola DCX3400 PVRs. Those units are far from perfect, as she'd record the same Soap on both daily just to ensure she'd have one to watch when she gets home from work. You'd be amazed how many times one of them fails to record).

Anyway, I remember there was substantial teething pain when Gateway was first unveiled, but it seems to have died off (or maybe I'm just not listening closely enough...). So I guess the question is: Would you buy it again?

In addition to the Motorola DCX3400 PVRs (both connected to 55" LED TVs, we have an older DCT-6200 connected to a 32" Phillips CRT in the basement which is rarely used but the Guide doesn't work anymore.) I'm certain she'd like the full Gateway PVR capability on all but the basement TV (she never goes there so my son & I have our own messy haven). I was wondering if I could go to Portals plus use one of the DCX3400s for the basement TV?

(I know Telus has a similar system but wireless. My Mom's got it for the 3 TVs in her condo, but my wife wants to stay with Shaw Cable as our internet / email is with them and she doesn't want to change.)

One last thing, I see quite a few Gateway systems on Craigslist at decent prices. Are the different generations of it? Are there models to avoid? By the way, I'm an electrician with Technician level training some years ago and still quite geeky. (I build /repair PC for friends and family as a hobby). So connecting / configuring Boxes like this shouldn't be too much of a headache (I hope!)

Your comments will be appreciated. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
After switched to Telus for 1 years, I finally sold my Gateway + 2 portals. I will not switch back to Shaw because of Optik Internet. The Optik TV system, IMHO, is not as good as ARRIS Gateway system. If you need 6 tuners, stay with Gateway. If you need more than 500GB storage, stay with Gateway. Optik PVR does not allow external hard drive.

Before switching to Telus, I parked my Shaw email address at my sister's account and gradually switched all my emails to a gmail account as I was planning to switch back and forth between Shaw and Telus. But, I am staying with Telus internet and cut the Optik TV when every family members know how to use the Kodi box.

#3 ·
I just recently cut the cord to my Gateway but did love it when I first got it. (Bought 4 years ago, after the teething pains in the beginning.) I'm going put my hatred for Shaw's continual price increases on the back burner for this post...

"So I guess the question is: Would you buy it again?"

That's a loaded question.

Knowing Shaw is looking to move to Comcast's X1-xfinity, I don't think I would at this stage. If that was not the case, yes I would, hands down! Of the Shaw hardware, my opinion is the Gateway is king!

It has issues, but so does all Shaw hardware. It's still, in my opinion, the bet of the bunch. Especially if you are a "TV junkie" and run into conflict errors with 2 tuner boxes.

I don't know what Shaws plans are but I suspect they will continue to support the 3510/Gateway for some time to come even with the above news.

"I was wondering if I could go to Portals plus use one of the DCX3400s for the basement TV?"

Yup, they can do that. The Gateway system uses a MOCA network and they will separate it from the rest of the network allowing you to do what you wish here.

"Are the different generations of it?"

Arris has a newer Gateway series 6 but Shaw probably wont be getting those. (Due to X1. Just my assumption at this point though.) The Series 5, to my knowledge are all the same.

As to Portals try and find one with the MP2150 vs the MP2000. It's the newer box. It allows you to hide it and use the IR tether to control it. (Make sure it's included if purchasing used and you want it!) The MP2000 does not do this.

Also make sure the Gateway has been removed from their account/is not stolen. (Ask for the serial number then contact Shaw.)

P.S.

TechGuy8's reply covered some good points. The Gateway is capable of utilizing 6TB of external HDD space. Again, great for a "TV junkie" or those who like to collect complete series. (I liked to have the entire series of both The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones on mine for example.)

#9 ·
Knowing Shaw is looking to move to Comcast's X1-xfinity, I don't think I would at this stage. If that was not the case, yes I would, hands down! Of the Shaw hardware, my opinion is the Gateway is king!
But there's no timeline on the X1 is there? It could be years away. And if a new sub just rented (not rent to own/lease) the equipment then could they switch when the time comes or are they locked into 24 months of renting the same equipment?

#4 ·
For what its worth, I've had a Gateway in our house for about 3 weeks now. Previously I had a 3400, a 6200, and a couple DCT700's.

I moved the 3400 to the loft and have a portal on the main living room TV and our bedroom TV.

I've added a 1TB expander to the Gateway.

The 3400 required constant babysitting to keep it running. It suffered from lockups and disconnects from its expander all the time.

So far, touch wood, we have had none of those issues with the Gateway.

With me and 3 girls in the house, I'm really loving the 6 tuners...that way I can watch my sports without having to juggle a bunch of other programs.

#5 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the prompt responses. Sounds like Gateway is a decent option so far. I've read some posts that say "Shaw doesn't allow self-installs of Gateway systems". Is that still true?

Although I still don't have a good handle on how it's installed, based on the rear connections it looks like RG6 Cable with F connectors and /or Ethernet LAN. I see some posts on WiFi but that's not how I think the signals are transmitted from the main box to the portals. (I assume RF via the Cable, probably multiplexed into a different frequency range to avoid crosstalk.) If you know of a Post which describes the install please advise. I'm thinking I'd like to save a dollar or two and buy a lightly used system and install it myself.

Is that feasible?

Thanks for the assist.

#6 ·
The Gateway system uses a MOCA network. It uses MOCA filter to separate non-Gateway boxes.

I had read one post that someone purchased an used Gateway system with the MOCA filters and SHaw spliters. Shaw let him to install the Gateway system.

Shaw does not charge installation. Why do it yourself? I like to pick the installer knowledge during installation.

I asked the installer to install MCX3400 in parallel with the Gateway portals as backup in case Gateway has a problem. That was 3 years ago.

#7 ·
Last time I approached a Shaw rep on their forums about this I was told it's how it is to be done but with your background it's hard to say. They may make an exception.

It's really not hard if you have the hardware. I'm no electrician, just technically minded and I could breeze through the install. I just wouldn't have access to the device the tech does to check signals and all that. You may have access to something like that.

Worth asking though.

#8 ·
Gents,

If there is no install cost - even for used equipment - then no worries here. I'd be happy to watch over their shoulder and learn something new. Their metering is quite expensive and I don't have it in hand.

I just can't stand what the Shaw installers did one time years ago when we were having trouble (turned out to be a bad splitter). They ran surface home runs around my house on the outside of the vinyl siding and then drilled into the rooms where we had TVs. My mistake was I let them do their own thing outside without watching over them. I'd have a few harsh words for them this time if they ever attempted anything so gauche. Every time I see these cables outside my blood starts to boil.

#10 ·
True enough.

I have to admit I'm a little jaded and "once bitten twice shy" and all that. I'm just a little leery about "selling" the Gateway whole hog. I did praise it's qualities should anyone want to consider the hardware. It truly is the best between Shaw and Telus offerings. In my opinion of course.

#12 ·
Gents,

I'm not big on being an early adopter of Shaw's equipment as I don't want to deal with any issues if possible. (My wife & I will easily swap reliability for some exotic functionality. Shaw's track record with new equipment is poor at best, but probably the industry norm. (Yes they all suck.) I was involved at the beginning of Shaw Direct's HD-630 PVR, and according to some, it's still a nightmare if you use an extender. Heck even the DCX-3400 is still Flakey.

Comcast's new Cloud based system "X1 gives users an incredible array of options to connect in ways you may never have imagined. Through X1, your TV is connected to your tablet, your smartphone is connected to your recorded shows and your DVR is connected to your daily calendar. And access to your favorite shows, movies and content is available across more devices and platforms. You can now set up a series recording through your smartphone, sync your personal calendar with your DVR’d programs, get recommendations for programming you’ll want to watch On Demand — and the list goes on." Sorry we'll settle for a PVR system that records what's set to record in advance every time! I hope Gateway can now do that.

I'd forgotten I'll have to change my current Cable / Internet package. Do you know how long until Shaw (and all the rest) have to let us pick and choose individual channels after a small ($25/month?) core group is purchased? For me I don't really want any SD channels anymore but my wife may still want to have the odd one she can't get on HD.

I guess I'll go check out Gateway + Internet packages.

#13 ·
"Do you know how long until Shaw (and all the rest) have to let us pick and choose individual channels after a small ($25/month?) core group is purchased?"

December 2016.

The Gateway for the most part does record series quite reliably for most but some still have issues. As long as the guide data is up to date and not just a generic description. Then you will get repeat recordings. I personally can only recall 1 issue as to missing a new episode.

One of the annoyances that lead to me cancelling TV service (Repeated short succession price increases being the main.) was Portal disconnects. I swapped out my MP2000 for an MP2150 and thought it was fixed but a few days before cancelling it happened again. Shaw strung the wires and supplied the splitters and they where tested a few times over the years. I don't know if it was a signal thing or a hardware thing but I wont know now.

Yeah I didn't watch any SD myself. Well, except CBCNN back in the beginning as it had no HD variant but it does now. I ranted and raved about it on their forums several times.

#14 ·
If you like the guide on the 3400...I would be careful. I still use the 3400 on our "main viewing" tv because my wife, (and I for that matter) hates the interface on the gateway. It works, but frustrating. Many more button presses to do everything. The biggest annoyance is that the PVR options do not allow you to sort by program and date...example: if you set up to record The Simpsons on all channels, it will give you a separate folder entry for every channel it recorded it on. Also, if you sort by date recorded, it takes away the folder grouping and just leaves you with a big mess of recordings. The 3400 interface is better because if you sort by date, it will leave the folders intact and also group all recordings of the same program regardless of the channel it was recorded on.

Whoever designed this interface has no clue. I hate it...

The only pluses for me...record 6 things at once and the analog tuner is as good as the 3400 (3510 analog tuner is terrible btw)

#15 ·
I would agree the UI is in need of work but it's been complained about, a lot, and I'll hazard a guess there may be some improvements in the upcoming firmware update (No date given.) or down the road. Who wants to wait til down the road though after all this time. Not that I'll be getting it. I am still quite curious as to what it will bring.

Shaw does seem to like to make things more complicated than need be. Not just hardware UI's. Look at their recent forum update...design changes that make it harder to navigate rather easier/user friendly. I really don't get how this stuff gets past "quality control" or whatever it is before going live.

#20 ·
Thats bizarre Mike S, was it part of some deal? did you buy the gateway? I've never been charged for install by shaw, and in fact am just moving my services and wasn't charged any install for the new house.

Also setting up a commercial account with Shaw and there was no install charge there with 2 services.

#22 ·
No deal. It was a used gateway and two portals. I traded a 3400 for another portal. Looking at the shaw website It says at the bottom under legal that "online orders and/or orders involving a 24-month service agreement are eligible for free installation otherwise installation fees may apply, not to exceed 29.95".

#23 ·
Gotta say, I'd probably go Gateway again - right now there's just nothing equivalent, at least not in my area. Besides philosophical reasons for not wanting to deal with Telus, and the fact that Shaw has been very good to us from the very beginning (since they took over BC from Rogers), from what I've seen of Telus's Optik system, it just doesn't compete.

Biggest issue I've run into (in clients' homes) with Telus's wireless setup is that the TV boxes use the same wireless router as your internet, and needing to reboot or reset that (because, say, someone forgot what their kid changed the admin password to), or unplug it to rearrange a dozen power cords and wall warts crammed behind the desk, means everyone in the house loses TV and any in-progress recordings are interrupted.

I don't think I could live with the inability to add storage space either, considering all the home reno shows and Criminal Minds reruns the wife records and then never watches...

#24 ·
I've not actually bought a Gateway, but I thoroughly considered it, for my needs it would be the only acceptable box Shaw offers. But it's not good enough and I've held off buying for quite some time. Looking over the track record, I'm sure glad I did. I certainly wouldn't buy it now or in the future.

#25 ·
I am not a big fan of Shaw but I do enjoy their Gateway. I do not like the guide on the Gateway and still used my Motorola box to plan my TV weeks out especially in September and October with all the new show starting.

The Gateway is not good for recording Eastern and Western feeds of the same show. I get messages about a duplicate request and often neither episode records or I only get the Eastern feed with the Western feed being considered a duplicate even though it is being recorded on another channel. (L like being able to watch the Eastern feeds early but sometimes those storm warnings make the show unwatchable and live sports events often result in the Eastern feed starting late which results in the show being cutoff before the end so I often record some of the Eastern feeds on the Motorola and the Western feeds on the Gateway.)

I really like the 6 TB expander on the Gateway.

#27 ·
Gateway and portals all the way!!! I had a couple of portal disconnects a long time ago. But solid service now and totally reliable recordings both east and west dups. Of course I just dumped the timeshift to save $ because the service has been so reliable and the Eastern storm warnings were a pain.
We only have Shaw direct and Shaw cable as choices so no brainer. Bell sat is not LOS and Telus isn't here for TV and according to a tech will "never" be.
I have a spare 3400 left that I never look at. Of course now that I've said it this will all change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.