Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331 - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:39 PM

on another vein, I do have 20-some feet between my VHF in the attic and my 7777 on the roof !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 04:31 PM

Quote:
@backpackster can you provide your TVFool and antenna info? I'm trying to decide if Global is going to be a possibility for me in Kemptville. My LG TV spends a long time on channel 6 when scanning but I get no signal at the moment.
My LG TV also hovers around 6. Autoscan then skips it. I need to go in and manually add global even though it is my strongest local signal. Then all is perrrrfect.
post #228 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
statik. Not a dud, but just a poor quality amp (You get what you pay for). A NF of 5dB isn't very good (ya I know mine is similar, but I bought as a test from a store that has a good return policy). That brand is also banned from this forum for shady business practices. I would return it if you can.

The CM-7777 is much better and also has an FM trap (which you should use). I would also recommend getting a good VHF-LO antenna (an amp cannot make up for a poor antenna).

People are getting all sorts of crazy setups to work, but the weather is good right now. Once the weather gets bad, their reception may change and that is not a fun time to be on the roof to fix things.
So the CM-7777 made a big difference in all my channels; picking up many more than I did before (I scan 20 channels now). But still no Global-TV.

I tried using a home made folded dipole tuned for channel-6 as well. I get a reasonable amount of power (8 bars out of 10 on my samsung TV) but it still just shows up black.

I tried moving the rabbit ears out the window; but same problem; lots of power; but no decoding. I guess I'll have to move to a directional antenna.
post #229 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 06:15 PM

try a rescan
i had the same issue
stayed black until a rescan as the chanel pids changed
if the signal is that strong it should work
post #230 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charettepa View Post
try a rescan
i had the same issue
stayed black until a rescan as the chanel pids changed
if the signal is that strong it should work
Re-scanned but still no luck... I may move my setup into the attic this weekend; starting to look at options for directional antennas.

My current antenna room faces east which is good for HC; but CF is due north. If I go the attic I can point the antenna better.

Scott
post #231 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 07:19 PM

not a very good chance of global working indoors
good luck with attic
i had to go to roof for it to work
and im only 16 miles away
i still get a little bit of pixelation
post #232 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 07:41 PM
Rookie

So in looking for a VHF-LO antenna;

Looking at:
VIP-302SR
AntennaCraft Y5-2-6

Both are huge (9' wide); any recommendations for other directional antennas which are more compact?
post #233 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 07:47 PM
Corporate Supporter

What kind of Gain are U looking for?

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #234 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 08:49 PM

A channel cut yogi for ch6 like the 5y6s would be smaller, if you can find one
post #235 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
The 9' elements on both the VIP-302SR and Y5-2-6 are for channel 2. As flavoie suggested, a cut-channel Yagi for channel 6 would be smaller (about 6' wide). The laws of physics prevent an antenna for channel 6 from being smaller than that without sacrificing gain.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #236 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Could something like an FM broadcast yagi work for channel 6?
post #237 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 10:55 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yes, but if it is a commercial FM radio antenna model you would need to do some careful research because many of those designs intentionally had very steep dropoffs below 88MHz where channel 6 lives.
post #238 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 10:57 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
The laws of physics prevent an antenna for channel 6 from being smaller than that without sacrificing gain.
Unfortunately the quarter-wave option really does not work well in the VHF-LO band either, so there is no high performance mini-antenna solution.
post #239 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
While it might work, I wouldn't reccomend using an FM antenna for channel 6. One of the issues receiving channel 6 is FM interference and an FM antenna will maximize that especially since most of the FM stations (especially the high power ones) in Ottawa also originate from Camp Fortune.

I can't help but wonder if moving Global to HC would help with reception a bit, but changing channels would be a better solution overall.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #240 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 03:27 PM
Rookie

global tv psip?

Hello,

I am near Island Park/Westboro Transit Station in the middle of Ottawa with an HTPC setup using Windows 7 Media Center and a Hauppage 950Q.
I have a DBGH (8bay) in the attic.

I get Global TV on my set in perfect HD just fine at 92% signal strength, I get it just fine in Hauppage WinTV 7 software on the HTPC, but I do not get it through Windows MCE.

I even added it manually and rescanned many times, and MCE behaves like Global TV is an invalid signal though the signal strength meter is good.

I read in other threads that Global's DT settings affected other people as well, like the PSIP settings would not be recognized by Windows Media Center.

I get all the other Digital's (that are in signal range) fine,
(CBC 100%, CITY 75%, SUN 100%, OMNI1 50%, OMNI2 20%, TVO 100%)

I wonder if MCE recognizes ATSC at VHF-LO frequencies. (i.e. 6)

I think it is something different about Global's channel settings that Media Center is not recognizing. I wonder if it is some conflict with the old analog 6, something left in the registries of Windows.

Any advice?

I think I will try next to reset everything in MCE and restart again with the ATSC hacks from Peter Near and such...

How to clear MCE:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clear...ia-center.html
Code:
Yes – close media center and then run the MediaCenterRecoveryTask from the task scheduler (i.e. right click on it and choose Run). Dont do the run from elevated. Im pretty sure it needs the System account to run.

After its run, check that all the %programdata%\microsoft\ehome\mcepg*.db files are deleted.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.