CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.1b.17 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 11:55 AM

Seeing that there is an official Shaw rep reading this forum (shawsean), can we get an official statement on what this "update" actually provides to us with bug fixes/new features? Virtually all other software producers maintain a version changelog, and this should be no different. I suspect many months have past here leading up to this update, and in the end not much was actually acomplished here, why is up to us to figure out what was supposedly fixed or improved, instead of just be more open and letting all of us know exactly what's going on here?

BTW: Hey Shaw - still waiting on DLNA, web-based, Android and iPhone apps for remote administration, how is progress in these areas coming along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 11:57 AM
Rookie

I have the exact same thing with the portals. 2 display properly on each, but the 3rd does not.

Also I had to manually trigger the update on 2 of the 3 portals, only the gateway and my main TV portal updated themselves. I gave it 48 hours after the auto update before pressing the update button in the installer settings.
post #78 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Virtually all other software producers maintain a version changelog, and this should be no different.
I absolutely agree. I am one who likes to go through those logs to. I am quite annoyed with the lack of this option, and I have already stated such to a manager a few weeks back.

It's just poor business practice to keep your paying customers in the dark in my opinion. {edit:} Especially when one pays in the hundreds of dollars for this hardware!
post #79 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 01:30 PM

To add insult to injury here, i can buy a .99 cent app, or subscribe to a $2.00 service online and they all have changelogs. Here's a multi-million dollar company treating their customer so poorly by lack of open communication. Truly it is an aweful thing that could be said about both Telus and Shaw equally, and probably others as well. Seems like this could be a good opportunity for Shaw to take a lead in the industry and provide better information to their users. Could be a great way to gain more loyalty amongst users.

If there is any concern about privacy or whatever for competition reasons, why not make use of the Messages option in the gateway and broadcast the changelog there? Do something creative and keep us informed.
post #80 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 01:32 PM
Veteran

My Gateway has updated, and one of my two Portals. Unfortunately I've rebooted the Gateway a few times today because channels weren't available (231 - HGTV, my wife's favorite). Not sure why that is.
post #81 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Seeing that there is an official Shaw rep reading this forum (shawsean), can we get an official statement on what this "update" actually provides to us with bug fixes/new features?
I seem to recall with previous updates Shaw Champ posted a detailed list of changes. Haven't seen him on the forums for a while though.
post #82 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 02:33 PM

Though I appreciate the forum updates, Shaw customers should not have to go to a 3rd party site to see these things.

Again, bad business as I see it.
post #83 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 02:39 PM

^Thats true. Though most people who aren't on these forums probably wouldn't even know (or care) that there was an update.
post #84 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 02:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuy View Post
I absolutely agree. I am one who likes to go through those logs to. I am quite annoyed with the lack of this option, and I have already stated such to a manager a few weeks back.

It's just poor business practice to keep your paying customers in the dark in my opinion. {edit:} Especially when one pays in the hundreds of dollars for this hardware!
But it is only poor business practice when you are worse than your competition. In this case, Shaw doesn't care if it is better than Telus or Bell, it just doesn't want to be worse. Poor service obviously isn't cutting too big into their business, we all bought the gear and we are much better informed than the regular consumer who doesn't read items on this forum.
post #85 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
My Gateway has updated, and one of my two Portals. Unfortunately I've rebooted the Gateway a few times today because channels weren't available (231 - HGTV, my wife's favorite). Not sure why that is.
Try going into the dashboard and updating the EPG of the Gateway. I was missing all channels 405+ and doing that fixed everything.
post #86 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 2x Harmony One
The 'change list' that I provided in Post #18 is likely the best you are going to get as Shaw has been 'burned' with these lists in the past. When an item is listed as 'fixed' in a code release and it turns out it actually isn't fixed, that is seen as a failure and/or liability to Shaw. Therefore, they are better off just saying, "A new software package is being sent out this week and that should solve some of the more common problems."

It's a sad excuse for them to have to do this but they have never been big on telling anyone what they are doing or when so, really, why would they change now? I would be much happier knowing as much as I can, sooner than later too, but this seems to be the last thing Shaw cares about since it doesn't improve their bottom line but only stands to hurt it so they just don't do it. The recent exceptions seem to have been a 'test' and now we are back to the 'silent treatment' again.

Hopefully someone at Shaw will see everyone's comments here and take a different view but I wouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #87 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 06:29 PM

What are the best key delay settings for the Harmony remote when used with the Gateway? The button presses are quite a bit delayed for me compared to the factory Gateway remote.

Is there a way to improve this?
post #88 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 07:47 PM

I have no audio today thru hdmi, but i do thru audio cables to a receiver. Is this something new to anyone else as well? I power cycled a couple times to no avail. Is it possible for the hdmi to lose audio capability but not video. My equipment updated back on the 24th or so and just now this is happening and i wonder if its related or if i am just now experiencing an issue i didnt before that some others are.
post #89 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 2x Harmony One
Is your TV a Toshiba or Panasonic? If so then yes, it is a known issue. I'm not sure what can be done about it but there is a fix coming for it but that won't be until the next update.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #90 of 421 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 08:49 PM

Is your TV a Toshiba or Panasonic?
no its a samsung- tried another power cycle and now everythings hunky dory(sp?) thx for the response.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.