Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA NETWORK Status: TVOntario

138K views 512 replies 111 participants last post by  tmp31416 
#1 ·
This thread carries on from the previous TVOntario & TFO DTV Transition Status thread, which is now closed.

EDIT: Updated thread title to remove "TFO", as this network is no longer carried over-the-air, and no longer is associated to TVO.

#3 ·
TVO still has some issues in data stream

Paris transmitter 28-1 TVO RF28 continues to be plagued by data stream issues. Two of my three televisions can pull it in with lots of signal while one television cannot decode picture but has 86% signal strength.

Then there is the London transmitter which takes some time to decode (5 seconds) on some sets but does not want to decide if it will be on 18-1 TVO RF18 or start @ 18-2 then remap to 18-1.
:mad:

#5 ·
Whatever was done to CICO-32 Windsor today made it work again on the converter box instead of getting a "No Program" message, likely related to the DC-II they had been sending. Actually get a tad nervous when they start tweaking the PSIP/data stream again, it seems to finally decode on one tuner box/TV but then break on another when it worked fine before hand.

Other than that though, starting to wonder if they will ever have a 1080i signal at all down here...100% 480i since day one.

#7 ·
Pre1ude, yes, the Toronto transmitter (and all TVO post-transition transmitters) are at their correct allocated ERP.

#10 ·
One of my Panasonic Viera televisions still cannot decode 28-1 TVO RF28 Paris. There is plenty of signal 80% but no video, nor audio.Then over on channel 18-1 TVO RF18 London it maps 18-2 then back to 18-1. Also the channel audio lags the picture when first changing to 18-1.
There you go technicians, if you follow the forum, get er fixed.:mad:

#11 ·
18.1 mapping

TVO is no trouble mapping 18.1 on our either our Sony or Dynex tvs. However, their guide data has been long gone and both of the above tvs map in a subchannel of 18.65535. 65535..Reminiscent of my machine language days...but I digress.

28 has a different but equally rediculous subchannel number.

#12 ·
no virtual channel number.

This morning my tv won't decode tvo london at all. If I bring up the signal meter I get snr 31 and 97 % but the virtual channel box stays blank. If I force it by manually punching in channel 18-1, I get a blank channel with no info. The same thing happened last weekend, friday and half of saturday and then it worked fine after that. Luckily 28-1 works fine so I still have tvo. I am using a 4 year old Toshiba LCD. I haven't had any issues with any of the other digital channels, even 51-1 has been fine. Very strange, tvo seems to be having some real issues with their data stream. Anybody else in London having this problem. Funny Panamark has issues with 28-1 and I am having isuues with 18-1.

#13 ·
I'm not having issues with 28.1 Paris or 19.1 Toronto. There is some guide data, but it's no longer as far into the future as it was shortly after transition. I now have about a day or so of data.

Panamark: This "lots of signal but no audio/video" issue...does it happen one all sets at the same time? Or just the one tuner?

#14 ·
Panamark: This "lots of signal but no audio/video" issue...does it happen one all sets at the same time? Or just the one tuner?
I have an older Panasonic Plasma that is having this issue. Now today when I went to check on it the picture and sound were there but the PISP read 28-1 WCMZ from the previous night's tropo from Michigan.

My Samsung has continues to be plagued with PISP issues from London 18-1 as now it just reads 18-1, no description. They must be trying to repair these issues.

Actually tonight my newer Panasonic will not display sound or picture for London TVO.

#15 ·
While most other Canadian stations/networks have had at least a few years of digital "experience", TVO is unfortunately late to the digital OTA game. I'm sure there will be issues for some time as their technical staff catch up on the learning curve.

The other issue that I suspect for the Paris transmitter is microwave fade. While I'm not certain that TVO Paris is fed by microwave, I suspect that CIII Paris is. Thus my question of whether the issue impacted all sets at the same time.

If TVO London is fed by microwave, you'll find similar fade issues during periods of temperature change, fog, heavy rain, etc.

I might bike by the Paris site tomorrow to see if there's fibre heading into the site....just for my own curiosity. Maybe RFMAN can comment?

#17 ·
Is anyone having problems with TVO 33 chatham? My all three tv's show 100% SQ but, on main tv an LG, has no A/V and the station ID is two chinesey characters and two @ symbols.

Zinwell converter has no problems with the channel.

Bedroom tv (LG also) hasn't been on in awhile but justr checked it and it was on TVO when turned on. For a split second it was coming in perfect, then went black and quiet and ID changed like the LG downstairs.

Should be on "Shatner's Weird or What?" but anyways was wondering if anyone else was having this problem.

Also a week ago or so it was coming in perfectly on everything

#18 ·
You wanna talk weird?

I posted Saturday about my Toshiba not being able to display a virtual channel. Well, on Sunday it started displaying apparently random virtual channel numbers for tvo. First it came up as 4-1, then 3-1, then 5-1, then 29-1, then 64-1 and then the best of all 80-1! How can you come up with 80-1 when it is only supposed to go up to 69? It was better than not coming through at all and it was 1080i so I am not complaining just wondering what is going on.

#20 ·
When a virtual channel conflict is detected, some tuners will re-assign a higher virtual channel. My CM7000Pal DVR does this when it detects two channels with the same virtual channel.

#24 ·
TVO CH 19 From Toronto - A Receiver Killer

Imagine my surprise when on last Friday and Saturday the moment I tuned onto CH 19 my receiver shut down. It restarted automatically (rebooted) OK but the moment CH 19 popped up, off it went again. It can't be the receiver because it doesn't happen on any other channel.

I am not absolutely sure but the problem seems to have been related to the EPG data stream because today there is no EPG and no automatic shutdown.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

#25 ·
I've seen similar issues with my CM7000Pal DVR. There is no doubt in my mind that corrupt PSIP data can play havoc with some tuners.

#26 ·
Until very recently, the TVO PSIP info (specifically trying to display the EPG) would cause my Samsung Plasma to loose all EPG info for other channels. That behaviour stopped when they at least corrected the mapping issue.

So yes, it would seem that bad PSIP data can indeed affect things that it shouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.