Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #286 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-14, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 2x Harmony One
I know they are trying to 'pre-provision' the boxes before installation in an effort to reduce install times and even possibly have a self-install option. Perhaps that is what happened in your case. That or there do seem to be a wide range of 'experiences' with how these units operate at any given location so it really could be hard to say.

Keep the reports coming though as we might be able to see a pattern emerge eventually.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 11:52 AM

I'm sure I read this somewhere before but just did a search on Splitters and can't find the info. Can someone assist.

I have Shaw coming out to fix a Gateway installation issue. Think I have that fixed myself but we'll see.

While the tech is out, should I ask them to replace my splitters? Not sure if the existing ones were installed by me or Shaw a few years ago. They only are rated up to 1GHz.
We probably need to update the splitter/coax routing anyway.
post #288 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 12:05 PM

My gateway installer replaced my 1 year old splitter with the same make/model splitter without asking. The splitter is not expensive when compared to a service call.
post #289 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 12:27 PM

Do you know if the splitter needs to be rated to > 1 GHz?
post #290 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 12:48 PM

no need for greater than 1Gz...the MoCa filter is a 1Ghz low pass filter (blocks everything above 1Ghz)
So that would imply that everything inside the MoCa network will be running under the 1Ghz frequency..
post #291 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 12:58 PM

The both splitters are rated between 5Mhz - 1GHz.

He replaced my 1-to-4 splitter with an 1-to-3 splitter. This splitter has two 7db outputs for my internet modem and the phone modem. The remaining 3db output is connected, thought a MoCA filter, to an 1-to-2 splitter. This gateway splitter has 3db input and outputs.

I don't know why the gateway circuit uses 3db splitter and not 7db.
post #292 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 01:22 PM

Those markings indicate losses from the input, so(in your case) the gateway is getting a bit higher signal.
post #293 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 02:56 PM

Install - Where?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I could not find it. Where exactly does Shaw install the Gateway? I thought i read something before about it being in a mechanical room? I don't have that in my townhouse. If it needs to be near the Shaw access box, then that is in my garage. But it's freezing cold there now, or very hot in the summer.

I think i am confused. Someone please explain to me where it gets installed.

Thanks!
post #294 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 03:01 PM

The gateway can be installed anywhere in your home. You are right, hot and cold is not good for the hard drive.
post #295 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
@Jetranger

I just picked up a Harmony 300, a cheaper device-centric Harmony closer to the old Atlas remotes. I am wondering if you continued to use the Moxi MR-1500T3 as the foundation for your codes when you created the PDF linked below, or if you received an update from Arris or Logitech on this? I couldn't find anything additional about this in my search.

I've got an older Harmony 880, but it was way too confusing for my family to use. I'm hoping that this 300 is simple enough for them, and for $25 it's worth the experiment...

Proof of research

CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Original code iS1

Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion
Quick question...I have a Gateway install scheduled for this weekend and I'm in the process of updating my Harmony One but when I pick the Shaw MP2000 device, I don't see the "Zoom" command available in the command drop down list. Is the Zoom command something that must be learned from the Moxi Portal remote or did you guys have it available on your drop down? Thanks...
post #296 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 05:35 PM

I would recommend placing the Gateway close to your cable modem if possible if you plan on making use of DLNA when that's enabled.

I'm not sure how this will work, but you'll either need to link them up or maybe even use the Gateway's built-in cable modem in place of your existing one.
post #297 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Modems are always tough to deal with.
post #298 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 06:32 PM

The "exit" button on the Harmony will behave the same as the zoom button on the Shaw portal remote with that MP2000 configuration.
post #299 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 2x Harmony One
The Gateway modem will not be activated, from what I understand, so you will still require a separate unit as we have now.

As GWNorth states, the 'Exit' button should be mapped to the 'Zoom' function on the Shaw remote. I just tested it on my Harmony that I set up with that same code load and it is this way.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #300 of 453 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 09:39 PM

OK, thanks for the info. I'll just go with the default MP2000 load for now then tweak as I familiarize myself with Gateway/Portal interface functionality. U/G to BB50 and Gateway with 5 portals scheduled for Sunday...wish me luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.