Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TV has to warm up before portal will respond

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I haven't been around for a while, but I have a problem that maybe someone can solve?

Portal A was hooked up to TV A in my living room. TV A is a 47" LCD using HDMI to connect.

We purchased a new TV, a 55" LED, we'll call it TV B. It became the new living room TV.

TV A was moved to the bedroom, hooked up to portal B, and Remote A was moved with it because it was already programmed for that TV.

It behaves weirdly. When you turn the TV on, the portal will not respond to the remote or the buttons on it for about 20 minutes. The wife now turns on the TV half an hour before bed so she can let it "warm up".

As we tried to figure out what was going on and what the full symptoms were, we tried all the following with no fixes:
  • swapped remotes
  • swapped portals
  • swapped HDMI cables
  • tried a new HDMI cable
  • tried every HDMI port on the TV

At first I thought perhaps portal B's HDMI was defective, but we never knew because until then it was connected to an old SD tube TV via composite cables. But the combo of TV A, Portal A, Remote A and HDMI cable A that worked together just fine in the living room is not working in the bedroom.

With my limited knowledge about HDMI, it seems like it's an extremely long handshake occurring?

The only thing left that I can think of is the coax cabling; but I don't see how it could be causing this issue. Everything works fine after it is "warmed up".

Does anyone have any opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
By the way, I haven't troubleshoot with Shaw yet due to a lack of time. Once the TV/portal is "warmed up", it is good for the evening; even if you turn the TV off (so maybe it's not a handshake issue?). And very occasionally it works without warming up. So testing a single change takes several days.

#5 ·
Is it possible you are using a different hdmi port on tv A (assuming the tv has multiple hdmi ports) than you were using before and that port may be defective?

Was there a receiver involved when tv a was set up in the living room? If so, perhaps the receiver was handing the dolby digital through hdmi but in the bedroom, without a receiver, tv a is not handling the dolby digital audio through hdmi very well.

If you have component cables you could try that to see if the problem is specific to the hdmi connection.

Just in case, I would try the portal A, tv A, and hdmi A combination again back in the living room to make sure that combination it still working in case physically moving the equipment has caused some problem to appear.

#6 ·
Is it possible you are using a different hdmi port on tv A (assuming the tv has multiple hdmi ports) than you were using before and that port may be defective?
Forgot to add that I had tried all three HDMI ports, I updated the first post.

Was there a receiver involved when tv a was set up in the living room?
No

If you have component cables you could try that to see if the problem is specific to the hdmi connection.
I can give that a try, it will take a couple of days to get results.

Just in case, I would try the portal A, tv A, and hdmi A combination again back in the living room to make sure that combination it still working in case physically moving the equipment has caused some problem to appear.
TV A is now mounted on the wall 1" from the ceiling and would need a friend to help me take it down and put it back up.

#7 ·
I realize this thread was from the summer but did you ever get the problem figured out?

It sounds like a backlight issue with the TV. There's probably a more reflective surface in your bedroom that is bouncing IR back to the Portal's IR eye and blocking the remote signals. Try turning the backlight setting down or off and see if that makes a difference, if you haven't already solved the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.